Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

9th Place: David Alleyne aka Prodigy - 140 Points

Created by: Nunzio DeFilippis, Christina Weir, & Keron Grant
    First Appearance: New Mutants #4 (2003)

I have to say, I was surprised to see Prodigy ranked so high. Like Anole, David is also from the Morrison era student boom. David is from Chicago and was recruited to join the X-Men by Moonstar. He eventually joins her New Mutants squad and was co leader with Wind Dancer. David has the ability to absorb skill and knowledge of people around him which makes him very powerful. During this period be began dating Surge. In the "Too Much Information" storyline of Academy X, David ask Emma Frost to remove any blocks to his powers to become more useful and it reveals just how powerful David could be. However, David lost his powers shortly after on M-Day. He remained with X-Men, much to Surges dismay, but played a less active role on the team. The Stepford Cuckoos unlocked all the previous knowledge that was still stored his brain when he had powers; and with tensions high with Surge, he leaves to team become junior faculty at the school. After the events of AvX, David leaves the X-Men and starts consulting in the workforce. There he bummed into Speed from the Young Avengers and joins the team. It is on his time there where he kisses Hulking and says out loud that he is bi. David will be starring in the upcoming X-Factor.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 04-01-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Yuppp king **** it’s what he deserves!

I’m so proud of Prodigy and Bling!!!! Babies!

8th Place: Daken Akihiro - 162 Points

Created by: Daniel Way & Steve Dillon
    First Appearance: Wolverine: Origins #5 (2006)

Daken jumped into the X-Verse after House of M where Wolverine started to get bits and pieces of his memory back. Daken is half Japanese son of Wolverine; bi-sexual, with healing, claws, and pheromone powers, an anti-hero at best.... needless to say is a controversial character. Daken has had two solo series Dark Wolverine, and Daken: Dark Wolverine, was a member of Norman's Osborn's Dark Avengers and Dark X-Men, Wolverine kills him in Uncanny X-Force to later be made a Horseman in Uncanny Avengers; after Wolverine dies he joins the short lived (and underrated with really inconsistent art) Wolverines, to teaming up with Laura in All-New Wolverine, to recently becoming a Catwoman type love interest for Iceman in Iceman's solo series. To say this character quickly blew up is an understatement. He is on Krakoa currently and is seen in X-Force with his "Wolverine" family and is starring in the upcoming X-Factor.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    I’m so proud of Prodigy and Bling!!!! Babies!

It’s a crime that this was basically their only interaction with each other

7th Place: Irene Adler aka Destiny - 183 Points

Created by: Chris Claremont & John Byrne
    First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #141 (1981)

Irene Alder was born visually impaired in Austria. At 13 years old she began to precognitive powers; she began writing these visions down and once she completed 13 diaries she was completely blind. At some point she hired Raven Darkholme to consult her on her diaries. They discovered they each had powers and began to build a life together. While Marvel was not allowing creators to write openly gay characters, these two were able to maintain a subtext that did not go unnoticed. As time went on Marvel became slightly more progressive and has confirmed that these two were in fact a couple. Destiny dead on Muir Island by the hand of Legion shortly before the 90s revamp. She would reappear in visions or dreams of Mystique and Legion. She would briefly be resurrected during Necrosha where she got to see her adopted daughter Rogue again, as well as meet Blindfold who is likely her granddaughter. Destiny has been a relatively minor character, however she has returned as a large presence in the Hickman era. In House of X we see that Destiny a HBIC not to messed as she confronts Moira over her trying to cure mutantacy. Destiny tells Moira that the two are forever connected and then has Pyro kill Moira. Destiny is current decreased and at Moira's demand can not be resurrected or she will mess up all their plans; meanwhile Mystique is tired of waiting and wants her wife back...

6th Place: Raven Darkholme aka Mystique - 187 Points

Created by: Chris Claremont & Jim Mooney
    First Appearance: Ms. Marvel #16 (1978)

Mystique is iconic and complicated figured in X-History. Mystique has been a media favorite but her portrayal, especially in the films, doesn't always feel in tuned with the character. A woman who can be anyone doesn't exactly have a linear life story; but this mutant who could transform into anyone fell in love with blind woman and Destiny is certainly what grounds Mystique and makes her empathetic. Mystique is the mother of Nightcrawler, with whom her creator Chris Claremont originally wanted her to be the father and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's mother; she is also the adoptive mother of Rogue. Her past is a mystery with ties to Wolverine and Fantomex; she has lead the Brotherhood, served with X-Factor, been an underground spy for Xavier, and currently sits on the Quiet Council of Krakoa. In order to get her to play a long Xavier and Magneto offered to resurrect Destiny, but Mystique is growing impatient....

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Aw man, Raven beat Destiny AND Daken.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Aw man, Raven beat Destiny AND Daken.
    Mystique is just so well known. I was surprised to see Destiny so high and neck and neck with Mystique... she really hasn't been a major player of the franchise till now.

great work on this thread + poll newmutant!! majorest of kudos to you

reading through these character profiles is so illuminating...lgbt characters keep getting paid absolute DUST in this franchise....we get so much tip-toeing around confirmed queerness, relegation to cameos, disinterest in development + continuity....hurts a lil extra to think that the x-books are fairly representative compared to their peers. insert beleaguered gay sigh here.

doom n gloom aside its so refreshing to see these characters getting their deserved love, I love that we as fans can come together and speak on this ****, show that we care about these characters and their stories and keep them from falling into dreaded obscurity. mazel tov gang, keep fighting the good fight!!

