View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah to be fair though a lot of Milestone fans do want Milestone to have its own universe to play in.
    Yeah can't really blame DC when they do give people what they want.

Admittedly, that might be due to DC's mishandling of the Milestone properties.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hah to be fair though a lot of Milestone fans do want Milestone to have its own universe to play in.
    The same with Wildstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    You're approaching that Nightwing conundrum in which he works best out of Bruce's shadow and yet they keep bringing him back in. I know you're not the biggest Dick fan (just like I don't care much for Jason), but I really hope Jason is able to escape Bat-orbit for you guys. Nothing worse than getting brought in to job for Batdad and then editorial spins your plates.
    I feel like it defeats the point of a Batfamily if the characters barely associate with each other, and it doesn't need to necessitate bad writing or use to have them be involved with each other, but Jason's in an interesting spot on that front.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    So does anyone think we'll get any black led books in March or do I need slow my roll and hope for a black hero on the main team.

Yeah... Bendis has a bit of a hatedom online and he's not as big a draw as he used to be but man the essay I could write about Bendis pacing being similar to how manga or novels are paced or the fact that his wordy-ness in his comics probably appeal to book readers and the cherry on top is his eye for artists.

I don't want to sell what Bendis does with the comic side of things short, but yeah Bendis was one of the writers chosen for that creative committee thing for the marvel movies before it was disbanded and his characters (and his storylines) are seemingly being adapted one after the other, so if live action is where the money is, I can see that being a big draw for DC.

If I remember correctly when it was announced Bendis was joining DC, I believe Bleeding Cool said that his contract contained him doing outside comic media for them so Naomi may just be the start.
    Green Lantern.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Based on current rumors from a Brazilian comic panel, the most likely Black-led book would be Green Lantern by Geoffrey Thorne and Tom Raney. If true, not sure if that would launch in March or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Johnston View Post
    Green Lantern.
    I'm excited for John led book then.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I completely understand that, my biggest issues with Nightwing stem from his relation to Batman in one way or another, and the times I have enjoyed him typically are when Batman is nowhere to be seen. I understand DC wants to use Batman as an easy way to "boost" these characters visibility, but I feel characters like Jason and Dick have just about reached that point where they don't need that anymore; Barbara is definitely there too. well, here's hoping the new regime can see these characters' value where the previous one could not.

You said it, dude. Dick's ties to so many of DC's families through The World's Finest and Titans honestly makes him a great anchor for a team-up book and it's where I've wanted to see him go. If we must cancel Nightwing, have him lead The Brave and the Bold with a new guest every issue (... Fine, Batman can get one eventually...)

Jason... Having read the Dark Trinity stuff, I think he can absolutely hold a book with a strong core gimmick or cast, but Batman kind of ruins both of them. He becomes a blind spot for Bruce's killing/gun policy and Jason essentially has to use nerf guns and pretend he's a good boy so long as Bruce is around. Not saying he's Frank Castle, but neither character really works well together. Both need to leave his shadow.

Bringing things more in line with the thread, I've often wondered if Jefferson Pierce would be a solid mentor for Jason on a Black Lightning-led Outsiders book. Jeff's experience with young people ranging from bright to troubled and everywhere in between, his history fighting crime and having been a man driven by righteous fury who has changed his approach with age... I think he'd find a way to bring Jason in a bit more and help that kid in ways Bruce couldn't. Bruce's biggest failure was how great Dick turned out overall because it probably convinced him the Robin program is a working model when, really, it isn't. Half of them are troubled murderers and the others turned out fine, not counting Steph (because her tenure was too short to have usable data) which honestly wouldn't help Bruce's case anyway.

