Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    His power is great for a detective series. He can even read a bit off objects I believe.
    Tangent;
    An interesting development of postcognition is if he can access the skills of previous users of an item, say, pick up an ancient sword or well-used gun, and pick up the ability to use it of it's most significant/lengthy owner via their psychic impressions. "Oh, Bishop dropped his weird future-gun, which I don't even know how to fire, and suddenly I'm an expert marksman with it!"

Another option would be if he could share his visions of the past, or allow/force someone else to relive the past. Firstly, for utility, allowing others to see what he is seeing, or allowing someone who has been mindwiped by a telepath to see events that they've 'forgotten'. Secondly, possibly even offensively, causing someone to relive a past trauma, or even a memory not their own!

There's a ton of possibly outgrowths of powers like precognition and postcognition, that could make it quite a bit more interesting, if not quite so over-the-top as the twenty-odd side-powers they've strapped onto telepathy over the years.

/endtangent

On topic, I'd love if they explored Bling! more. I find it so weird when she and Quentin are discussing his thousand dollar shoes and the writer is acting like she's some poor street kid who has no idea about such things, when *she's* the one with super-rich parents and the silver-spoon upbringing!

Gosh, Xavier, Warren, Emma, 'Berto, Betsy, Monet, Bling!, there's a lot of *money* walking around those circles...

Quote Originally Posted by Su_Whisterfield View Post
    I don’t know, Chris is pretty well educated, we’ve not spoken for years (er... decades) but he’s really interesting and had a theory about the X-Men and the Kabbalah too.
    Thanks for the link, I’m pretty near to finishing my fanfic magnum opus which is about Kurt and his two mothers, that may give me some more mythological fuel to my fire (it’s mostly been Celtic up until now, as that’s the mythos I am most familiar with).
    CC sounds fascinating, as does your fanfic magnum opus. Can't wait to read it. And you're welcome for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I find it so weird when she and Quentin are discussing his thousand dollar shoes and the writer is acting like she's some poor street kid who has no idea about such things, when *she's* the one with super-rich parents and the silver-spoon upbringing!.
    Is this Generation X's Christina Strain you are talking about? I think she wasn't informed of Bling!'s parentage. Or we can just headcanon that Quire is so full of himself that he assumed Roxy was destitute, and Roxy being awesome just let him be the fool that he is.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    CC sounds fascinating, as does your fanfic magnum opus. Can't wait to read it. And you're welcome for the link.
    He’s much more interesting when you get him talking about things other than comics. His Mum delivered planes to the RAF in WWII, for example, get him talking about things like that and he’s fascinating.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Or now, for that matter. Even something like the "polygamy" is just being hinted at with sly winks and nods.

Is there a book or article throwing some light on which stories and mythologies served as inspirations for Claremont? I'd love to read it. Tried googling for tales that had a son born to two lesbian lovers and the Hindu myth of Bhagiratha came up (linked essay is a really interesting read btw; the actual story though starts from the last paragraph on Page 24). Slightly off-topic, but The Phoenix can be traced to Hindu mythology's Kali/Shakti as well, as the lifeforce of death and rebirth. If Indian mythos were such a strong influence for him, then it makes sense now why CC went full on Bollywood Marty Sue with Neal Shaara in X-Treme.
    Actually if memory serves Claremont would later go on to say that Neal was a total failure as a character in his mind...and that his relationship with Betsy was never supposed to happen and only did because Claremont left the X-book that he was on to start X-treme and didn't want Warren, otherwise he and Betsy would have stayed together for a good while longer...

5th Place: Xi'an Coy Manh aka Karma - 200 Points

Created by: Chris Claremont & Frank Miller
    First Appearance: Marvel Team Up #100 (1980)

That is two mighty iconic creators right there. I didn't realize Frank Miller was the co-creator with Claremont. Karma is another one I am surprised to rank so high. The character certainly has a interesting back story (she is literally a mutant, lesbian, Vietnamese, immigrant, raising her two siblings, that becomes disabled), but she is just so rarely used (like so many queer characters on this list) that its hard for her to be a favorite. Karma was one of the original New Mutants but quickly left the team; she made some guest appearances but really didn't start till the New Mutants reboot where she rejoin the teaching staff and becomes the school librarian. The original New Mutants is revived again during the Utopia era and in Second Coming she looses her leg. Later she is a regular in Astonishing X-Men. And is now back with another round of New Mutants on Krakoa.
    Last edited by NewMutant; 04-01-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

4 Shatterstar
    3 Rictor
    2 Northstar
    1 Iceman

$5

Give Karma a girlfriend (who isn't a sexual predator) 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Okay. No problemo.

TARMA.jpg

4th Place: Shatterstar - 209 Points

Created by: Rob Liefeld & Fabian Nicieza
    First Appearance: New Mutants #99 (1991)

Shatterstar jumped on the scene in the 90s with controversial creator Rob Liefield. Shatterstar, Deadpool, Domino, and Cable all came into existence around the same time. Shatterstar's back story is all over the place. He debuted as New Mutants was transitioning to X-Force, it was here he met Rictor and the two became very close. As the series went on it became clear to fans that these two had more than a bromance (much to Liefield's dismay). Writer Jeph Loeb noticed and added subtle hints of their possible more than friendship relationship. Rictor leaves X-Force which upsets Shatterstar; and then returns when Shatterstar is in trouble. After Zero Tolerance, Rictor again wants to leave the team and this time Shatterstar leaves with them. Time passes and the two are pretty much limbo until PAD reboots X-Factor. Rictor stars in the book from the beginning; later on a mission Shatterstar appears possessed and battles Rictor and Strong Guy. After his possession wears off the first thing he does is kiss Rictor, which ends up being the first same sex kiss in a Marvel Comic. The two begin having relationship with each other; they struggle as Shatterstar wants to be open and have Rictor as his anchor. At the end of X-Factor the two are sent to the future of Mojoworld; its unclear how they returned but they appear in Secret Empire. Their relationship has been on and off depending on who has been writing them. Shatterstar had a mini (which I did not read) that Rictor appeared in as well. Recently, he made a cameo on Krakoa in X-Force.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

Karma has always been my favorite New Mutant. I hope to see her used more soon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    9th Place: David Alleyne aka Prodigy - 140 Points

There he bummed into Speed from the Young Avengers...
    He wishes!

Sorry, that typo amused me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    He wishes!

Sorry, that typo amused me.
    These are riddled with them. I need to proof read.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Yup! And someone who’s an established character.

Ultimate Member

Ah, Shattybuns. Cable and Deadpool are way more popular, but he's one of my favorite Liefield creations, along with Domino, and nobodies like Tempo and Dragoness.

Gosh, Gideon and Stryfe sure went on to amount to a big fat stack of jack...