Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    a monopoly would always fail.

Marvel and Dc can find a new distributor, DC said that they will have new partners and channels. Let's see if it can save comicbook stores.

Majority of sales aren't digital and people are loyal to print. it won't be a big problem for a while. the problem for comic stores is the cashflow, how to pay employees and bills all this time
    Look I sympathize with everyone out their who's not making money right now trust me I do, I get it I done had my broke days. Fact of the matter is everyone is suffering right now life just kind of sucks for everyone right now. People need something to smile about and enjoy, it is just really illogical to put whole buisness on pause when their is a solution, both temporary and permanent for some, if people don't want to buy digital they don't have to no one's forcing them, but leaving already written issues sitting on a computer does nothing for no one.

How many retailers can realistic survive a months-long pause on the industry?

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    How many retailers can realistic survive a months-long pause on the industry?
    I'd give them a month and a half maybe 2 and that's only if they really been saving money.

Hopefully they take advantage of the new loans to help if they can.

"In fact, prominent retailers have come out publicly against the system, completely opposed to the premise of encouraging their customers to embrace digital, even temporarily, one of the main reasons the proposal has been scrapped."

I'm curious to learn more on what the retailers thought, specifically those that didn't like the idea. From the above sentence, they may seem worried that if readers go digital, they may stay digital?
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I don't know, I don't think it would be good for marvel's relationship with retailers on the long run.
    It could hurt the shops recovery the moment they need help the most
    LET THEM EAT CAKE!

I don't see them giving heck to Ebay, Amazon, Movie Trading Post, Barnes & Nobles or Half Price books. They ALL sell comics and or trades.
    What about Gamestop, Target & Wal-Mart? How many toys & Funko Pops can I get from them that I can get at the comic book store?

How many times have stores been HOSTILE to Marvel or any other company?
    Who were calling for Axel's and many others heads because of the EXISTENCE of books with POC, LGBTQ & women as leads?
    Who got ticked off that Marvel actually tried to extend the brands of Deadpool, Dr Strange & Black Panther?
    Who were so INSECURE that they ran to Wal-Mart and bought up DC 100 page books that were 90% REPRINTS?
    Whose stores have been cesspools of hostility to certain demographics?

Marvel got folks who need to be paid as well.
    Marvel saw almost every book those stores took issue with find sales and readers OUTSIDE the comic book store.
    Marvel has to take care of Marvel right now.

It's not that they have given up on stores. Despite all the above.

If retailers are so worried about digital being better, maybe they should focus less on keeping comics out of the hands of fans...and more on improving their stores and businesses in general.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    If retailers are so worried about digital being better, maybe they should focus less on keeping comics out of the hands of fans...and more on improving their stores and businesses in general.
    I can only speak of my experience of course but I've been to my LCS twice since moving here a year and a half ago. No one looked me in the eye either time, not even a hello from any of the four guys working. And I was so excited to finally have a store nearby. Beautiful shop but no desire to ever go back.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    LET THEM EAT CAKE!

I don't see them giving heck to Ebay, Amazon, Movie Trading Post, Barnes & Nobles or Half Price books. They ALL sell comics and or trades.
    What about Gamestop, Target & Wal-Mart? How many toys & Funko Pops can I get from them that I can get at the comic book store?

How many times have stores been HOSTILE to Marvel or any other company?
    Who were calling for Axel's and many others heads because of the EXISTENCE of books with POC, LGBTQ & women as leads?
    Who got ticked off that Marvel actually tried to extend the brands of Deadpool, Dr Strange & Black Panther?
    Who were so INSECURE that they ran to Wal-Mart and bought up DC 100 page books that were 90% REPRINTS?
    Whose stores have been cesspools of hostility to certain demographics?

Marvel got folks who need to be paid as well.
    Marvel saw almost every book those stores took issue with find sales and readers OUTSIDE the comic book store.
    Marvel has to take care of Marvel right now.

It's not that they have given up on stores. Despite all the above.
    Unlike EBay, Amazon, ect. Retailers aren’t one big company. You are generalizing them based on personal perception. How do think Disney is going to like a bunch of post epidemic out of business retailers, that aren’t all necessarily like your trying to portray, making it known how Marvel told them to Eat Cake during this crisis. Ya, that would go over well in today’s climate.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 04-02-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Niffleheim

Why are ppl framing this as if the big two don't need the retail stores? Digital sales are minute compared to print so the big two choosing to support the comic book stores is a good business choice and not charity.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    Why are ppl framing this as if the big two don't need the retail stores? Digital sales are minute compared to print so the big two choosing to support the comic book stores is a good business choice and not charity.
    I'd be curious to know where the bulk of physical sales happen, smaller shops I'm assuming because they often have the atmosphere to draw in a community. I used to love my old shop in Jersey City, always so fun. Then they closed down so I went into NYC to get them but eventually just went digital to avoid the trip (especially in the winter).

If the article spirit posted is accurate, then it seems retailers didn't like this temporary, new idea. But the big publishers never commented on it so perhaps this thing never really got off the ground and it was all hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I can only speak of my experience of course but I've been to my LCS twice since moving here a year and a half ago. No one looked me in the eye either time, not even a hello from any of the four guys working. And I was so excited to finally have a store nearby. Beautiful shop but no desire to ever go back.
    I can't speak too highly of any of the LCS that have been in my area. Its been experiences similar to what you described and stuff like the guys being the counter giving me attitude for buying books focusing on LGBT characters/themes, some staff getting really pushy trying to sell Pop figures and random collectables, and the stores themselves being generally messy and maze-like.

And that's not even getting into the 'regulars' that were always hanging around who made being in there generally unpleasant.

Because they don't really need them? Its not like digital sales wouldn't go up if there was no place to get them physically.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    "In fact, prominent retailers have come out publicly against the system, completely opposed to the premise of encouraging their customers to embrace digital, even temporarily, one of the main reasons the proposal has been scrapped."

I'm curious to learn more on what the retailers thought, specifically those that didn't like the idea. From the above sentence, they may seem worried that if readers go digital, they may stay digital?
    If readers wanted to go digital, they would already gone.

retailers may have a problem accepting new and adapting.
    Last edited by spirit2011; 04-02-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post

Because they don't really need them? Its not like digital sales wouldn't go up if there was no place to get them physically.
    I highly doubt that but even if they don't need them most comic book buyers want print not digital so are the big two going to go against demand? No.

Digital has been almost a decade now and ppl still want physical copies over digital.
    Last edited by Tofali; 04-02-2020 at 07:44 PM.

I highly doubt that but even if they don't need them most comic book buyers want print not digital.

It has been almost a decade now and ppl still want physical copies over digital
    Some do. But if they shifted to a digital first model, updated marketing plans, etc...things would shift pretty easily. Physical collectors could still get their stuff eventually but saying Marvel and DC need the shops is like saying Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo need Gamestop to survive.