Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Who cares about the label. While I can see why people may have reservations calling Betsy "bi", her relationship with Cluster makes her pan at the least, putting her on the spectrum and making her eligible for this list anyway.
    Well by putting her on the list you are caring about the label, her "relationship" barely lasted a day or so and then ended and hasn't been picked up or really even mentioned in years and Betsy hasn't shown any interest since or much if anything before, so her status to me is up in the air and wouldn't be far enough to rank her on the list...

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Northstar isn't #1? Disgusting.
    This. Also—no women in the top 4? So disappointed.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Northstar isn't #1? Disgusting.
    Northstar does have going for him that he's 'always been gay' right from the outset, straight from the creator's mouth, and doesn't have a previous history with women like Rictor and Iceman, or a moral caveman creator claiming that he didn't imagine him as bi or gay, like Shatterstar.

That said, there are lots of journeys-to-gay and the gay guy who has had a girlfriend or two on the way (or just straight up bisexual dude) is just as valid a story to tell, and it's even harder to find 'always been gay' representation among the girls, who are plentiful with the bisexuals like Mystique* and Psylocke, but it's harder to find (particularly a successful!) character like Bling! or Karma who has always known (and / or been conceived as such by her creator(s)) and never made a pit-stop at boystown. (*Although I'd argue that Mystique is 100% gay, not bisexual, since she loves and is attracted to Destiny, and any and all men she's slept with have been for ulterior motives that had nothing to do with sexual attraction. At least half the time, when she's slept with a dude, she's gone into it intending to kill or betray them in some way, and been using it as a tool, so it's actually the opposite of attraction, it's veiled contempt and intent to murder! At least, IMO.)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This. Also—no women in the top 4? So disappointed.
    Chin-up, young person...That's just how the votes played out.
    If it helps...I placed Destiny and Mystique in my top 5...if I remember correctly.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Surprised Rictor placed 1st since he's the least discussed out of the top 3.
    People here don't even like X-Terminators smh.
    "Cable was right!"

I blame the lack of women in the top 5 on the writers, not the voters. Karma and Bling! don't get the content they deserve and are fan-favorites despite having very middle-of-the-pack kind of storylines. Hell, Bling! has been in a lot of stories (even starring in Generation X and 'starring' in Fallen Angels) but her story has hardly moved forward. She had more to do in GeNext and wasn't even in the main cast.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post

Sina Grace broke them up in Iceman #9 with absolutely no explanation.

So who is Rictor's boyfriend right now? I haven't been keeping up.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I blame the lack of women in the top 5 on the writers, not the voters. Karma and Bling! don't get the content they deserve and are fan-favorites despite having very middle-of-the-pack kind of storylines. Hell, Bling! has been in a lot of stories (even starring in Generation X and 'starring' in Fallen Angels) but her story has hardly moved forward. She had more to do in GeNext and wasn't even in the main cast.
    Bling! sorely needs some good story. I kind of wish she'd gotten the story focus back in the New X-Men days that went to characters like Wither and Icarus, or even Rockslide.

One thing both going for her and kind of to her detriment is that she's really solidly built, from a gamist perspective. A lot of X-peeps have a great offense, but nothing for defense (Cyclops being the gold standard), or have good defenses, but no real offense (Kitty Pryde, Cecelia Reyes), or are great close up but have zero range (Colossus, Wolverine), and she's managed to got offense, defense *and* ranged utility, making her a well-balanced person to have in a fight.

On the one hand, that's great, on the other hand, that also means she's not as teamwork-dependent as someone like Wallflower or Tag that others have to cover for, from time to time.

Mostly though, I want her for her sass. I haven't seen enough to know if she's got it in spades, but I've seen some hints of it in her (all-too brief) appearances, and I want that attitude in my X-books. (My love of ladies with attitude probably explains my love of Monet and Emma, and, when she brings it, Lorna.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    He deserves!!! Our mystic gay druid king
    The King!!

What a wonderful thread, I just read through all of it. Thank you NewMutant for doing this. Like so many have said, it's nice to see the fans rallying behind these very important characters.

I will accept Julio's award on his behalf as he's currently occupied.

Last edited by JB; 04-07-2020 at 08:57 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Pretty sure it's the voters' "fault" and not the writers.
    "Cable was right!"

I forgot to vote, but I like the results for the most part. I am old enough to recall when there were very few openly gay X-men characters and now we have so many. Back in the day we had NorthStar and there was Mystique's relationship to Destiny. Still, we need these characters to be significant and show the diversity of lgbt folks. We need trans characters.

I recall a few years ago talking to one of my straight employees who also collects comics. I started to list all the lgbt x-men and he was shocked. He reads the stories (though he's more of a DC guy) and yet he was so unaware of all the gay X-men. It has always surprised me the straight folks who are unable to see us, we are so invisible to them. This guy was shocked about Anole and never heard of Greymalkin. Only one he knew was Northstar and he was pissed about Iceman as one would imagine.

Just a brief anecdote that came to mind. My fav lgbt X-man character is probably Iceman followed by Mystique, Rictor, and NorthStar.

Thanks for the shout outs to those who did. 10 years ago (I'm young and cool I promise) I used to do these often, but haven't had the time now. 10 years ago this Countdown would have been even shorter. I'm certainly thankful there are more LGBTQ characters but lets be honest... a) 26 characters in 57 years is not that many; esp given... b) a majority of these characters are hardly used and/or b) their sexuality is minimized to a footnote. (This applies to others minorities as well).

For me, this is why Iceman coming out was so important. He is a staple and very visible character in the Marvel Universe; so even if his narrative isn't being shown the representation or identity politics is still there. You can look at poster of Marvel from 1970 and say "hey there is a queer character." Northstar and other queer X-Men are rarely used on any posters, cartoons, video games, outside media.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

This was indeed a delightful divertissement, thank you.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    This was indeed a delightful divertissement, thank you.
    Devaishwarya's Divertissement Daiquiris, happy hour special available now at the Green Lagoon.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

with Hugs and kisses aplenty and free!!!