Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Power Girl and Major Bummer Petitions

I wanna discuss two of my favorites.

Major Bummer, Lou Martin
    And
    Power Girl, Karen Starr

DC Comics Major Bummer

John Arcudi and Doug Mahnke
    The Complete Major Bummer Super Slacktacular!

Firstly, I follow Doug Mahnke the Penciller for the short lived series Major Bummer (the mask, host of other dc books). 15 issues was all that was produced. It was eventually collected by Dark Horse.

I bought issue #1 as a small kid, but stopped collecting any books. As an adult found the full Super Spectacular collection on Amazon. You can still find a number of copies for okay price, just search "Major Bummer" ... also kindle and its dirt cheap.

I follow Doug Mahnke and number of months back commented on a MB post he made. Told him I loved the book and wanted them to make a sequal. He said he'd love too make one.

Link to google images if you've never seen the art
    https://www.google.com/search?q=majo...s-ca&prmd=ivsn

So my question is have you read it? If so maybe we can get a petition started and track down new and old fans and get a sequal to this awesome fun, funny satire of heroes.

Anyone advice? Help on how to make this petition happen?

-------------------

POWER GIRL

Loads of versions exist but as far as I know only one solo series exists. I own all the books in the series except the last one Power Girl Old Friends... mostly cause the used copies on Amazon are high priced and wasnt a fan of how the art looked in that last trade.

Really wanna see PG in all her glory, and for her to not be tied to Harley Quinn. I enjoyed the humor of the PG series but would love to see her in main continuity, with serious plots, part of big events, but still have her awesome sense of humor and drawn beautifully as she was by Amanda Connor and other great artists.

I've heard whispers fans think she would be apart of new JSA book! Thatd be dope.

So like Major Bummer, I wanna create a petition for Power Girl and get fans signing it, DC is likely going through some big changes with all the global turmoil, and dan didio... so now may be a great time to petition them and get some more obscure characters to the for front !

What are your guys thoughts.

Please check leave some comments and get this thread some traction!

Check out attachments below
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Menacer; 03-27-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

A petition won't do anything. Just buy what she appears in and show support when she does. Tweet at DC and creators that you're glad to see her around, buy the book, etc.

I love PG too, but the only reason she's appearing with Harley is because Jimmy and Amanda love her and want to use her while working on Harley. She wouldn't be showing up at so otherwise, outside of crowd shots because artists like drawing her. Those two are her biggest champions working at DC right now. I heard Christopher Priest had a Karen and Tanya team up planned but DC wasn't interested. Time will tell what happens with her.

I expect we'll eventually see her more when the present day JSA returns. Until then, just show support in positive ways.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    A petition won't do anything. Just buy what she appears in and show support when she does. Tweet at DC and creators that you're glad to see her around, buy the book, etc.
    That doesn't really do anything, either, to be honest. For characters who that has worked for, like Venom, Wolverine, Cable, and Deadpool, you don't really need to tell people to buy stuff they appear in and to bug creators. They're pretty undeniable. If you need to tell people that, or if that needs to be some initiative, it won't work.

The truth is your best bet is that there are influential creators who want to do something with the characters you like.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    That doesn't really do anything, either, to be honest. For characters who that has worked for, like Venom, Wolverine, Cable, and Deadpool, you don't really need to tell people to buy stuff they appear in and to bug creators. They're pretty undeniable. If you need to tell people that, or if that needs to be some initiative, it won't work.

The truth is your best bet is that there are influential creators who want to do something with the characters you like.
    Probably. If she gets a patron, a lot could be done with her. But nothing will at DC unless that happens. After all, that's what's made it happen at DC for years now, someone influential taking a character under their wing.

That said, it probably wouldn't hurt to show support for PG, or indeed Major Bummer if that's your thing, or any other character you like that isn't getting any use, on forums where the folks at DC hang out. I doubt they'll act based on that alone, but it might at least get someone there THINKING about the character.

I love PG too, but the only reason she's appearing with Harley is because Jimmy and Amanda love her and want to use her while working on Harley. She wouldn't be showing up at so otherwise, outside of crowd shots because artists like drawing her. Those two are her biggest champions working at DC right now. I heard Christopher Priest had a Karen and Tanya team up planned but DC wasn't interested. Time will tell what happens with her.

