Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It's actually about a century or so, give or take a few decades. (Legacy). The villain is actually a fallen Jedi from the prequel era (although one that only appeared in the EU) Legacy of the Force (the novel series) I think took place about 30 years after ROTJ, roughly the same years the sequel trilogy takes place.

On the other hand the Skywalker bloodline in Legacy is doing far better and has I think has quite a few branches, even bringing the Antilles family into the fold!
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's actually about a century or so, give or take a few decades. (Legacy). The villain is actually a fallen Jedi from the prequel era (although one that only appeared in the EU) Legacy of the Force (the novel series) I think took place about 30 years after ROTJ, roughly the same years the sequel trilogy takes place.

On the other hand the Skywalker bloodline in Legacy is doing far better and has I think has quite a few branches, even bringing the Antilles family into the fold!
    You’ve got the Skywalkers “proper” through Cade Skywalker and his uncle, the Fels are Solo and Antilles descendants, and the Solos have an outright descendant through Jacen’s daughter as well.

Which is a long way of saying that the entire century between the OT and the Legacy story feels a hell of a lot more interesting for the family story than the time period between the OT and the ST, and that’s before qualifying *better* “resurgent Emoire” ideas and several dozen more awesome Jedi.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Kind of a shame Sword of the Jedi got cancelled too.

I think it could be interesting if Disney did consider a Legends continuation of some sort (Apart from re-integrating select parts of it). Or even a weird one-off "Secret Wars" style crossover just for fun. Grand Master Luke vs hermit Luke. Han is reunited with canon Chewie, and vice versa. Leia the General meets Leia the Jedi. Poe meets Jagged Fel. Finn and Kyle Katarn (or Jyn meets Kyle Katarn).Hux meets Palleon or Daala. Jaina vs. Rey. Kylo Ren vs Darth Caedus. Clone Palpatine vs. Clone Palpatine.

Unfortunately this will probably never happen.

Kind of a shame Sword of the Jedi got cancelled too.

I think it could be interesting if Disney did consider a Legends continuation of some sort (Apart from re-integrating select parts of it). Or even a weird one-off "Secret Wars" style crossover just for fun. Grand Master Luke vs hermit Luke. Han is reunited with canon Chewie, and vice versa. Leia the General meets Leia the Jedi. Poe meets Jagged Fel. Finn and Kyle Katarn (or Jyn meets Kyle Katarn).Hux meets Palleon or Daala. Jaina vs. Rey. Kylo Ren vs Darth Caedus. Clone Palpatine vs. Clone Palpatine.

Unfortunately this will probably never happen.
    During the first run of the new Marvel Star Wars comic, they had some time travel and the aliens talked about other dimensions, too.

You never know ... I never thought we'd get an Episode 7 ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    During the first run of the new Marvel Star Wars comic, they had some time travel and the aliens talked about other dimensions, too.

You never know ... I never thought we'd get an Episode 7 ...
    Eh, still a better story than Reylo and Bendemption with the Clonepatine 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Eh, still a better story than Reylo and Bendemption with the Clonepatine 2: Electric Boogaloo.
    I don't know about that but YMMV.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I don't know about that but YMMV.
    Hey, at least when Marvel’s tall creepy evil guy, Knife, started pursuing their original female heroine Dani while still being a bad guy, she at least reacted like he was what he was - a creepy ass bad guy she had no reason to sympathize with.

And I’d take Shira Brie/Lumiya as a much better villain than original Dark Empire Clonepatine, who’s several miles above the Phantom Emperor in terms of cunning and power, and she’s got a much better, well thought out story.

Yeah, it’s 1980’s Comics kitschy, but you’ve got 100% less glorification of an abusive and yet astoundingly blandly written romance, and an original villain who’s actually got multiple story arcs building towards her arrival that’s actually clever.

There was sort of time travel in the Swarm War and Legacy of the force novels, sort of projecting oneself into the past or something like that.

The force-link between Rey and Ren causing objects to teleport from even light years away was kind of just as ridiculous though, although Johnson kind of hinted at it in TLJ with Ren's wet hands.

Extraordinary Member

There was sort of time travel in the Swarm War and Legacy of the force novels, sort of projecting oneself into the past or something like that.

The force-link between Rey and Ren causing objects to teleport from even light years away was kind of just as ridiculous though, although Johnson kind of hinted at it in TLJ with Ren's wet hands.
    I actually don’t mind that, or even Palpatine blasting ships down with Force Lightning. It’s just the way their used in context that makes them kind of “eh, I don’t like that.” I mean, I actually like the idea of Rey handing Ben a lightsaber through the Force... But I absolutely despise the crap out of her looking at him like he’s the best thing since sliced bread. And Palpatine using mega-Force Lightning is basically just the same as the “Force Storms” from Dark Empire, but he’d only using them in TROS so that he can quickly be elevated to enough of a threat to try and make Rey holding lightsabers be cool when that’s never going to be all that impressive.

I have no argument with OTT Force Powers in concept; I kind of can’t have problems with it when I loved Jacen Solo becoming one with the Unifying Force, Avatar State-style.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Hey, at least when Marvel’s tall creepy evil guy, Knife, started pursuing their original female heroine Dani while still being a bad guy, she at least reacted like he was what he was - a creepy ass bad guy she had no reason to sympathize with.

And I’d take Shira Brie/Lumiya as a much better villain than original Dark Empire Clonepatine, who’s several miles above the Phantom Emperor in terms of cunning and power, and she’s got a much better, well thought out story.

Yeah, it’s 1980’s Comics kitschy, but you’ve got 100% less glorification of an abusive and yet astoundingly blandly written romance, and an original villain who’s actually got multiple story arcs building towards her arrival that’s actually clever.
    Lumiya was the one with the light whip wasn't she? I may have to check some of these series out sometime. Any reccomendations?

Lumiya debuted in the old Marvel comics in the era between ESB and ROTJ. Basically, she started as Shira Brie, a Rebel pilot Luke started to develop feelings for. However, during a mission which involved them using stolen TIE fighters, Luke got a force 'feeling' and shot down her TIE, which led to him having to prove his innocence. Turns out Shira was in fact an Imperial spy all along.

However, she survived, but needed cybernetic enhancements and was badly scarred (Nowhere near as bad as Vader though). Also she had force powers, After Endor she became Lumiya, "Dark lady of the Sith", and battled the heroes in the months after that.

She then resurfaced decades later and corrupted Jacen Solo to the dark side, making him Darth Caedus, in the Legacy of the Force novel series.

She has some slight similarities to the Mara Jade character-both have red hair, both are former Imperial agents with force powers etc. Her dialogue in LOTF even acknowledges this:

"Don't judge me too soon, Jacen. My history is very much like your aunt Mara's … except she received some lucky breaks I didn't."

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    "If The Force Awakens was a cheap remake of A New Hope"

It wasn't. Next question, please?
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't. Production costs on the movie ranged between 250-300 million, plus another 175 million in advertising.

There was nothing 'cheap' about this remake.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

If anything goes by cheap it's that Abrams kind of scaled back on the CG of the prequels, using more physical locations, less CG creatures (with some exceptions like Maz) and stuff that would've been CG in the prequels like the Stormtroopers and BB8 were all practical.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Yeah, it definitely wasn't. Production costs on the movie ranged between 250-300 million, plus another 175 million in advertising.

There was nothing 'cheap' about this remake.
    It wasn't a remake period. Time to move on.

(And if you're complaining about the movie paralleling the previous ones, that what Star Wars has always done.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

When everyone who bashes the prequels CONSTANTLY bring up how much better the originals are should we really be surprised?