View Poll Results: Should I review Dazzler?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah you totally should, it was an awesome series

10 50.00%
  • Skip it mate, it was mediocre anyway

10 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Should I read through the Dazzler series?

Hi there everyone, for those of you that don't know I'm currently writing an X-Men Read Through blog and within the next few days I'm actually reached Giant Size X-Men #1. In a few months time I was actually reaching where the Dazzler series begins but I'm starting to think whether I should review that along with the main X-Men series and side issues (Like New Mutants and various LSs). I have every issue of Dazzler through the two Essential Dazzler GNs. But many people have told me not to bother with it, I have read through it before but I wanted to do proper reviews like the other issues in my blog. Should I read a series about an X-Man who isn't well known outside of comic book fans, or should I skip it completely?

BTW here is a link to the blog that I'm writing

http://community.comicbookresources....n-Read-Through
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

As a poster who is following your read along, I am begging you to skip it
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

The four issues you need are - 1, 2, 38 and 41.
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

I loved it and found Alison a relatable, human protagonist.

However, I can understand if you want to leave it out of your read-through thread as it's not heavily connected with the X-Men beyond Dazz being a mutant.

I like the character but the series was nothing overly special. You aren't missing anything

All-New Member

I would say not every issue, but from #1 too #5, definitely #8, #9, #10, #11, #17, #18,#19,#21, #22, #23, #38,#39,#40,#41,#42, The Graphic Novel should also be significant or sufficient for you overall, but the Issues that I referenced include battles with The Enchantress, Dr.Doom, Hulk, The Grapplers, Project Pegasus, Klaw, Terrax, Rogue, The Absorbing Man, The X-Men, and Silence. fin (:
    Last edited by Kode; 08-11-2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: double typing

Thanks for the feedback. If I decide to skip it I will probably only review the issues involving the X-Men. But there is still time for me to make a decision and for more votes on the poll.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Yes. Read all of it. Read the Rogue issues and issue 38.
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 08-11-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Read most of it. Especially the issues where she's teaming up with people, the issues concerning the sisterhood and how she BEATS THEIR ASSES finally, god it's satisfying. Obviously, you have to include Dazzler the Movie because it has repurcussions that felt throughout the Marvel U. Read Beauvty and the Beast because honestly, that's the best graphic novel about the character and it includes lots of references to bigger things that are happening in the MU including yet another showdown with Dr. Doom, and def read like the last 4-5 issues of her book because she comes out of it a real hero etc.

The Dazzler series has a lot of great human moments that really do paint the mutant situation of that era in a vivid way even if it is coming from the "every girl" pov of the character, which is great because she's relatable and it kind of shows how the X-men can be dicks abotu their ethos concerning human/ mutant relations and it also shows how incredibly passive the Avengers are about said situation, but most importantly it shows you how people react to mutants individually in that time. Ali take a lot of **** on her own and doesn't retreat to some mansion whenever **** gets tough. she's good heroine even if she sets herself up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kode View Post
    I would say not every issue, but from #1 too #5, definitely #8, #9, #10, #11, #17, #18,#19,#21, #22, #23, #38,#39,#40,#41,#42, The Graphic Novel should also be significant or sufficient for you overall, but the Issues that I referenced include battles with The Enchantress, Dr.Doom, Hulk, The Grapplers, Project Pegasus, Klaw, Terrax, Rogue, The Absorbing Man, The X-Men, and Silence. fin (:
    The Dazzler the Movie, it is on my wishlist so that's why I left it off but that is pretty important of an issue. One day I hope to own it
    http://www.shadowandflamewithmagik.com/

My Blog following the adventures of Kitty Pryde, Lockheed and Magik

BANNED

I got the whole batch off ebay a few years ago, plus a separate purchase of Dazzler the Movie. It was a good, fun read.

I have a bit of a problem right now that should hopefully sort itself out. I have equal votes for both options so I'm as indecisive as ever now. Hopefully the poll won't end in a tie.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One

BANNED

Why would you need a poll to decide what to read?

The series was miserable, so I would consider it an accomplishment if you could make through that series.

Quote Originally Posted by IdaqiBeauty View Post
    Why would you need a poll to decide what to read?
    It is because I am doing an X-Men read through blog and I was going to read Dazzler since I have both Essentials which cover all of her solo material which includes her series, GN, Beauty and the Beast LS and a minor appearance in a Spider-Man comic. Some people have told me to skip it since it wasn't all that good and I wanted to see if that was a general feeling or just a few individuals.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    Till All Are One