View Poll Results: Who is your favorite black DC character?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black Lightning

11 12.09%
  • Nubia

2 2.20%
  • Mr. Terrific

11 12.09%
  • Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm)

7 7.69%
  • The Signal (Duke Thomas)

2 2.20%
  • Kid Flash (Wallace West)

1 1.10%
  • Static

11 12.09%
  • Naomi McDuffie

1 1.10%
  • Amanda Waller

6 6.59%
  • Steel (I & II)

6 6.59%
  • Black Manta

5 5.49%
  • Bronze Tiger

6 6.59%
  • Icon & Rocket

1 1.10%
  • Bumblebee

5 5.49%
  • Other

16 17.58%
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Her name is... unlucky. Also her power set is strange (I don't like GL's either). Supermodels are divas.
    A vixen is a female fox, so I don't consider Mari's superheroine name to be unlucky at all, even if the name "vixen" means other weird things in other languages. Also, I don't know what's so strange about having all of the abilities of all living, extinct and mythological animals. And some supermodels are divas, some aren't. They can't all be divas.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I liked her in Ostrander's SS run but nothing since has made me miss her. Sadly I can't think of a black DC heroine aside from Amanda Waller and Vixen. Amanda is great, Vixen unlucky
    Agree. A model code name: Vixen
    Related video vixen... might as well be named "The Thot"

Kind of a petty dislike though if I think about it. I mean she share a power set with buddy "animal man". So I'm betting its held against her unduly.
    *shrug* shes... okay. Once it started implying she could copy peoples super powers because "hey people are animals too!" I realized the powers that be have completely missed the mark.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Agree. A model code name: Vixen
    Related video vixen... might as well be named "The Thot"

Kind of a petty dislike though if I think about it. I mean she share a power set with buddy "animal man". So I'm betting its held against her unduly.
    *shrug* shes... okay. Once it started implying she could copy peoples super powers because "hey people are animals too!" I realized the powers that be have completely missed the mark.
    But since people ARE animals, and Vixen mimics the abilities of animals, how did the powers that be miss the mark? That is completely in her wheelhouse. It's not like the powers that be suddenly made her start mimicking the abilities of Swamp Thing or something. I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss the fact that people are indeed animals or act like she shouldn't be able to mimic super-powered people because they are not usually considered to be animals, which they are. And considering that through the Red, she is connected to ALL animal life (and not just the usual animals we are used to hearing about) it makes sense (well, to me it does).

And that "Video Vixen" thing wasn't around in the 1970s when she was first named, was it? Because if it wasn't, I don't think it's fair to suggest that people will think of her as a thot when her name (female fox) pre-dated the term and stereotype of "video vixen." And I'm willing to bet female foxes were called vixens waaaaaaaay before the term "video vixen" was even thought up.

Also, I found this online:

vixen (n.)
    Old English *fyxen (implied in adjective fyxan), fem. of fox (see fox (n.) and cognate with Middle High German vühsinne, German füchsin). Solitary English survival of the Germanic feminine suffix -en, -in (also in Old English gyden "goddess;" mynecen "nun," from munuc "monk;" wlyfen "she-wolf," etc.). The figurative sense "ill-tempered woman" is attested from 1570s. The spelling shift from -f- to -v- began late 1500s (see V).

But I agree with you on the Animal Man thing; people seem to love Animal Man, and they seem to love Beast Boy, but when it comes to Vixen, sometimes it's like people come out of the woodwork to talk about all of the things that are "wrong" with her and how "broken" she is, even though she has similar powers to Animal Man and Beast Boy, but just uses those powers differently.
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-24-2020 at 09:04 PM.

I liked her in Ostrander's SS run but nothing since has made me miss her. Sadly I can't think of a black DC heroine aside from Amanda Waller and Vixen. Amanda is great, Vixen unlucky
    Waller hasn't exactly had a large string of good stories since Ostrander either. The only good things that have been done with her outside of Ostrander is Rucka's run on Checkmate. Vixen's luck has nothing to do with her name but how DC treats her.

