View Poll Results: Who would be Wonder Woman's version of Catwoman?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ares

3 11.11%
  • Doctor Psycho (ew)

0 0%
  • Angle Man

13 48.15%
  • Deimos and/or Phobos

0 0%
  • White Magician

1 3.70%
  • Egg Fu

2 7.41%
  • Aegeus

1 3.70%
  • Mike Bailey

0 0%
  • Mouse Man

0 0%
  • Other

7 25.93%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Angle Man as the suave bank robber who flirts with Diana
    or
    White Magician as the former hero who Diana tries to help

Fantastic Member

None!! Only interested in seeing the criminals being punished for their crimes!! Never understood trying to pair criminals with heroes. Seems their always trying to make excuses for criminals instead of holding them accountable for their crimes!! It seem their pushing feelings sorry for the criminal instead of the victims of their crimes, the people's lives they destroy!! Now the Heroes should fall for the criminals that steal and kill!!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 04-03-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Angle Man, I think given his similarities to Catwoman in that both are neutral (he can be "evil" or "good" dependant upon the context of the story and his role in it) he fits best.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It’s a bit of a character pivot but...
    Play up Tom Tresser’s charming rogue-ish qualities and Nemesis fits the bill. Because of his espionage background, he could easily be working missions that are counter to Diana’s and firmly in the ethically murky area.
    Let Steve Trevor be her true blue boyscout love, but let her eye wander over to the wild side once in a while appreciating Tresser’s (hypothetical) anti-establishment edges.

And lovely edges they are!

I guess Diana has a thing for blondes!

Why exactly does Diana need a Catwoman-type?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    She doesn't? This thread is a thought experiment. "Does Diana have a Catwoman-type? If she does, who would it be?" Pretty standard issue fan discussion.

I don't think anyone has said anything about her NEEDING such a character. Just that it would be interesting if she did.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I think the answer to this question largely depends on how one views Catwoman in relation to Batman.

If we take Catwoman as an antagonist with lots of sexual tension with the protagonist, then the trivial answer would be Cheetah, except that DC blocked that opening in Rucka's run (and instead pushed all that subtext onto Barbara Ann and Etta).

The trouble with Cheetah in this role would also be that Diana's and Barbara Ann's relation pre-dates Cheetah. You want a hero-versus-antagonist relation, not necessarily a hero-versus-former sidekick. Seen from that perspective, Circe might be a better candidate. Especially with classical Circe's focus on hedonism and female sexuality.

But Catwoman's status as an antagonist not only depends on her being a femme fatale. She challenges Batman's puritanism and moral values. She is the thief that Batman respects and occasionally lets go. She is one of the few characters who is allowed to call out Batman's morals and question how he approaches justice and retribution. But fundamentally Diana is about change, while Batman is about defending current society against threats. That changes the dynamic to such a degree that it's tricky to build a comparable meaningful relation. The closest thing to a defender of the status quo antagonist that Wonder Woman has is Veronica Cale, and I don't think that will work.

Note also that there is a fundamental aspect of forbidden love between Batman and Catwoman, i.e. the police and the thief. I'm not sure that the theme of forbidden love can apply in any real way to Wonder Woman.

I haven't read the Angle Man stories (I probably ought to), but I think using him as Batman's Catwoman analogue focuses too much on Catwman's role as a gentlecat thief, and too little on Batman's and Catwoman's relation.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Jimenez's Angle Man is another great choice. He wasn't straight-up evil, and was suave and sexy in a way that could appeal to female (and anyone else attracted to men) readers the way that the "femme fatales" appeal to straight male readers.
    Wonder Woman needs a Gambit.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most major heroes have an equivalent, if not an exact match.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Attachment 94960

Attachment 94961

Ares is such a hunk I had to vote for him, plus he and Diana do have something bordering on sexual tension.
    And considering in this ( unfortunate Zeus daddy age) continuity, they're related, So ew.

NO Ares. Why not Cale or even Doris?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Cheetah would be perfect.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I voted Egg Fu because Diana doesn't care about the looks just what's on the inside of a person

Would Wonder Woman be attracted to someone who is morally grey??

I couldn't see her making out with some dude who just robbed bank.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Angle Man.