Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast
Results 406 to 420 of 433
  1. #406
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    369

    Default

    I think a paramount question to ask is how will comics survive without comic shops opening up 100% again. I'm not talking about the shops who go out of business due to the pandemic. I'm talking about new waves of covid-19 hitting us over the next year until a vaccine is created. If a vaccine is created that is, or in that timeline.

    As the istuation is now it's not impossible to see a rolling back and rolling out strategy to cope with our new reality. We open up and then we have to close up again. Sometimes due to impatience. Sometimes due to necessity. Sometimes to naievity.

    A buisness built on "brick and mortar" will be hurt by this. As it is now the future is digital. As it is with books. This does not mean that print will die. LP/vinyl are still being collected and enjoyed when music has gone digital. CD's died though. I see the same with comics. Some will be collected in print because it's more staisfying to own them that way. Nice packaging will allways be appreciated. The day to day consuming. With titles you enjoy but don't want to fill longboxes off. The majority for a none collector customer. This will be consumed digitally.

    Me personally I'm still buying a book or comic because I want to own them physically. Maybe it's a consequence of the time I was brought up. Perhaps future generations will see no value in this.

  2. #407
    BANNED JasmineW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously.
    That is not a word, you've made it up

  3. #408
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,267

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    That is not a word, you've made it up
    Indubitably so.

  4. #409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    A buisness built on "brick and mortar" will be hurt by this. As it is now the future is digital. As it is with books. This does not mean that print will die. LP/vinyl are still being collected and enjoyed when music has gone digital. CD's died though. I see the same with comics. Some will be collected in print because it's more staisfying to own them that way. Nice packaging will allways be appreciated. The day to day consuming. With titles you enjoy but don't want to fill longboxes off. The majority for a none collector customer. This will be consumed digitally.

    Me personally I'm still buying a book or comic because I want to own them physically. Maybe it's a consequence of the time I was brought up. Perhaps future generations will see no value in this.
    I only currently buy digital but I understand the desire to own physical for the investment. I have a few books that I look forward to selling for a nice profit down the road. That's the payoff with physical of course.

    What I don't understand is how Marvel and DC are handling this in very different ways. DC seems ready to rock and Marvel furloughed a bunch of people.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  5. #410
    Astonishing Member Omega Alpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I only currently buy digital but I understand the desire to own physical for the investment. I have a few books that I look forward to selling for a nice profit down the road. That's the payoff with physical of course.

    What I don't understand is how Marvel and DC are handling this in very different ways. DC seems ready to rock and Marvel furloughed a bunch of people.
    DC is simply adapting to the times, Marvel isn't. Instead of furloughing staff, they should get a new publisher.

  6. #411
    Grizzled Veteran Jackraow21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,763

    Default

    Yep. This comes of not knowing who your customers are. DC will take market share from Marvel because of this. Because they’re focusing on how to get product to the end consumer while Marvel is... furloughing staff and inserting head firmly into their own butt it seems like. They should’ve had a plan for this. Any responsible business would’ve had contingency plans for something that might close down their single distributor. They also should’ve been way more focused on ramping up digital and reaching new audiences via social channels, instead of relying on slowly dying brick and mortar specialty retails shops.

  7. #412
    BANNED spirit2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    11,811

    Default

    DC won't take over Marvel marketshare, they will just keep theirs. maybe some readers will ry something new but seems unlikely it will bring big numbers.

    I guess the reason Marvel postponed is because they had 2 big events. Now they will ship august/september,

  8. #413
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    22,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Askani5 View Post
    When does the next x-men issue come out? I wish there was at least 2 xbooks per wk.
    July 15th at the earliest, and definitely not before Empyre #1.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  9. #414
    Grizzled Veteran Jackraow21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,763

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    DC won't take over Marvel marketshare, they will just keep theirs. maybe some readers will ry something new but seems unlikely it will bring big numbers.

    I guess the reason Marvel postponed is because they had 2 big events. Now they will ship august/september,
    I’m betting Marvel loses some readers from this who just don’t come back after the delay. So it’s not that DC will take their readers necessarily, just that their share of the market grows as Marvel’s readership shrinks a bit. But who knows? I maintain that Marvel handled this poorly and was ill prepared.

    Meanwhile, DC is forcing the market to adapt...

    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...k-tuesday-now/
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 05-02-2020 at 01:36 PM.

  10. #415
    Spectacular Member Nasty_Boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    July 15th at the earliest, and definitely not before Empyre #1.
    Yeah I think X-Men and Hellions #1 were released the week before the shutdown. Might explain why they are pushed to the back of this.

