View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 10 of 41 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

It's time for the vote roundup and breakdown

• Mr. Terrific is still leading the pack with 17.02% of the votes
    • in 2nd place we have Black Lightning with 14.89%
    • following him is Static in 3rd place with 10.64%
    • 4th place we have Amanda Waller with 8.51%
    • 5th place is Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm) with 6.38%
    • in 6th place, we have Bronze Tiger, Black Manta, the Steels (I&II), and Bumblebee (making a jump from last place) all tied with each with 4.26%
    • in 8th place we have Icon & Rocket 2.86% each
    • 9th and last place we have Nubia, Duke Thomas, Wallace West, and Naomi McDuffie with 0% each

aside from Nubia, last place is composed of all the characters who've been around for less than a decade.

'Other' accounts for the 23.40% of the vote.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    That looks so good. Looks like Jorge Jimenez art. It's rare to see John Smile.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeing Cool is reporting John Ridley's 5G Batman series isn't happening anymore https://bleedingcool.com/comics/john...an-5g-no-more/
    welp, iunno bout y'all but this is some sad news for me
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Incredible Member

You'd have thought they could just repurpose it into an elseworlds / out of continuity black label book. The idea + writer seems like it could be a winner.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    You'd have thought they could just repurpose it into an elseworlds / out of continuity black label book. The idea + writer seems like it could be a winner.
    If not Luke as batman how about as Batwing. You have a bigger name than Coats (over at Marvel). Ridley will get you some press without even trying. Along with the fact you have a script writer of movies on the book and that make it easier to transfer to film....

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    If not Luke as batman how about as Batwing. You have a bigger name than Coats (over at Marvel). Ridley will get you some press without even trying. Along with the fact you have a script writer of movies on the book and that make it easier to transfer to film....
    Why not both. Spin a batwing book out of a mini series about old bruce passing mantle onto luke.

Id be surprised that once dust settles and they look through things they commissioned for 5g (if its all true) that they didnt start to think.. ok what can we repurpose here and an 'old bruce' story is pretty safe ground as no one expects any 'old bruce' story to be canon so you could use it as a what if to launch a new batwing book and hopefully that would introduce more people to the character and drum up extra sales. Stick it in black label so people know its a prestige even out of continuity and then either spin a batwing book out of it into main continuity or just do mini series in black label and let it be a prestige format character.

The only problem i can see with that idea is that youd know how the batwing story would end - ie he takes bruces mantle which might weaken stories for readers but i think black label readers just want a self contained story rather than 'continuity' so it might not matter on that imprint.

Theres a strong idea and team there - youd like to think they wouldnt just bin the whole idea but then its comics.. who knows.

And like you say - plenty potential there to capitalise in other media.

At some point though, if all the ideas they have with Ridley keep falling apart for a myriad of reasons, they are going to have to say - here's some money - do whatever you want until stars align and we can launch something big together
    Last edited by iron chimp; 05-12-2020 at 03:41 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Why not both. Spin a batwing book out of a mini series about old bruce passing mantle onto luke.

At some point though, if all the ideas they have with Ridley keep falling apart for a myriad of reasons, they are going to have to say - here's some money - do whatever you want until stars align and we can launch something big together

That is how Marvel did Rhodey when he was Iron man for the second time. He got the War Machine armor and that was it. He did get at least 4-5 min/solo runs.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is how Marvel did Rhodey when he was Iron man for the second time. He got the War Machine armor and that was it. He did get at least 4-5 min/solo runs.
    I guess it just depends if DC decides to retool the 5g idea or everything is just getting dumped. But they've done a hell of a lot of work building up batwing in a coherent way- and the progression to being batman is totally logical - and who doesnt like old batman in a story - would seem very foolish to dump a potentially very good story line.

Mighty Member

ABF285F9-DB82-4C0D-917C-1D4483459DAC.jpg

5292A243-E13A-4D72-AB33-DF3BD0514292.jpg

I never I’d see Beth effing Chapel in live-action. It’s sad how black superheroes are still a rarity on the big and small screen.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

From the writer

upcoming Jackson Hyde centered storyline in Aquaman! plus the writer shared a Jackson inspired playlist

currently following:

Extraordinary Member

With HBO Max planning a few new DC shows, I think a great candidate would be Mr. Terrific. The modern day super-science adventurer.

Extraordinary Member

Keep in mind superhero movies and shows before 2000's was extremely rare anyway.
    So white or asian etc.. superheroes were still highly rare on big and small screen if you talking live action.
    Superhero Animation was less rare but still rare as well.
    Now these days there are alot more poc and white superheros in live action,movies and shows but the live action superhero genre is rare if you compare it to comedies,horror and cop shows and movies for example.

Updated list.
    THREAD: WHAT WILL BE DC'S ANSWER TO WHAT MIGHT BE AN AWESOME BLACK PANTHER MOVIE?
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...r-movie/page32
    and
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...r-movie/page33
    Last edited by mace11; 05-16-2020 at 05:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    welp, iunno bout y'all but this is some sad news for me
    Considering that I'd been hyping myself up on a Luke-as-Batman DC world, you're not the only person saddened by this new rumor. So much potential...

repost from the John Stewart thread

check out the description on what it says about what McDuffie's story is going to be about with John Stewart:
    “Reverse The Polarity,” by Charlotte (Fullerton) McDuffie and ChrisCross

In a story that should pluck the heartstrings of any Justice League Unlimited fan, Charlotte (Fullerton) McDuffie and ChrisCross team up for an adventure featuring John Stewart and Hawkgirl. In this sweet tribute to the late Dwayne McDuffie. John and Kendra are trapped in the Watchtower by Dr. Polaris after her takes control of a mysterious element that enhances his powers.

So it looks like there's finally going to be a John/Hawkgirl moment in the story. Man, I couldn't be even more excited to see this.

Charlotte Fullerton doing a quick story for John Stewart, and it's with a former Milestone artist! you guys think this could point to Milestone news coming sooner than later.

currently following: