small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Discussion on Letter 44?

It's taken me three re-reads but I get it now:

Oni Press' "Letter 44" is two stories, one in a political setting, one in a science-fiction setting, loosely connected at an incident.
    Both the political and SF stories are interesting: the newly elected U.S. President is dismantling the previous administration's wars, while a crew of scientists and soldiers investigate a huge, non-terrestrial construct out at the edge of our solar system. That alien life exists is the huge secret the previous, and present Presidents have concealed from the world.

My problem at the moment is there's no one in the cast who I care about.
    Eight issues in and the scene's still being set. I only hope the series is doing well enough to bring some further connections in the next several issues.
    anyone else reading Letter 44 with any comment to help further appreciation of this series?
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

I started reading Letter 44 via the vol. 1 trade. I've really enjoyed it. I'm almost through Chapter 6. I think the character that I have the most connection with is President Blades. I really want to see him succeed. I am still feeling it out though. I think the story is still developing too much, and by design doesn't introduce a single main character (like a Rick Grimes) that we all should be latching onto. I find the story itself very intriguing and this is a title that I am really looking forward to.

Read Issue #7 now, very good read. I like that this was a flashback issue showing members of the Clarke before they were chosen for the space mission. I really love the way this story is coming together, and 44's letter to 43 was nothing short of AWESOME!

Anyone still reading? I need to read issues #9 and 10, but I do love this book.

Quote Originally Posted by JBH3 View Post
    Anyone still reading? I need to read issues #9 and 10, but I do love this book.
    I just finished the first trade, very cool book. I'm looking forward to vol. 2 quite a bit.

I'm finally caught up, this book is just great! I can't recommend it enough. Anybody else still reading?

Any word on #15 release date?

Just read #15. That is what I call a cliffhanger. This has all the vibes of "final arc" on it, any chance this series is wrapping up?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Just read #15. That is what I call a cliffhanger. This has all the vibes of "final arc" on it, any chance this series is wrapping up?
    I hope it is not entering the final arc already, series has been really good. Also 15 was really good and was a great cliffhanger, very interested to see what is coming up.

I have read through the first two trades, I am greatly enjoying this book. I wonder if it's getting much attention. It didn't make CBR top 100 for 2014.

Very good, albeit short issue. I love this book so much, but unfortunately, it does seem that an end is near. I'm really curious to see where Mr. Soule goes with this.

Solid issue, not great, but solid. Storyline(s) are progressing nicely towards who TF knows what?!?!?! I'm tuned in though.

I was peeved that, after the cliffhanger last time promising to reveal what the aliens wanted, in this issue, all they do with the baby is tell it to stop talking. C'mon.
    Either way, a lot of progression this issue. The President's wife is crazy.

Charles Soule knocks me out with his layered approach to storytelling and he gives you a LOT of dialogue to read through and ponder. Are there still plans to adapt this as a television series? It sure reads that way...

Another good issue, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on right now. I'm very curious to see what happens with the Gomez/Fractal situation, and where his loyalties lie.