I love the ruthlessness of Destiny. I want her back now!

Love all the entries on this page. Thrilled that pioneer granny Irene made it so high but unrepentant queen Raven should be Top 3 at least IMO.

Hopefully DoX proves to be the best period yet for Daken and David.

Uuh I like that Destiny and Mystique are close :3

I didn't know that Bling was born in a famous family. They could do some cool stories about that. Introduce a mutant famous hip hop couple.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    7th Place: Irene Adler aka Destiny - 183 Points

Created by: Chris Claremont & John Byrne
    First Appearance: Uncanny X-Men #141 (1981)

Irene Alder was born visually impaired in Austria. At 13 years old she began to precognitive powers; she began writing these visions down and once she completed 13 diaries she was completely blind. At some point she hired Raven Darkholme to consult her on her diaries. They discovered they each had powers and began to build a life together. While Marvel was not allowing creators to write openly gay characters, these two were able to maintain a subtext that did not go unnoticed. As time went on Marvel became slightly more progressive and has confirmed that these two were in fact a couple. Destiny dead on Muir Island by the hand of Legion shortly before the 90s revamp. She would reappear in visions or dreams of Mystique and Legion. She would briefly be resurrected during Necrosha where she got to see her adopted daughter Rogue again, as well as meet Blindfold who is likely her granddaughter. Destiny has been a relatively minor character, however she has returned as a large presence in the Hickman era. In House of X we see that Destiny a HBIC not to messed as she confronts Moira over her trying to cure mutantacy. Destiny tells Moira that the two are forever connected and then has Pyro kill Moira. Destiny is current decreased and at Moira's demand can not be resurrected or she will mess up all their plans; meanwhile Mystique is tired of waiting and wants her wife back...

6th Place: Raven Darkholme aka Mystique - 187 Points

Created by: Chris Claremont & Jim Mooney
    First Appearance: Ms. Marvel #16 (1978)

Mystique is iconic and complicated figured in X-History. Mystique has been a media favorite but her portrayal, especially in the films, doesn't always feel in tuned with the character. A woman who can be anyone doesn't exactly have a linear life story; but this mutant who could transform into anyone fell in love with blind woman and Destiny is certainly what grounds Mystique and makes her empathetic. Mystique is the mother of Nightcrawler, with whom her creator Chris Claremont originally wanted her to be the father and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's mother; she is also the adoptive mother of Rogue. Her past is a mystery with ties to Wolverine and Fantomex; she has lead the Brotherhood, served with X-Factor, been an underground spy for Xavier, and currently sits on the Quiet Council of Krakoa. In order to get her to play a long Xavier and Magneto offered to resurrect Destiny, but Mystique is growing impatient....
    Ah, my beautiful, beautiful dykes, how fabulous to see them together.
    I hate how Raven has been written since Irene died and can’t wait for them to be reunited.

I remember how absolutely subversive CC’s idea about them being Nightcrawler’s parents was. Completely unheard of, so far beyond what Marvel would publish at the time. If Hickman goes there (Azazel can be retconned away, don’t care how) I will love the man forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I remember how absolutely subversive CC’s idea about them being Nightcrawler’s parents was. Completely unheard of, so far beyond what Marvel would publish at the time.
    Or now, for that matter. Even something like the "polygamy" is just being hinted at with sly winks and nods.

Is there a book or article throwing some light on which stories and mythologies served as inspirations for Claremont? I'd love to read it. Tried googling for tales that had a son born to two lesbian lovers and the Hindu myth of Bhagiratha came up (linked essay is a really interesting read btw; the actual story though starts from the last paragraph on Page 24). Slightly off-topic, but The Phoenix can be traced to Hindu mythology's Kali/Shakti as well, as the lifeforce of death and rebirth. If Indian mythos were such a strong influence for him, then it makes sense now why CC went full on Bollywood Marty Sue with Neal Shaara in X-Treme.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-01-2020 at 02:40 AM.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Or now, for that matter. Even something like the "polygamy" is just being hinted at with sly winks and nods.

Is there a book or article throwing some light on which stories and mythologies served as inspirations for Claremont? I'd love to read it. Tried googling for tales that had a son born to two lesbian lovers and the Hindu myth of Bhagiratha came up (linked essay is a really interesting read btw; the actual story though is narrated from the last paragraph on Page 24). Slightly off-topic, but The Phoenix can be traced to Hindu mythology's Kali/Shakti as well, as the lifeforce of death and rebirth. If Indian mythos were such a strong influence for him, then it makes sense now why CC went full on Bollywood Marty Sue with Neal Shaara in X-Treme.
    I don’t know, Chris is pretty well educated, we’ve not spoken for years (er... decades) but he’s really interesting and had a theory about the X-Men and the Kabbalah too.
    Thanks for the link, I’m pretty near to finishing my fanfic magnum opus which is about Kurt and his two mothers, that may give me some more mythological fuel to my fire (it’s mostly been Celtic up until now, as that’s the mythos I am most familiar with).