Mighty Member

Default Tony Curtis underrated?

I thought Jamie Lee's father was a very talented actor. His best output was probably during the 50s and 60s. I can't think anything he did worthy of note from the 70s onward. I'm sure there was a couple gems. But obviously Some Like it Hot is a classic if you're looking for comedy as well as The Great Race. Sweet Smell of Success for drama.

Retired

Tony Curtis was in the one season TV series, THE PERSUADERS (1971 - 1972), co-starring with Roger Moore. That was excellent.

In the 1980s, he became famous for his paintings and that seemed to be his main interest. Perhaps it was therapy for him, since he experienced a lot of family trauma as a child.

Plus his daughter was pretty big in the 80s too (and still is, kind of).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

In the 50s and 60s he was definitely a Movie Star! Mostly TV and lower budget films after that.

Here is a funny Tony Curtis related story Harrison Ford told.

''There was a guy that was in charge of what they call the new talent programme and he called me into his office and he said, 'Sit down kid, I saw the rushes from yesterday, you're never going to make it in the business just forget about it.'
    He said, 'The first movie Tony Curtis was ever in he delivered a bag of groceries. You took one look at that guy and you said that's a movie star.'
    And I leaned across his desk and said, 'I thought you were supposed to think that was a grocery delivery boy.'
    He said, 'Get out of my office,' which I was happy to do. I didn't last much longer with them.''
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Mighty Member

anyone see The Boston Strangler or The Defiant Ones?

Fantastic Member

Houdini was one of my favorite movies as a child.

This is probably true.

He was a big star, and he's been in some excellent movies. But today, we mainly remember Some Like It Hot, Spartacus, and maybe, the Sweet Smell of Success.

There isn't much conversation about The Defiant Ones (beyond the historical significance), Operation Petticoat or the Boston Strangler, films that were hits that showed his range.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

If you have Amazon Prime, you can catch him in all his late 90s glory on the Rifftrax of Star Games.

You best believe that outer space can't handle the old Bronx accent.