Default In what areas do you think what heroes should disagree with you?

I see a lot of people that want certain heroes to fight for social justice or hate corporations or whatnot. I think that works well with some heroes (though how they are actually supposed to fight for that in an action-packed way or whether that's supposed to be personal actions outside of heroing aren't always clear), but is completely contradictory to established personalities for other heroes. But then I thought what are some ways that heroes you like should disagree with you and that you think have at least some speck of basis in canon (they vary and even contradict a lot over time, so there's room to work, I think). The key is it has to be character you like, not one you just want to be insulting towards. For instance, if you think cannabis (or all drugs) should be legal, what heroes do you think should have a tough-on-drugs approach? Who do you think should favor more or less gun control than you do? Who is more or less religious than you? Who just doesn't really care about politics or even political corruption, if that's something important to you? And so forth and so on.

Not all superheroes are particularly vigilante-ish (I mean, terms of dealing with any sort of real-world crime). But several are, and some of those I think are likely to favor are more likely "tough on crime" approach, or even punishment over rehabilitation. Particularly for crimes where innocent people are killed or even physically harmed. And, if they aren't hypocrites (and some are), they aren't likely to be fussed about warrants or police brutality (at least against actual criminals).

Another thing is, of course, heroes change with the times. There are things that were once mainstream ideas that are now very right or left or even fringe. I think most heroes - not all, but most - are best served by keeping in the same place relative to the mainstream. And since most DC heroes are American, that's relative to US for most of them. This, of course, only applies to heroes where any of their political beliefs are important (which isn't really most) and then only to the areas they are important in. For me, one I struggle with is Green Arrow. He's actually been a very politically minded/representative for a long time. Him actually running for office and having one as he did would be fantastic, IMO, if it weren't such a stupid thing for a character with a secret identity to do (I like him with a secret identity). But I don't think he can do both believably, and reading a hero is more fun than reading a politician. But for me, once that comes up is drugs, and the changing public perspective on them - from legalization to treating drug addiction to a public health issue. Are dealers the friendly neighborhood businessman who help people avoid ridiculous laws or parasites preying on the community or does it depend what they deal? Have any comic characters ever had the viewpoint where some currently illegal drugs should be legal and others not? Ollie's traditionally been liberal and liberals seem more likely to be against GMOs (not just from a business perspective, but from a safety perspective). I don't agree that GMOs are inherently dangerous (monocropping much predates GMOs, so I don't blame them for that), but maybe Ollie should? But anti-vaxx used to be at least a trope about rich, liberal, west-coasters, and I just never have Ollie be that anti-evidence.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-28-2020 at 10:40 AM.

I’m a longtime vegan and animal rights activist. My favorite character is Kate Kane. Kate is not even a vegetarian. I’d love it if she were just like I’d love it if more people I know and care about were. But Kate’s not going to stop being my favorite just because she’s not vegan just like I’m not going to end relationships with people in my life because they’re not vegan.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    I’m a longtime vegan and animal rights activist. My favorite character is Kate Kane. Kate is not even a vegetarian. I’d love it if she were just like I’d love it if more people I know and care about were. But Kate’s not going to stop being my favorite just because she’s not vegan just like I’m not going to end relationships with people in my life because they’re not vegan.
    Okay, but are there any characters you love you specifically wouldn't want to become vegan? That shouldn't agree with you? That you think it's significant or important to their characterizations that they disagree with you?

Though, obviously, if veganism became more mainstream in the US, more heroes would follow it, so there's a real-world thing there, but that's not what I meant. I meant where the hero you like disagrees with you, and you wouldn't change that.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-28-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'd rather they stick to broad philosophical arguments than politically pointed policy points.

But to pick one example, if Superman really has soul-vision or whatever, I would imagine he might be uncomfortable with factory farming and possibly abortions. I am pro-choice, so the latter would be a point of possible disagreement.

I like Hawkman having an often brutal eye-for-an-eye approach, though I don't agree with it myself.

Barry Allen is a cop, and for me to think of that as actually heroic, I'd have to think of the world as fundamentally different, which the DC Universe essentially is, so it doesn't really count.

It's hard to think of examples when these characters operate in a very different world with different rules.