I think Jason joining Jeff's Outsiders would actually help both characters out a lot. They would both develop the other in interesting ways. Tatsu would probably help Jason focus that rage that always makes him backslide into violence and temper it too. I've long been of the belief that Jefferson Pierce is one of the DCU's best role models and it'd be a great feather in his cap and testament to how rad a character he is just by his ideals if he could save Jason Todd when Batman failed.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-07-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Bringing things more in line with the thread, I've often wondered if Jefferson Pierce would be a solid mentor for Jason on a Black Lightning-led Outsiders book. Jeff's experience with young people ranging from bright to troubled and everywhere in between, his history fighting crime and having been a man driven by righteous fury who has changed his approach with age...
    I don't think Jeff ever mentored another crime fighter. He didn't mentor Halo back in the original Outsiders, he didn't mentor his own daughters when they pop up and he didn't mentor Cass and Duke in the last incarnation of Outsiders.

And I kind of doubt that a book was led by Jeff if Jason was in it...

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I don't think Jeff ever mentored another crime fighter. He didn't mentor Halo back in the original Outsiders, he didn't mentor his own daughters when they pop up and he didn't mentor Cass and Duke in the last incarnation of Outsiders.

And I kind of doubt that a book was led by Jeff if Jason was in it...
    Let me dream, dude.

You said it, dude. Dick's ties to so many of DC's families through The World's Finest and Titans honestly makes him a great anchor for a team-up book and it's where I've wanted to see him go. If we must cancel Nightwing, have him lead The Brave and the Bold with a new guest every issue (... Fine, Batman can get one eventually...)

Jason... Having read the Dark Trinity stuff, I think he can absolutely hold a book with a strong core gimmick or cast, but Batman kind of ruins both of them. He becomes a blind spot for Bruce's killing/gun policy and Jason essentially has to use nerf guns and pretend he's a good boy so long as Bruce is around. Not saying he's Frank Castle, but neither character really works well together. Both need to leave his shadow.

Bringing things more in line with the thread, I've often wondered if Jefferson Pierce would be a solid mentor for Jason on a Black Lightning-led Outsiders book. Jeff's experience with young people ranging from bright to troubled and everywhere in between, his history fighting crime and having been a man driven by righteous fury who has changed his approach with age... I think he'd find a way to bring Jason in a bit more and help that kid in ways Bruce couldn't. Bruce's biggest failure was how great Dick turned out overall because it probably convinced him the Robin program is a working model when, really, it isn't. Half of them are troubled murderers and the others turned out fine, not counting Steph (because her tenure was too short to have usable data) which honestly wouldn't help Bruce's case anyway.

I think Jason joining Jeff's Outsiders would actually help both characters out a lot. They would both develop the other in interesting ways. Tatsu would probably help Jason focus that rage that always makes him backslide into violence and temper it too. I've long been of the belief that Jefferson Pierce is one of the DCU's best role models and it'd be a great feather in his cap and testament to how rad a character he is just by his ideals if he could save Jason Todd when Batman failed.
    I’d love that because I love BL & RH

Well, the "Robin Program" helped redeem one of those troubled murderers (Damian) and probably helped keep Jason on a righteous path in-spite of all his mental trauma and anger, so I wouldn't say it was a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the "Robin Program" helped redeem one of those troubled murderers (Damian) and probably helped keep Jason on a righteous path in-spite of all his mental trauma and anger, so I wouldn't say it was a failure.
    The thing is the guys who had good heads on their shoulders turned out okay and the troubled ones stayed troubled and keep backsliding to murder. Essentially, the Robin program makes no real difference in helping them grow. They become who they would have, they're just more potent. Not a glowing endorsement of helping guide young people with traumatic pasts and Tim.

Extraordinary Member

The thing is the guys who had good heads on their shoulders turned out okay and the troubled ones stayed troubled and keep backsliding to murder. Essentially, the Robin program makes no real difference in helping them grow. They become who they would have, they're just more potent. Not a glowing endorsement of helping guide young people with traumatic pasts and Tim.
    It helped Stephanie funny enough

I don't think it's arguable that being Robin gave Jason and Damian a better conscience and belief in justice than they would have had otherwise and without Bruce (or Dick's) influence.

Damian without the Batfamily is stuck as a League of Assassin cultist and Jason would probably still be a passionate and crafty kid on the street.

Started a poll over in the Batman thread: Who do you think is The Next Batman?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

How did Vixen not make this poll?