View Poll Results: How would you rate Rosenberg's X-Men run?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

1 1.19%
  • ★★★★

4 4.76%
  • ★★★

14 16.67%
  • ★★

19 22.62%
  • 46 54.76%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I wish I could give him negative stars. Phoenix Ressurection sucked, Jean was a side character in an event about her long-awaited return. Uncanny was terrible, Astonishing was meh.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Astonishing
    Uncanny
    War of Realms

I thought it was a very amusing mix of uncertainty and love letter. That sort of makes it a perfect send off to the dark ages even if that means ending up with a lot of cliche story beats. 7/10 but I'll round up to show some love.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    If you’re a good writer, that shouldn’t matter.
    Not that there was much given to the X writers following 2004 but that spot seemed pretty uniquely awkward. What is your best example of making something similar work?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The best example of a writer doing a great job with a bad concept is Kieron Gillen writing the best X-Men comics of the decade (pre-Hickman) with his tie-ins to an terrible event like AvX.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Bad writing, bad characterization, poorly executed ideas, with bad art.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

It looked like a dumpster fire.

So I skipped it. We gon' save that money.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    The best example of a writer doing a great job with a bad concept is Kieron Gillen writing the best X-Men comics of the decade (pre-Hickman) with his tie-ins to an terrible event like AvX.
    AvX was an awful event and a cornerstone of the effort to throw the franchise under to put another higher. However, Gillen's run pre AvX was already longer than what Rosenberg had in total. He didn't get stuck in a gap to bide time for Bendis.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Probably the run with the biggest fall in quality I've seen in a long time. It has a solid start, Rosenberg put some effort until, at least, issue 15 or 16, I think. The one where Hope kills the senator, anyway. From there, it becomes so shallow and edgy, I can't even be angry at him, I'm just sorry. It could have been great. Cyclops and Wolverine taking out the villains back to back in Westchester is the last great X-Men moment before Hickman. And surely my favorite since Secret Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    Rosenbubble's run sucked, and it feels bad to say that. Iirc, in one of Hickman's interviews, he acknowledge the lack of effort by the x-office(or something along those lines) due to numerous factors (implied to be the lack of movie rights) which was especially true for Rosenburger's UXM run. In Roseberger's interview, he mentioned he was going through a low moment in his life while writing UXM, and UXM helped him process through whatever it was. Kudos to Rosenbimby, but there's also a reason why most professionals (and by this, I'm not narrowing the scope to just creatives, but also doctors, lawyers, etc) apply for leave when they go through a tragedy.

In the end, the run was filled with cheap deaths, edginess for edginess' sake, one-note shock factor--- and absolutely zero consequences once Hickman stepped in. It became filler-- a placeholder until Hickman got his story beats sorted.
    Im not sure I completely agree with this. Rosenberg's run made it so that the stuff Hickman did was much more palpable. He had to make things so dire for mutantkind that they would flock to Krakoa as a much needed alternative to the status quo that was left in the wake of Disassembled. Rahne's death was touched upon as she was one of the few we saw resurrected from the pods. Sebastian's death is a current plot point being used in Maraurders. Dani got her powers back in that run and she is using them now. I would not be surprised if more pops up as characters from his run get used

Rosenberg had good ideas but the execution was horrible. His run started to get better towards the end when it stopped being villian of the week type stories and it became more serialized. What I didnt like is that he used it to wrap up his lingering plotlines from his minis but those felt rushed and out of place. Many of his issues could have been 2-3 parters bc of the timing he was forced to move too fast which made for weaker writing.
    Last edited by Havok83; 03-29-2020 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Not that there was much given to the X writers following 2004 but that spot seemed pretty uniquely awkward. What is your best example of making something similar work?
    Kyle and Yost were tasked with trimming down the student population and I really feel that they handled that with grace. It’s similar since they were both periods that had very grimdark storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    I wish I could give him negative stars. Phoenix Ressurection sucked, Jean was a side character in an event about her long-awaited return. Uncanny was terrible, Astonishing was meh.
    His take on Jean's return was mediocre at best. Embarrassing at worst.
    Uncanny was unreadable.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xiyon View Post
    In the end, the run was filled with [...] zero consequences once Hickman stepped in. It became filler-- a placeholder until Hickman got his story beats sorted.
    That's the major issue I have with Dawn of X altogether. It doesn't seem to flow from what came before in any way, or connect to it. That's why it FEELS like an AU (I know it isn't actually an AU).
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    That's the major issue I have with Dawn of X altogether. It doesn't seem to flow from what came before in any way, or connect to it. That's why it FEELS like an AU (I know it isn't actually an AU).
    Yeah that bothered me at first too. In my headcanon the reason why the mutants were so willing to go with Krakoa is because half of them were being massacred in Uncanny and the other half had just gotten a taste of what a world without mutant discrimination looks like in Age of X-Man.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Kyle and Yost were tasked with trimming down the student population and I really feel that they handled that with grace. It’s similar since they were both periods that had very grimdark storytelling.
    I'd say they missed a dozen or so.

Incredible Member

His run was awful. I can’t say he has no talent because I like his non X-Men related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by PetPigeon View Post
    I'd say they missed a dozen or so.
    I said trim, not eradicate you monster!!!