Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Right like I don't understand the option should just be given until Corona passes no one is forcing the physical lovers to buy it digitally just make it an option and continue as scheduled was my point.
    I don't get it either. Everyone has to be denied comics just because the physical lovers don't get their way? The fact that even a compromise plan has to be killed because shop owners are afraid of potential loses that might not even happen is annoying. Even moreso when you get people looking down on any digital readers.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    I don't get it either. Everyone has to be denied comics just because the physical lovers don't get their way? The fact that even a compromise plan has to be killed because shop owners are afraid of potential loses that might not even happen is annoying. Even moreso when you get people looking down on any digital readers.
    Some people get physical because they are collecting, for example issues with punchline get bought because they may have value on speculator market.
    people often read trades, some books only survive on trade sales. They are months behind, so I don't see the problem of digital comics being first

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    This assumes that no solution to get books to shops is going to be found for several months when the entire situation is in flux and has been rapidly changing, that digital sales will magically start making enough money to make a profit and save jobs when the information we have points to that being unlikely, that those magical digital sales will come from retail customers who will somehow switch to digital en masse even when those would cost them the same amount of money for objectively less value, and that the publishers who are business first should respond to a disruption in their production schedule by creating release two schedules in favor of the minority audience with no proposed solution to line them back up (would digital readers have to endure a hiatus when retail comes back so they can catch up? would digital stay ahead forever? would they have to print all the material they missed and somehow get stores to order it all?) and antagonize their direct customers and partners (the stores who order and buy the books), because some finished X-Men comics are sitting on computers and digital readers, the minority audience, want to read them now. So basically, the business should immediately take the risky, gambling option unlikely to succeed but guaranteed to cause long-term damage in favor of being patient and trying to find a real solution because a single week of comics has been missed and Warren meeting the Hordeculture is just going to kick that much ass.

Honestly? I'm convinced! Let's go digital!
    So your idea is "let's wait for months to see if anyone has an idea on how to get books to shops, if not, too bad."? Great! Again, you, and the people that are against digital, offer absolutely no alternative other than:

I) Do absolutely nothing;
    II) Make absolutely no money in the short to medium term (possibly long term even);
    III) Keep the companies and retailers forever as puppets of Diamond;
    IV) Keep readers from enjoying the stories when they absolutely could.

Fact is the coronavirus crisis will last for a few months at least, likely more. Comic shops are not essential business, they're not going to open. We're going through a massive shift now because this crisis is forcing people and business to realize that a huge part of the work could absolutely be done at home with no problem, that people don't need to go outside that often, and also a moment in which people are going to be consuming more entertainment at home than they ever did.

Niffleheim

The big two then should just put the books that sell moderately or very low on digital and the big sellers postpone to a later date like Hollywood has done to tent-pole movies

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Some people get physical because they are collecting, for example issues with punchline get bought because they may have value on speculator market.
    people often read trades, some books only survive on trade sales. They are months behind, so I don't see the problem of digital comics being first
    The idea floated by ComicHub was a good one imo so hopefully the publishing houses will come up with something similar.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

When did the Quarantine start on the US?
    optimistically when could it end?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Well it technically never started. Considering on 38 states have a stay at home order, and the rest dont care, and a large number this the virus is ah hoax. July then when the seasion changes it will start up again in November December, and will deal with this again in 6 months
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 04-03-2020 at 08:35 AM.

Amazing Member

Here is a good analysis about the sales in comic industry...

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomi...ustrywide.html

As you can see 9 out of 10 comics are being sold in their physical versions. The digital sales are not that important.

I know and I understand that some of you are young enough and prefer the digital versions, but most people around the world prefer to actually BUY and OWN a comic in their library.
    You can read the digital version in Comixology but is far less complicated and too easy to just read a comic using illegal sites. So if they are going to cancel the physical forms that 90% of readers are not going to keep reading comics in legal sites. Some of they of course they are going to do that, but maybe half of them. Its not the same to read a comics in a screen and in a physical version..

Also why are people blaming the retailers for this and not Diamond? They had the monopoly and they decided to stop the flow of comics from the publishers to local comic stores. They are the main responsible...

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x-mind View Post
    Also why are people blaming the retailers for this and not Diamond? They had the monopoly and they decided to stop the flow of comics from the publishers to local comic stores. They are the main responsible...
    Yes, and that's the point I was making above: ss long as you refuse to sell online, you're going to keep companies and retailers as puppets of Diamond.

As for the fact that most readers in the US and Canada prefer physical copies, the fact is that before this crisis they had the option to buy them. Now they don't. And now people are consuming more entertainment at home than at any other point in history. The options are: a) Either try to tap into some of that wave; b) Hope that in 2-6 months (if not more), all the people that are not consuming comics in this period will come back to buy their products in comic shops, and hope that all of those shops are still in business.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Well it technically never started. Considering on 38 states have a stay at home order, and the rest dont care, and a large number this the virus is ah hoax. July then when the seasion changes it will start up again in November December, and will deal with this again in 6 months
    Wow, it is worst than I thought
    Thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The social distancing guidelines started about 17 days ago and it was around then that the States started enacting stay-at-home orders one after the other, with the NYC area being one of the first.

I don't thin it'll end up soon anywhere, so they need to find a solution if they don't want to sink.

Quote Originally Posted by x-mind View Post
    Here is a good analysis about the sales in comic industry...

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomi...ustrywide.html

As you can see 9 out of 10 comics are being sold in their physical versions. The digital sales are not that important.

I know and I understand that some of you are young enough and prefer the digital versions, but most people around the world prefer to actually BUY and OWN a comic in their library.
    You can read the digital version in Comixology but is far less complicated and too easy to just read a comic using illegal sites. So if they are going to cancel the physical forms that 90% of readers are not going to keep reading comics in legal sites. Some of they of course they are going to do that, but maybe half of them. Its not the same to read a comics in a screen and in a physical version..

The article spirit posted mentions the retailers and their response to the ComicHub idea, that's where it's coming from.

As a comic book reader for 30+ years, I simply ran out of room to collect physical and I can't store anymore in my parent's attic. Not all digital readers are "young".

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    July then when the seasion changes it will start up again in November December, and will deal with this again in 6 months
    Except it won't be exactly the same because the virus is being tirelessly studied. An initial outbreak is never the same as following seasonal occurrences.
    Last edited by JB; 04-03-2020 at 08:54 AM.

Amazing Member

Greetings fellow humans and travelers. I am 36 years old and work in healthcare. I've seen what COVID-19 is doing to the USA and its potential long lasting implications. Prior to COVID-19, I switched to full digital (primarily because I travel often) in late 2019. I struggled with this for a while because I felt like I was losing a part of my child and adulthood. The touch and smell of comics was to be forever lost I feared, but I got over it after a couple of months. I see true merit in digital and think it is the new norm for many of us. I'm not against the sale of physical copies, but in business, it's all about demand and choice. And sadly, that choice might now be digital due to the pandemic that may last for a long time. So, as our lives have begun to change, so it is time for comics to adapt and meet the need of a new and old consumer. I also need my Colossus fix.

Well this is a win lose situation.
    I buy digital unless Cyclops is on the cover.