I expect we'll eventually see her more when the present day JSA returns. Until then, just show support in positive ways.
    As far as buying books PG appears in... I do that already, but if PG appears in a Supergirl book, and I buy Supergirl, how does that send the signal I like PG? Doesnt it just say I'm buying Supergirl.

Also the idea I should buy books to show my support dont work for a character's like Lou Martin... Major Bummer was printed in the 90s and then reprinted in 2011... he's not in main continuity so unless Doug Mahnke just draws him into other books youd never see him appear... plus those books were heavy comedic satire... not he flavor of a usual DC book.

If PG would appear in a regular role in JSA it would be a huge contributing factor for me.

As far as tweeting creators ... Major Bummer only had 1 writer and 1 Penciller and my original post states I contacted Doug.

Any case, maybe your right, a petition is pointless. But the idea was I'd make a post that would maybe result in other fans of Major Bummer commenting on how they loved the books. Or possibly people would see this and google Major Bummer, maybe even buy an ebook or one of the few remaining paperback copies on Amazon...

Though granted, based on the response so far I'm guessing no one has even read Major Bummer.

Any case thanks all you guys for responding

I would love to see Power Girl on a regular basis again. Someone needs to overcome her two major problematic issues thoughand no, that's not a reference to her breasts)
    -- Her continuity is as messed up as Hawkman and Donna Troy. There may not have been as many attempts to correct it, but her lack of solid backstory undermines her as a long-term property as she lacks an identity other than "blonde Superman who isn't Supergirl."
    -- Okay, and also yes, her breasts. (I think it started with Bart Sears in JLE, but I'm not sure when they started defining her) Aside from the danger of some artists taking it too far into exploitation, they've come to define her personality as well. I actually appreciated how writers have tried to explain it as part of her rationale as a superhero, etc. but past that, there isn't a ton more. (although I could be mistaken as I haven't read all her stories) There's a generation of heroes who were created without much thought into their origins and motivations and nobody really cared back then, but these days it helps to know who this hero is as a person. (other than "I declare my female strength in your face")

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    As far as buying books PG appears in... I do that already, but if PG appears in a Supergirl book, and I buy Supergirl, how does that send the signal I like PG? Doesnt it just say I'm buying Supergirl.

Also the idea I should buy books to show my support dont work for a character's like Lou Martin... Major Bummer was printed in the 90s and then reprinted in 2011... he's not in main continuity so unless Doug Mahnke just draws him into other books youd never see him appear... plus those books were heavy comedic satire... not he flavor of a usual DC book.

If PG would appear in a regular role in JSA it would be a huge contributing factor for me.

As far as tweeting creators ... Major Bummer only had 1 writer and 1 Penciller and my original post states I contacted Doug.

Any case, maybe your right, a petition is pointless. But the idea was I'd make a post that would maybe result in other fans of Major Bummer commenting on how they loved the books. Or possibly people would see this and google Major Bummer, maybe even buy an ebook or one of the few remaining paperback copies on Amazon...

Though granted, based on the response so far I'm guessing no one has even read Major Bummer.

Any case thanks all you guys for responding
    You're right on Major Bummer, his name is appropriate on that front, but with PG just do your best to be positive. The tweeting thing is mostly just to make sure you can show your appreciation to whoever actually uses her and hope it shows them you want more of her specifically. Beyond that, all you really can do is buy what she appears in. There's not much-- as a fan-- that you can do other than purchase and hope an influential creator likes her enough and wants to put her in something.

If Bendis, for example, wanted to write a PG book then you'd get to see her again. That said, while I like a good deal of what he did in Superman (his Action Comics started strong and has really fallen off), I don't know that I want him to be the one in charge of PG. I don't think he'd get her.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I would love to see Power Girl on a regular basis again. Someone needs to overcome her two major problematic issues thoughand no, that's not a reference to her breasts)
    -- Her continuity is as messed up as Hawkman and Donna Troy. There may not have been as many attempts to correct it, but her lack of solid backstory undermines her as a long-term property as she lacks an identity other than "blonde Superman who isn't Supergirl."
    -- Okay, and also yes, her breasts. (I think it started with Bart Sears in JLE, but I'm not sure when they started defining her) Aside from the danger of some artists taking it too far into exploitation, they've come to define her personality as well. I actually appreciated how writers have tried to explain it as part of her rationale as a superhero, etc. but past that, there isn't a ton more. (although I could be mistaken as I haven't read all her stories) There's a generation of heroes who were created without much thought into their origins and motivations and nobody really cared back then, but these days it helps to know who this hero is as a person. (other than "I declare my female strength in your face")
    The legend of course is that Wally Wood did it, over the course of a number of issues, to see if his editor noticed. That's been disputed....and even if the course of the artwork confirmed it, we'll never know probably, unless he talked about it to someone. Sears AFAIK was the first to draw PG as a really big woman, tall, and yes, in that way too.

And absolutely a lack of any definitive backstory, along with no real mission every other hero does...no niche in other words, and no patron, that's what's holding her back.

Extraordinary Member

You're right on Major Bummer, his name is appropriate on that front, but with PG just do your best to be positive. The tweeting thing is mostly just to make sure you can show your appreciation to whoever actually uses her and hope it shows them you want more of her specifically. Beyond that, all you really can do is buy what she appears in. There's not much-- as a fan-- that you can do other than purchase and hope an influential creator likes her enough and wants to put her in something.

If Bendis, for example, wanted to write a PG book then you'd get to see her again. That said, while I like a good deal of what he did in Superman (his Action Comics started strong and has really fallen off), I don't know that I want him to be the one in charge of PG. I don't think he'd get her.
    Well, there IS one major thing fans can do for characters like these, a sort of orphan character; and that's to buy the character specific merchandise, if any. There certain is for PG, and that's one item DC does pay attention to. I really don't know if Major Bummer has any though.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Major Bummer was a fun book and Mahnke's art was a highlight at the time.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Well, there IS one major thing fans can do for characters like these, a sort of orphan character; and that's to buy the character specific merchandise, if any. There certain is for PG, and that's one item DC does pay attention to. I really don't know if Major Bummer has any though.
    Yeah but you'd be buying it off eBay or the like which DC can't track, ergo it wouldn't get to them.

I can't believe I forgot it, but reread her book on DC Universe if you have access and recommend it to others as well.

DC can track those stats and she shows up every now and then in Top Books Being Read or whatever it was, much as Nightwing does as proof of popularity.

Yeah but you'd be buying it off eBay or the like which DC can't track, ergo it wouldn't get to them.

I can't believe I forgot it, but reread her book on DC Universe if you have access and recommend it to others as well.

DC can track those stats and she shows up every now and then in Top Books Being Read or whatever it was, much as Nightwing does as proof of popularity.
    I dont read digital though. Only read real books.

What book is on DC Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Major Bummer was a fun book and Mahnke's art was a highlight at the time.
    Have you ever found another series like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I dont read digital though. Only read real books.

What book is on DC Universe?
    Tons. Over 20,000, including Power Girl. I've come to appreciate digital. I got a tablet for DC Universe and it's nice to read while in bed without worrying that I'll fall asleep and ruin an out-of-print book. I still prefer print and have a massive print library, but digital is pretty cool! Especially for out-of-print stuff that is way too expensive to buy on ebay (looking at you, Starman) or too rare to find in person.

No Major Bummer, though. I looked for you. Sorry, dude.

Tons. Over 20,000, including Power Girl. I've come to appreciate digital. I got a tablet for DC Universe and it's nice to read while in bed without worrying that I'll fall asleep and ruin an out-of-print book. I still prefer print and have a massive print library, but digital is pretty cool! Especially for out-of-print stuff that is way too expensive to buy on ebay (looking at you, Starman) or too rare to find in person.

No Major Bummer, though. I looked for you. Sorry, dude.
    I dont doubt there are advantages... and 20000 issues sounds awesome.

As far as i know the service is not available in Canada though.

Ultimately i prefer reading books to get away from looking at screens and i like owning a physical copy. If the service comes to Canada and I can get a reader for a good price I could see myself going for it.

Obvs i own Major Bummer but its a shame its not on there for new readers.

Is it just the Amanda Connor PG stuff on there? Any specifics on which issues or how many?