It's time for the vote roundup and breakdown
    • Mr. Terrific is currently leading the pack with 17.14% of the votes
    • in 2nd place we have Black Lightning with 14.29%
    • tied for 3rd place, we have Static and Amanda Waller with 11.43% each
    • in 4th place, Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm) with 8.57%
    • in 5th place, Bronze Tiger with 5.71%
    • tied for 6th place we have Icon & Rocket, the Steels (I &II), and Black Manta with 2.86% each
    • 7th and last place we have Nubia, Duke Thomas, Wallace West, Naomi McDuffie, and Bumblebee with 0% each

'Other' accounts for the 22.86% of the vote.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    It's time for the vote roundup and breakdown
    • Mr. Terrific is currently leading the pack with 17.14% of the votes
    • in 2nd place we have Black Lightning with 14.29%
    • tied for 3rd place, we have Static and Amanda Waller with 11.43% each
    • in 4th place, Aqualad (Jackson Hyde/Kaldur'ahm) with 8.57%
    • in 5th place, Bronze Tiger with 5.71%
    • tied for 6th place we have Icon & Rocket, the Steels (I &II), and Black Manta with 2.86% each
    • 7th and last place we have Nubia, Duke Thomas, Wallace West, Naomi McDuffie, and Bumblebee with 0% each

'Other' accounts for the 22.86% of the vote.
    Wow I wasn't expecting that, I was expecting Static, BL, and Kaldur to have a clear lead over him
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Wow I wasn't expecting that, I was expecting Static, BL, and Kaldur to have a clear lead over him
    Eh, not that surprising. He's the closest to being an ideal without any stereotypes. Given the likely age of users on the forum, teen heroes will likely have less appeal.

This is a sequel thread that's meant to spotlight characters who might have been overshadowed in the first one, but none of them tops "other." Very split support with these candidates.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 04-25-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Mighty Member

You know what I want to see from black superheroes of the DC Universe? I want them to have adversaries they can call their own. It’s a shame that characters like Vixen, Mister Terrific, John Stewart and countless others don’t have a list of their own villains.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin View Post
    You know what I want to see from black superheroes of the DC Universe? I want them to have adversaries they can call their own. It’s a shame that characters like Vixen, Mister Terrific, John Stewart and countless others don’t have a list of their own villains.
    For what it's worth, a lot of heroes share this problem. Black Canary is one who I seriously can't name a villain of her own that actually matters if she even has any, and she's low-A/high-B list. Power Girl is pretty popular and borrows most her villains. The only ones that are kind of her own thing are like a joke from JSA (Da Bomb or some such) or her clone from Winnick's run and nobody ever brought her back. A lot of big DC characters mostly have just one villain to begin with. Starfire has Blackfire, Raven has Trigon, etc. After that they're either team villains or borrowed elsewhere and those that do have those characters from the 80s or before. I agree, I'd love for more villains unique to Vixen, Mister Terrific, John Stewart, etc., but really DC is failing across the board here for most characters.

Meanwhile, Jeff has Tobias Whale and the 100 gang. So at the very least, he's got something going for him that some other big names at DC don't. It's hard because you want to save your best adversaries for a place that will have exposure and then result in you getting the best chance at movie royalties or something. Sucks, but that's quickly become the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    For what it's worth, a lot of heroes share this problem. Black Canary is one who I seriously can't name a villain of her own that actually matters if she even has any, and she's low-A/high-B list. Power Girl is pretty popular and borrows most her villains. The only ones that are kind of her own thing are like a joke from JSA (Da Bomb or some such) or her clone from Winnick's run and nobody ever brought her back. A lot of big DC characters mostly have just one villain to begin with. Starfire has Blackfire, Raven has Trigon, etc. After that they're either team villains or borrowed elsewhere and those that do have those characters from the 80s or before. I agree, I'd love for more villains unique to Vixen, Mister Terrific, John Stewart, etc., but really DC is failing across the board here for most characters.

Meanwhile, Jeff has Tobias Whale and the 100 gang. So at the very least, he's got something going for him that some other big names at DC don't. It's hard because you want to save your best adversaries for a place that will have exposure and then result in you getting the best chance at movie royalties or something. Sucks, but that's quickly become the nature of the beast.
    This is true, a good 90% of heroes either have no rogues gallery or it's extremely weak.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

No John Stewart in the poll? He’s my favorite DC black character.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    John Stewart was included in the previous DC Africana Appreciation poll (and won): https://community.cbr.com/showthread...a-Appreciation
    Last edited by MoneySpider; 04-26-2020 at 04:10 PM.

Incredible Member

He was on the last poll.

gotta read the first page guys.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoneySpider View Post
    John Stewart was included in the previous DC Africana Appreciation poll (and won): https://community.cbr.com/showthread...a-Appreciation
    Cool! I missed that one
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor