Default Hitman Explains Why Superman Represents Everything Good About America

I loved reading this. When was this written? I think a scene like this could work very well in live action in a movie or show (except the killing) because it shows how much depth Superman really has as a character and the struggles he goes through. It's not all easy for him. Plus it doesn't feel out of character.

Who do you think could be that person Superman talks to? It can't end so dark like this.

https://www.cbr.com/hitman-superman-...ampaign=CBR-TW

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There was a follow up where Superman discusses the ending of this with Tommy, too.

I don't know how it would work for others, maybe pretty well because a lot of people don't see the appeal of Superman or maybe have forgotten.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Him joining the melting pot is correct to a t. Clark being an upstanding citizen might be pushing it. Other than that superman needs characters like hitman. Too bad he was a character of gotham.Seriously, Superman needs to move to gotham. That city needs a superman. Current, Metropolis doesn't.

Clark is talking about bruce. Clark was searching for bruce and found tommy. the issue ends like that.
    There is another issue with jl and tommy. Clark was disappointed with tommy being a hired gun. Batman on the other hand was fuming and was on kyle rayner's case for working with tommy.And they call superman the boyscout. Sheesh!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-28-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Does Superman know that Tommy is a hired hitman?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Does Superman know that Tommy is a hired hitman?
    He comes to know. Batman brings him to the watch tower, later.That scene with clark actually mourning for tommy being gone is my favourite bar none.

Astonishing Member

Never actually read the story but looking at the snippets I can't say I care for it. Idk what it is about Superman but something scares the living daylights out of people thinking he has some kind of connection to his homeworld. But I think they more you try and reduce Superman down to a single influential point the weaker he becomes. I think deep down people have a certain amount of foreign invader fear towards Superman. It explains both the fear towards Krypton and the need to have Batman put Superman "in his place".
    Last edited by The World; 03-28-2020 at 02:20 PM.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Never actually read the story but looking at the snippets I can't say I care for it. Idk what it is about Superman but something scares the living daylights out of people thinking he has some kind of connection to his homeworld. But I think they more you try and reduce Superman down to a single influential point the weaker he becomes.
    This has nothing to do with downplaying kryptonIan influences of clark and everything to do with clark being friends with a killer and hired gun. The conversation was more about the present mattering more than the past. Past is dead. So is krypton. Clark is alive. He is here. He can't live in the past. That doesn't mean he isn't kryptonIan. Nor does it mean that hitman wants him to forget his heritage. The story is easily one of the best postcrisis superman stories i know of.

Astonishing Member

Fair enough. I could have misread that scene and focused in on the things that bother me in relation to Superman.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Fair enough. I could have misread that scene and focused in on the things that bother me in relation to Superman.
    I might have gotten a little defensive myself. This was one of the stories that unequivocally connected me to postcrisis superman.None of the other ones like "whats so funny" do it for me, what this story does.Post crisis Superman for once tries to understand a person who lives in a different world than him and actually almost makes a true friend or confidant . Alas, he dies. Clark never got the chance. Its tragic.

Retired

As a Canadian, I find Tommy's reasoning terribly flawed. Garth Ennis is from Ireland and now an American citizen, so maybe that's what he feels. It does sound very American--and it's a sentiment that I've seen other Canadians also share. They get so mad at people who come to this country and just stay stuck in their own bubble. I did volunteer work with immigrants and I see it differently.

In Canada, what we say is that we're a mosaic whereas the U.S. is a melting pot. People like me think that our strength as a country is respecting others' differences and we should encourage people to embrace their own language, their own culture, their own faith. They shouldn't have to feel they need to lose that part of their identity to fit in.

And certainly First Nations should not have to assimilate. We want them to recover their language, culture, faith as best they can--the colonial culture tried to strip that from them and produced a generational trauma that is still being healed.

The more people have pride in their distinct identity, the greater we will all be as a collective.

In that Hitman scene, Superman is a chump. He's so down on himself and accepts whatever Tommy is saying. I don't recognize that Man of Steel. Clark would at the very least debate the merits of Tommy's philosophy and wouldn't just knuckle under and accept whatever aphorisms he was given. Superman is not that stupid. The great thing about the Action Ace is that he is from elsewhere--his unique circumstances give him a perspective on the United States that native citizens don't have. He knows so much, can see so much more than the rest of us--he should believe in himself and share his language, culture and faith with all of us. He shouldn't need to melt away his foreign matter to be part of the alloy.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

"Superman is a chump." I am not into Superman dropping to a rooftop to sulk and getting that mental massage from a stranger. It's just the idea taking up the story to me is weak, how he just sits through that, even if I don't think Superman is above encouragement or anything. I like the story Jeff Loveness did.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I sometimes find it easier to talk to a stranger than someone i know. And he didn't just "take it". He tries to leave couple of times. He needed someone to talk to and get a different perspective. From the conversation he got that whatever happened, happened. It's in the past. The present is more important.As for embracing differences,not every difference should be or can be embraced .It's about ideas, which one is better. It's true that our past identites cannot be erased. But, it is irrelevant. Once, you join a new society. If you are responsible person, your would be working for the betterment of that society. Not stay stuck in your world or past. I mean, if your objective is to be part of new society or have an new life, why would you wanna do the same thing you did in the past over and over again? It would be counter productive. While, an outsiders perspective is very needed thing, is very important.That doesn't negate the value of an insider.What is he supposed to debate exactly? First of all, he was flattered.if A guy he met thinks this high of you. For a modest guy, it will mean alot. He wasn't there for any of that.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-29-2020 at 09:50 AM.