View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Fair enough.

If you really believe so. (Again, this misses the point. Or obfuscates it. I dunno which, but in conversations like this one, it's not good either way.)
    If the point is that dark skin gets passed over for eurocentric notions of beauty as Lemonpeace posited then thats not a fact at all. Thats just a theory. MACE11 has provided a counter theory to it. But you re the one just dismissing it and claiming its an attempt to distract conversation and then appointing yrself gatekeeper of a conversation so thats def not good any way

Incredible Member

So I was reading up on Mal Duncan, because I was having a hard time seeing his appeal. For the most part he just seem like a normal dude, and not even like Batman normal ( goes around fighting crime with gadgets, sidekicks, and costumes.) He's just kind of...there for the most part.

Now I already new he was DC first black super hero, but what I didn't know is that he might have the first comic interracial kiss with Lilith Clay. The editor who kept the scene despite people telling him to take it out received hate mail and also a little bit of support. Thought that was a pretty cool attack.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You aren't going to notice a trend white characters because it is way bigger and more varied sample pool even with the families of characters having the same power. You will easy notice a trend when it small pool of characters.
    Well if are you talking about american created comics people would notice a tend when it's a smaller but still a large group of characters today.
    Back way in the past it was more noticeable.

Then more importantly look at this Flash is the most amazing speed user imo, Superman is the most amazing strength/ power guy imo,etc.
    By the way i know there are characters(heroes,villains etc..) that are as strong or stronger and just as powerful or more powerful then superman and characters(heroes,villains etc..) as fast or faster then flash.
    Of course many of those are less known.
    Last edited by mace11; 09-08-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    May be called Strange Adventures, but damn if Holt hasn’t been the real MVP. This sequence shook me up.

Oh man, I think I remember Bones telling Michael that his wife was pregnant during the car crash if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    If the point is that dark skin gets passed over for eurocentric notions of beauty as Lemonpeace posited then thats not a fact at all. Thats just a theory. MACE11 has provided a counter theory to it. But you re the one just dismissing it and claiming its an attempt to distract conversation and then appointing yrself gatekeeper of a conversation so thats def not good any way
    It's not a theory. It's a cold hard fact but it's just one you don't agree with.

I have to give DC props as they’re using John and Jefferson in big events and pushing Mr Terrific as well, finally giving him his own mythos. If they continue this, along with the returns of Static and Icon, they can have a very strong roster of Black male superheroes and not have to rely on Cyborg constantly (Geoff and Didio leaving did wonders for DC’s Black characters). Hopefully they do something with Vixen, Bumblebee and Rocket too!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoBlade2 View Post
    It's not a theory. It's a cold hard fact but it's just one you don't agree with.
    Well yes if you choose to ignore the gigantic list of very dark skinned style icons of the 20th century then it will be a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I have to give DC props as they’re using John and Jefferson in big events and pushing Mr Terrific as well, finally giving him his own mythos. If they continue this, along with the returns of Static and Icon, they can have a very strong roster of Black male superheroes and not have to rely on Cyborg constantly (Geoff and Didio leaving did wonders for DC’s Black characters). Hopefully they do something with Vixen, Bumblebee and Rocket too!
    Jefferson and John’s presence stood out to me. I’m hoping for not necessarily big things for them, but for consistent things going forward.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh man, I think I remember Bones telling Michael that his wife was pregnant during the car crash if I remember correctly.
    Yes she was expecting at the tiem of oher death. In a JSA special at the end they showed her tombstone and the baby's next to hers. I think it was a boy.

To be fair in both cases-it VARIES depending on where you live, what you read and what you watch and what job you do.

If one was to say there are no black lead books and ONLY look at Dc & Marvel-folks would agree.

Now if you tossed in everyone else-it's not true. With some (like Image) having more than 2 (in their case 5 at one time).

So who is right?

Both are. Because the two who have their black folks in movies and tv shows are lacking behind those who don't. Especially DC.

Spawn, Malcolm Dragon, Miles and Panther have tossed out more solo issues in the 2000s than any DC black character. Moon Girl has more.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/chri...-comic-for-dc/

oday DC Comics has launched a new digital-first comic book, called Represent! The first issue is free and available now, It's a Bird by Christian Cooper and Alitha E. Martinez. You may recognise Christian Cooper as the former Marvel Comics editor and Star Trek comics writer accosted in New York's Central Park while birdwatching, with threats that the person would call the police and tell them that an "African American man" was threatening her, with all that this implied. The event received national coverage and was a contributing factor to the rise of the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

"This digital series is designed to showcase and introduce creators traditionally underrepresented in the mainstream comic book medium," said executive editor Marie Javins. "We'll highlight both new and familiar voices, beginning with 'It's a Bird' by writer Christian Cooper and artist Alitha E. Martinez, a semi-fictionalized account of Christian's very real evolution from a kid with a pair of binoculars to a man in an unexpected media spotlight after an altercation with a woman walking her dog in Central Park." It's A Bird, echoing the famous Superman line, tells the story of a young Black birdwatcher gifted with a pair of binoculars that allow him to learn the stories of Amadou Diallo, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd.

Christian Cooper says that the new EIC Marie Javins and the departing VP, Global Publishing Initiatives & Digital Strategy Bobbie Chase "approached me about possibly doing a comic story that tapped into my experience. I thought, "I don't know, DC Comics? Superheroes? Not sure how that's going to work." We kicked around a couple of ideas. They said they had gotten the title, I'm not sure exactly from who, but somebody pretty high up in the DC food chain: "It's a Bird." It took me half a beat. "Oh…I get what you did there." Once I had the title, the story wrote itself."

We will miss you Bobbie Chase.

Mighty Member

I notice some villains on here, maybe because this character is confined to the magical realm, he's unknown for many, but for Constantine fans he's a fav.

My favorite DC character is Steel(John Henry Irons), he's the first black character from DC I was exposed to in the 90's.
    Any recommended books I should read for his new 52 status quo?
    Was happy to see him on the cover of Generations shattered, coming in December I will check that out.

cool image of Natasha Irons I stumbled across.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowras View Post
    My favorite DC character is Steel(John Henry Irons), he's the first black character from DC I was exposed to in the 90's.
    Any recommended books I should read for his new 52 status quo?
    Was happy to see him on the cover of Generations shattered, coming in December I will check that out.
    Morrison’s Action Comics run, Sholly Fisch wrote a great back up story with John in it. He was also part of Pak’s Action Comics run, and Superwoman Rebirth. I loved his role in 52, along with his niece. I still need to read Christopher Priest’s Steel run but I’ve heard that was good.

quick little Blerd & Boujee report

Ron Marz will be writing for Endless Winter and says John Stewart will be playing a significant role in the event as the Green Lantern for that story. He also hints that there may be plans for John in the future since apparently this will be setting up John's direction going forward. I'm hoping that means a solo for John is in the works. [article]

the follow up for that announcement Snyder had about Duke's upcoming story; Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Dark Nights Metal. Looks like we'll be seeing Duke as The Last Moniter assembling the Final Justice League in an attempt to save the Multiverse. The story's by Scott Snyder, Collin Kelly, and Jackson Lanzing, with Karl Mostert on art. we even got a little bit of hype from one of the writers

we got an incoming Vixen from Geoffrey Thorne and artist Chris Crosser. I wanted to include the tweet but his announcement was pretty quickly taken down but we still have the image of Vixen's new look drawn and redesigned by Crosser. No word what the story may be about. we'll probably learn more when they announce it properly.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-22-2020 at 02:16 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

So weird to have a bird on her crotch. Her last design was better, it just needed to be used more.