  11. #416
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    DC is simply adapting to the times, Marvel isn't. Instead of furloughing staff, they should get a new publisher.
    They're both enacting measures that their CFO's have obviously sat down and discussed with regards to how to proceed. They're each doing what they think is best for their dealership and readership given how very uncertain the national circumstances are and could be for the next few weeks.

    I don't read/buy digital...so if I was a DC reader I would still be "suffering". Same, if Marvel had gone along with DC's plan.
    I do buy singles...but...I do understand the logistical constraints the industry in currently under with respect to printing, distribution and retailing (with each retailer having very separate ideas on what's good for their store). Hence, the tentative, step by step methods they both are employing. Will it be successful over the time period? Who knows...but at least they are both making some sort of effort. Because the alternative is not giving us anything at all for the next month or two.

    And consider with US unemployment at the highest and most dire it's ever been, and how job stability has been severely affected in other export countries...expecting people to fork over much-needed income on a "non-essential" item at this time is not very savvy.
    (With my reduced income/budget...I'm just glad Marvel isn't releasing two months of books all in the space of one month).
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 05-02-2020 at 02:46 PM.
    We are MUTANT...One people. One tribe. One family...Krakoa, FOREVER!!!

  12. #417

    Default

    The U.S. has become a tale of many countries. Some areas won't be opening for a while and others have started soft openings:
    https://myalbum.com/photo/VCWV9nXDNyyC/360.jpg


    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Meanwhile, DC is forcing the market to adapt...

    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...k-tuesday-now/
    Interesting article, thanks for sharing.
    Boop! Krakoa forever!

  13. #418
    Benefactor / Malefactor H-E-D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    DC is simply adapting to the times, Marvel isn't. Instead of furloughing staff, they should get a new publisher.
    You mean distributor, right?


    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    I think a paramount question to ask is how will comics survive without comic shops opening up 100% again. I'm not talking about the shops who go out of business due to the pandemic. I'm talking about new waves of covid-19 hitting us over the next year until a vaccine is created. If a vaccine is created that is, or in that timeline.

    As the istuation is now it's not impossible to see a rolling back and rolling out strategy to cope with our new reality. We open up and then we have to close up again. Sometimes due to impatience. Sometimes due to necessity. Sometimes to naievity.

    A buisness built on "brick and mortar" will be hurt by this. As it is now the future is digital. As it is with books. This does not mean that print will die. LP/vinyl are still being collected and enjoyed when music has gone digital. CD's died though. I see the same with comics. Some will be collected in print because it's more staisfying to own them that way. Nice packaging will allways be appreciated. The day to day consuming. With titles you enjoy but don't want to fill longboxes off. The majority for a none collector customer. This will be consumed digitally.

    Me personally I'm still buying a book or comic because I want to own them physically. Maybe it's a consequence of the time I was brought up. Perhaps future generations will see no value in this.
    I still thhink somebody needs to work on some sort of comics delivery app. UberEats for Comics.

    The thing that's booming is digital purchasing; if you want physical to survive, it needs to meet consumers in the middle with that.

  14. #419
    Incredible Member Maestro 216's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    502

    Default

    Which like movie theaters isn't something they want to do. Comic shops would very much like to stay in business.

  15. #420
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Sorry, but regardless of your “likes” and the brick and mortar stores “needs”, COVID19 should be a wake up call.

    The physical comic industry needs to die. Period. All Physical books need to go. PERIOD.

    I don’t care if you “prefer” or what makes you feel nostalgic...

    The planet is dying. We have been warned for decades, as we have been about looming pandemics, and yet here we are....

    Why are we killing trees and further destroying the environment to print comics? Yes, comics are fun, they mean something to me and many others, but SO DOES BREATHING....?

    I don’t understand why it takes global emergencies for human beings to stop being selfish, entitled turds and learn to adapt for the betterment of our entire species.

    EVERY print industry needs to go digital. Or at the very least, invest in eco-friendly recycled products. They should be fined if they don’t.

    Brick and mortar stores need to adapt, transition to something else. I’m sure they are lovely people, but their loveliness does not absolve them from becoming harmful relics.

    Every industry must adapt and change with the needs of society. I’m sure the horse and buggy people were PISSED when the car came along, as were the radio people when TV popped up, but....sorry?

    The emphasis now needs to be on adaptation toward the GREATER GOOD and sanctity of our species. You can still have what you like, just in a different way.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •