View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The whole point of the Venditti run is to end the reincarnations, though. They're done. They don't get anymore. They were given one last life as a reward, but when they die, that's it. At this point the only way to do it is to say it's a reincarnation that was in the future, but that complicates the Hawks again.

Just make a new Hawkman at this point. They finally fixed it after 80 years. I'm more than happy to have another Hawkman but I think Venditti's run has been so good I want it to actually stick.

Dope artwork, by the way.

I'll add one I found on Twitter. Art by Dan Hipp.

Attachment 101209

It's a fun style and I dig the pauldron. I could go for an animated show about the Hawks in this style, though the first one you posted would be ideal if they were trying to appeal to a wider age range.

Found it on Tim Board (probably the world's most devout Hawkfan)'s twitter where he posted this repository of artwork regarding a black Hawkman following the casting announcement.

https://flytohawkworld.blogspot.com/...s-hawkman.html

I can't wait to see Aldis Hodge as Hawkman. I never thought I'd live to see Aquaman on the silver screen, let alone Hawkman. What a time to be alive. Hodge is going to be great if they give him the material to work with.
    if Venditti's run was finished, sure I might believe that, but even then reincarnation has kinda become Hawkman's thing; there are a million and one ways to reincarnate Hawkman. it's like when they said "oh, the Flash no longer can Time Travel", they still found a way to have him time travel anyway. plus, I feel now of all times DC would be silly to end Hawkman's reincarnation concept while having almost exclusively used it for him being a white dude (sans Khufu) through space and time. hell for all we know, there is probably another lateral reincarnation like they did with Hawkgirl. I feel we're long pass the days when the Hawks' reincarnation was "confusing", unless you are trying to figure out how DC Comics got the characters to this point after years of managerial incompetence, everyone understands how reincarnation works and Venditti offered a simple addition of "oh and they reincarnate across space-time and dimensions so that's how multiple can coexist" boom "fixed" and poised to use going forward. I'm not saying Venditti or DC changed the story so they can add black Hawkman at the end either, it's not like it's all that much of a narrative stretch, it just takes it like a or two panel: "oh btw, it's me, god or whatever. yo carter you trynna hook me up and just continue protecting space and time of your own free will? or more time? I'm god? everybody love me." and then carter like "yeah I got you my G; g for God." like I said crazier things have happened.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-07-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    The thing with Dr. Mist is that his traditional niche as the ultra-experienced magic user and leader of the occult community is occupied by Dr. Fate/Constantine, more popular and storied characters. I think it'd be cool if DC let him keep that role but made it distinct. Like Constantine is a drifter but has connects and respect all across the world of magic. Dr. Fate is a public hero taking care of large scale magic issues in association with the Justice League and Justice Society.

Maybe put Nommo in charge of SHADE, since his New 52 version worked for the occult division of ARGUS. Recanonize him as the last sorcerer-king of Kor and reveal he created the organization to help governments contain mystical threats. That way he can still play that elder statesman role and play off the other magic DC characters from a position of authority. Maybe even give him some kids that act as top agents for that legacy aspect. DC could use their own Blade and it'd be great if Nommo has a monster hunter son or something running around.

As far another black character that needs a push, I'd say Bronze Tiger. I'm rereading the Ostrander run and it's mind-blowing that a character who was so central to the narrative of this iconic series is ignored in the current mythos. And his presence in the world of espionage hasn't done much to elevate him as it's been years since a good book came from that side of the DCU. I think he could also use a retooling, but as is he still has plenty of potential.
    All of these ideas are very cool, but as a Castlevania fan this part interest me greatly. Blade was my first marvel movie and Castlevania Aria of Sorrow was my first Castlevania game. These two lend to great ideas for a superhero that could even get his own game eventually like batman.

I like the Shade idea and Dr. Mist needs to be used more. Hell I'd say the magical characters in DC needs more action as well outside of JLD. I'd also try to squeeze Empress in there as well
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member

I like the idea that Dr. Mist is more of a Phantom Stranger than a Dr. Fate, more prone to step from the shadows and warn heroes of danger, than fight it directly, and more likely to put the tools in the hands of people to solve problems, than to do it himself (particularly in the hint that he's created magical items in the past that have empowered others, such as, perhaps, Bloodwynd's gem, or Sargon's Ruby of Life, or Dr. Occult's talisman, or the totems used by Vixen & co? There have been no specific examples, but there certainly could be, and those items, AFAIK, don't have origins that contradict the idea that an immortal Nommo crafted them centuries ago and planted them in places for heroic souls to find and use in the fight against evil).

I once proposed a Sentinels of Magic team. Dr Mist could serve as a benefactor of such a team like Phantom Stranger did to the Shadowpact.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sentinels of Magic

In order to make sure the war between the Lords of Order and Chaos does not go too far and threaten humanity, a team of magic users join forces to keep them in check.

Pandora - A creation of the Greek gods who knows all too well how vulnerable mortals are to the whims of deities. She is skilled in both magic and firearms.

Lilith Clay - The team's precog. She foresees the destruction the war between Chaos and Order will bring and helps bring the team together.

Lourdes Lucero/La Encantadora - A former villain turning on a new leaf.

Jinx - Same as above with Lucero.

Bloodwynd - A scholar whose education leads him to the path of the team and the Lords.

Daniel Crow-Brings-Darkness/Dark-Crow - A Canadian superhero who joins the team after encountering a Lord of Order in Canada.*

OC character who is a descendant of Arak, Son of Thunder.

Flying Fox - A new wielder of the mantel.

* I don't know if Dark-Crow's powers are magical in nature but that tends to be the case for DC's shadowmancers.

So Future State...

We have some black characters but half of them won't matter after 2 months unless this event becomes an imprint.

Edit: B/c I've been reading some speculation maybe some of these characters will exist beyond 2 months.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 10-15-2020 at 05:44 PM.

written by JOHN RIDLEY
    art by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and ANDREA CUCCHI
    cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI and MARCO MASTRAZZO
    variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
    PRESTIGE PLUS FORMAT | ON SALE 1/26/21
    $6.99 US | 48 PAGES | 2 OF 5 | FC
    8.5" x 10.875"
    DC BLACK LABEL | AGES 17+ | BIMONTHLY
    Before the New Teen Titans, there were the original Teen Titans. In the tumultuous 1970s, in an America that was very different than today but in many ways all too familiar, the trials and tribulations of these young heroes were witnessed by two of DC's first Black superheroes: Karen Beecher-Duncan, better known as Bumblebee, and Mal Duncan—even if their versions of events are often at odds. And across that decade, they fought for their seats at the Titans' table while joining the battle against injustice.
    The long-awaited miniseries written by Academy Award-winning screenwriter John Ridley (12 Years a Slave, Let It Fall) and beautifully illustrated by Giuseppe Camuncoli and Andrea Cucchi continues to look at the mythology of the DC Universe as seen through the prism of DC Super Heroes who come from traditionally disenfranchised groups.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Future State: Green Lantern #1

“The Last Lanterns” written by GEOFFREY THORNE art by TOM RANEY
    “The Book of Guy” written by ERNIE ALTBACKER
    “The Last Lanterns” art by CLAYTON HENRY
    “The Taking of Sector 123” written by RYAN CADY
    “The Taking of Sector 123” art by SAMI BASRI
    cover by CLAYTON HENRY
    card stock variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL

ON SALE 1/12/21

“Assigned to map and contact new lifeforms past the 3,600 known sectors of space protected by the Green Lantern Corps, John Stewart and an elite team of Lanterns are trapped behind enemy lines and fighting for their lives when the Central Power Battery goes dark and leaves the entire corps defenseless. Meanwhile, across the cosmos, Green Lantern Jessica Cruz finds herself powerless and forced to battle the invading Yellow Lanterns of the Sinestro Corps, and Guy Gardner, trapped on a distant world, decides to reopen Warriors Bar.”

"Last Lanterns," the lead story in the 44-page oversized book, sees Stewart leading the charge on a planet "just about to be overrun by a galactic religious cult. It’s their last stand against this group." However, the Central Battery that the Lanterns rely on to charge their power rings is out of energy. "Think of it like The Magnificent Seven," Carr said. "What happens to all these Green Lanterns if the power battery dies? John Stewart and his ragtag group of former Green Lanterns prove that you can still do good without the rings."

BANNED

Dude, I am so pumped for this-- Really great to see they hired you to tell this one and happy to see John getting a spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Dude, I am so pumped for this-- Really great to see they hired you to tell this one and happy to see John getting a spotlight
    when i say i'm amazed at what they're letting us do, it's an understatement.

i wish i could say, well, ANYTHING about it, but nothing people have said, guess-wise, is anywhere close

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    when i say i'm amazed at what they're letting us do, it's an understatement.

i wish i could say, well, ANYTHING about it, but nothing people have said, guess-wise, is anywhere close
    hmmm, that's interesting. can you say whether this story will have an affect on or connects to anything they have in store for John and the Green Lantern Corps down the pipeline?

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    hmmm, that's interesting. can you say whether this story will have an affect on or connects to anything they have in store for John and the Green Lantern Corps down the pipeline?
    nope. sorry. i can't discuss anything post-Future State. Hell, there's things I can't talk about that are happening alongside Future State. next year will be fun, is all I can promise you.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    nope. sorry. i can't discuss anything post-Future State. Hell, there's things I can't talk about that are happening alongside Future State. next year will be fun, is all I can promise you.
    shoot! understandable tho. what can you say about the upcoming book that won't get you in trouble?

currently following:

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    shoot! understandable tho. what can you say about the upcoming book that won't get you in trouble?
    epic. cosmic. action-packed. smart. brutal. tragic. steeped in DC mythology. nothing like anyone expects.

Tom Raney is drawing the HELL out of this book.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    A) Yes!

B) He's sharing a cover with G'nort, which causes me physical pain.

It's like, "You get a Vixen book! Yay! Oh, and she's sharing it with Ambush Bug..."