Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Default Will new books be on sale next week?

Marvel seems to indicate that there will be a change in sales plans. And there's no preview of next week's new books.

BANNED

Probably not.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Probably not.
    Mutants experienced more than a decade of darkness, just put into the dawn only eight months were subjected to winter... Well, I'm actually more afraid that dox's books will be affected and reduced than that new books will be delayed...

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Probably not.
    That would be my guess.

Surely they have to be planning on digital release? Sure it may drive piracy up, but the music industry isn't stopping because people can't buy physical CDs.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Surely they have to be planning on digital release? Sure it may drive piracy up, but the music industry isn't stopping because people can't buy physical CDs.
    I don't know much about the music industry but comics depend a lot more on retailers and physical copies to live.

I don't think digital does anywhere close to physical, many people don't like to buy digital and prefer to have the books on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I don't know much about the music industry but comics depend a lot more on retailers and physical copies to live.

I don't think digital does anywhere close to physical, many people don't like to buy digital and prefer to have the books on their hands.
    It's true that digital doesn't sell anywhere near physical. So the question is will they continue on schedule in digital and release the physicals later?

For those that only buy physical, would you prefer they halt everything or release everything digitally still on schedule?
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Agreed. Stopping publishing entirely because physical stores are closed seems like really antiquated thinking in this day and age. It’s all about content and pushing said content out as broadly as possibly. Unfortunately physical brick and mortar just cannot compete with digital in this regard.

Also, publishing is such a small part of Disney’s overall revenues. It’s a nit really, and doesn’t matter. But they need the comics to continue coming out because they use those story ideas in other media, like film and Disney+, which is far more profitable. Seems to me they’d want to keep the content factory going during this time.

Also, Diamond should explore direct-to-home fulfillment as an option. The technology is readily available to do this. Using the USPS (assuming they don’t go bankrupt since they’re out of cash by this summer) would make it an affordable option. Especially for folks who buy lots of comics.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 03-27-2020 at 07:40 AM.

Comics publishing is an antiquated industry.

The publishing arm relies on the brick and mortar stores to fuel its breadth. If they don’t prioritize what actions are best for comic shops at present, they risk collapsing the industry as we know it. Because that’s what will happen if comic shops go under.

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    Marvel seems to indicate that there will be a change in sales plans. And there's no preview of next week's new books.
    No previews doesn't mean anything, since digital first books don't get previews and Previews World is part of Diamond. We've actually had books suddenly appear with an announcement on the same day they're released!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman