View Poll Results: Who would be Wonder Woman's version of Catwoman?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ares

3 11.11%
  • Doctor Psycho (ew)

0 0%
  • Angle Man

13 48.15%
  • Deimos and/or Phobos

0 0%
  • White Magician

1 3.70%
  • Egg Fu

2 7.41%
  • Aegeus

1 3.70%
  • Mike Bailey

0 0%
  • Mouse Man

0 0%
  • Other

7 25.93%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    It’s a bit of a character pivot but...
    Play up Tom Tresser’s charming rogue-ish qualities and Nemesis fits the bill. Because of his espionage background, he could easily be working missions that are counter to Diana’s and firmly in the ethically murky area.
    Let Steve Trevor be her true blue boyscout love, but let her eye wander over to the wild side once in a while appreciating Tresser’s (hypothetical) anti-establishment edges.

And lovely edges they are!

I guess Diana has a thing for blondes!
    Yes I've been saying for awhile there should be a love triangle between Diana, Tom and Steve. I also think they should be flip sides of the same coin and alternate versions of each other, in homage to the multiple Steves of pre-Crisis.

Spectacular Member

love triangle
    Please no, love triangles are so boring and it takes pages for the good stuff...

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I agree.
    The love triangle is the most boring of narrative tropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Manakel View Post
    Please no, love triangles are so boring and it takes pages for the good stuff...
    Not it it's done correctly and Steve and Nemesis have similar looks but distinct personalities. Why would Diana choose one over the other?

I’ve been playing around with the Roman pantheon returning and a particular “god” becoming a paramour of Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    The complexity of Wonder Woman makes me think this needs to be an all-new character rather than an existing one, but that may be because I already have clear choices for how to portray Ares, Cheetah, Angle Man, Circe, etc. in my own creative development of the Wonder mythos. (Commentators here make some excellent points though, so I may have to reconsider that.)

I’ve kept Angle Man as an adversary of Diana and Donna, but with Angelo and Donna also having a soft spot for one another as Jimenez portrayed. I really enjoyed that and think it broadens the Wonder mythos and complicates it. As in Angelo may at some point cause conflict between Diana and Donna, and among other Wonder villains, depending how you develop his and Donna’s characters.

My gut says it needs to be a new character, that has a similar character complexity to Diana as well as character facets that contrast with Steve...
    I agree that it needs to be a new character. Steve needs a rival.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Consider how boring Steve and his relationship with Diana has been so far I'd welcome a love triangle (and I usually hate love triangles).

I voted for Angle Man simple because I remember liking what Phil Jimenez did with him, even if I haven't read it in years and can barely recall the context.

But I could see a revamped White Magician as a recurring is-he-or-ain't-he a villain. Something like the Shade in Starman. Maybe his motive align with Diana's but mostly they wouldn't. Maybe he could have a creepy fascination towards her, or maybe he's just bored because he's a near immortal sorcerer and she keeps it interesting. Maybe he could be a more serious version of Mister Mxyzptlk and views battling Wonder Woman as a game like chess. He would not be evil, but he would be totally apathetic at her moralistic integrity and love towards others.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Consider how boring Steve and his relationship with Diana has been so far I'd welcome a love triangle (and I usually hate love triangles).
    Love triangles are silly!! If you need a love triangle to make a arc interesting, that means the story is pretty bad!! Wonder woman comics sells must be really hurting if they would go that low!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 05-15-2020 at 04:21 PM.

I like playing with the love triangle trope. They can be interesting depending on what they say or explore about a character and the circumstances the characters are in.

Love triangles work for Batman and Superman because they're staid men built on American puritanical ideals.

But for Wonder Woman? A woman growing up on a paradise island, unfettered by any semblance of modern sexual morals or patriarchy, and with a creator who was a polyamorist?

I'm not saying Diana would be poly (I'm rather undecided on that subject), but her first reaction to such a situation would be to talk it out and reach some form of explicit resolution.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    There's no one to seduce Diana, in the comic. She's surrounded by males (Steve), monsters (Ferdinand, Hercules, Ares) and untouchable gods (Hermes, etc). She has no Catwoman to lure her out into wilderness.

I think Conan was the closest she's had to a homme fatale. Her Cat must be more than a bad boy; I think he's got to be a wild boy, like Orion...a little gruff and unruly. He's the guy, with whom Diana can...

He's Batman. Batman is her Catwoman.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-16-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Love triangles work for Batman and Superman because they're staid men built on American puritanical ideals.

But for Wonder Woman? A woman growing up on a paradise island, unfettered by any semblance of modern sexual morals or patriarchy, and with a creator who was a polyamorist?

I'm not saying Diana would be poly (I'm rather undecided on that subject), but her first reaction to such a situation would be to talk it out and reach some form of explicit resolution.
    That’s precisely why a love triangle or quadrangle could be interesting for her... Amazonian and Patriarch-ian cultures clashing.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Diana forthright and direct, but I’m trepidatious about not allowing her to have different feelings for different people and not possibly experiencing the sometimes messy emotions of desire, romance, love, jealousy, etc. It’s ground that’s seldom covered by her and traps her into being a paragon of virtue versus human. I like to see Diana more nuanced.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 05-16-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    There's no one to seduce Diana, in the comic. She's surrounded by males (Steve), monsters (Ferdinand, Hercules, Ares) and untouchable gods (Hermes, etc). She has no Catwoman to lure her out into wilderness.
    TRUTH. And I don’t think she needs a Catwoman as in an attraction to an opposite or “bad boy” or “bad girl” so to speak, but “someones” she feels drawn to romantically that explore additional sides of her character and joy of life, just like Steve does.

Steve can be oh so much better, given the chance, but a lot of creators don’t get how to approach him and Diana together that’s not a role reversed Superman and Lois Lane or starry-eyed guy who thinks he’s not good enough for Diana. The surface of what Steve can be has barely had his surface scratched.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

When has Egg Foo ever been in a relationship with Wonder Woman? I need to check those issues out.