Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default which Marvel hero would actually be seen as villainious in reality?

Hulk: on the property damage alone.

Captain America on the account that most people from his time period were really racist, sexist etc. Merely dumping a person from that time period to this would take a lot of adjustment on their part.

Definitely either versions of any one Ghost Rider:

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-27-2020 at 01:26 AM.

Sentry. Easily.

How about Reed Richards? Look at all the problems he has brought to the Marvel Universe with his science experiments and other crap.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Niffleheim

Iron Man and Captain Marvel - Civil War 1 & 2. In reality they would be villains

Jean Grey, Xavier and Emma as telepaths would also be seen as villains
    Last edited by Tofali; 03-27-2020 at 04:13 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I’ve always been stupidly intrigued by Dr Strange. He’s the sorceror supreme...the most powerful magician/beings in several realms/dimensions. From an outside POV, surely he is a big threat?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

Captain America on the account that most people from his time period were really racist, sexist etc. Merely dumping a person from that time period to this would take a lot of adjustment on their part.
    *sigh* This again. I’m so tired. The “all people from the 40’s had to have been racist” argument falls apart when you consider the fact that two of the reigning kings of using fiction/pop culture to fight for equality, re: Gene Roddenberry (creator of Star Trek) and Jack Kirby (co-creator of Cap, the original X-Men, and Black Panther) were both from the 40’s. In fact what do these two men have in common other than the themes in their body of work? They both served in WW2.

BTW Mr. (Fred) Rogers was also “from the 40’s”. Just saying.

Moreover Cap was not created to be an accurate portrayal of life in the 40’s. Simon and Kirby based him on the Golem of Prague mythology. The A on Cap’s helmet? In Hebrew it is the letter א, which represents “truth”. In the golem of Prague mythology that activated the golem. Steve’s origin is also reminiscent of the golem of Prague story. The golem was molded from raw material (a young, frail Steve Rogers) but through magic (the super soldier serum) became a strong and formidable defender of the Jewish community. The golem had a star on his chest, just like Cap does. There are other parallels as well. Thus Steve was never meant to be this modern day representative of the Greatest Generation, that was never his creators’ intent. He was always meant to be a champion brought to life for the explicit reason of defending the marginalized.

More on that here: https://blog.nli.org.il/en/captain_america/

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    *sigh* This again. I’m so tired. The “all people from the 40’s had to have been racist” argument falls apart when you consider the fact that two of the reigning kings of using fiction/pop culture to fight for equality, re: Gene Roddenberry (creator of Star Trek) and Jack Kirby (co-creator of Cap, the original X-Men, and Black Panther) were both from the 40’s. In fact what do these two men have in common other than the themes in their body of work? They both served in WW2.

BTW Mr. (Fred) Rogers was also “from the 40’s”. Just saying.

Moreover Cap was not created to be an accurate portrayal of life in the 40’s. Simon and Kirby based him on the Golem of Prague mythology. The A on Cap’s helmet? In Hebrew it is the letter א, which represents “truth”. In the golem of Prague mythology that activated the golem. Steve’s origin is also reminiscent of the golem of Prague story. The golem was molded from raw material (a young, frail Steve Rogers) but through magic (the super soldier serum) became a strong and formidable defender of the Jewish community. The golem had a star on his chest, just like Cap does. There are other parallels as well. Thus Steve was never meant to be this modern day representative of the Greatest Generation, that was never his creators’ intent. He was always meant to be a champion brought to life for the explicit reason of defending the marginalized.

More on that here: https://blog.nli.org.il/en/captain_america/
    Nicely put. Thank you.

Ultimate Member

Probably most of them. Heck, in universe most of the major heroes have been seen threats at one time or another.

Capt. Marvel would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post

I have never seen any evidence of Captain America being any of these things. He had Falcon as his partner. Has worked well with several female heroes early on, such and The Wasp, and Scarlet Witch. He has always spoken about truth and justice and the American ideal that all men are created equal. Just because you are from the 40's doesnt make you a bigot.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

What about Punisher, Wolverine and Deadpool? A body count would be a good way to qualify yeah?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I have never seen any evidence of Captain America being any of these things. He had Falcon as his partner. Has worked well with several female heroes early on, such and The Wasp, and Scarlet Witch. He has always spoken about truth and justice and the American ideal that all men are created equal. Just because you are from the 40's doesnt make you a bigot.
    Agreed. My grandparents were born in the 20s and were not racist.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

When I stop and think about it there are many heroes that while not villains are so different that the public would distrust them a great deal and so they may be seen as more villainous then they really are.

Mutants would fall under this category.

I would think most aliens would as well. It amazes me how accepting people are to out of world visitors.

I would think robots, androids, and Ai heroes as well. Like Vision. I mean he tried to take over the computers of the world. That would make me not trust him.

Definitely, Vision is the son of Ultron after all.

I agree that anyone who kills would be seen as a villain, Punisher would be infamous as a serial killer, not heroically famous as an enforcer who wipes out gangs.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman