Default Rebirth Detective Comics - Tynion had plans up to issue 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter
    Is the Designer the villain you originally planned to use as the hidden master mind in Detective comics ? The one who brought Ras and Saint Dumas order together.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tynion IV
    Oh dang, I should say yes and seem very cool, shouldn't I?

The real answer is that I wanted it to be the Future Tim Drake from A Lonely Place of Living. That he would have been cast back in time at the end of that story, and positioned himself as a master manipulator.

I have one doc that outlines the book to 1000, and we would have done interchanging arcs after 975 featuring a Batwoman-led X-Force style team, and a Red Robin led X-Factor style team... All building up to them needing to team up to face what that future Tim had built.

(This is also what Shiva whispered to Cass. She gave her coordinates and a date, and Cass would go and witness a meeting of the secret council and would be the first to see the mysterious figure who would ultimately prove to be future Tim)

None of that was ever more than a twinkle in my eye, though. Mixture of them wanting that future Tim for another story, and the company wanting Detective to revert to a solo Bat-Title. Alas!
    https://twitter.com/JamesTheFourth/s...37840620699653
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh, thank gosh for that. I don't like Evil Tim.

Yeah, the book having to juggle two separate teams and future Tim...I think it's better the way the book ultimately ended up.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Let me understand: since the issue 1000 Detective Comics will become a two-in-one book, hosting the stories of "Batwoman & the Bat-Force" and "Red Robin and the Bat-Factor"? For now it seems to me a little weird, but if the stories will be good I will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Let me understand: since the issue 1000 Detective Comics will become a two-in-one book, hosting the stories of "Batwoman & the Bat-Force" and "Red Robin and the Bat-Factor"? For now it seems to me a little weird, but if the stories will be good I will be happy.
    I wonder if that means they'd have completely written Batman out by then or just assume he would be with Tim's team?

Don't forget Detective was Batwoman's book at one point. So yeah, Batman himself may have been out.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don't think we will see Batman in this "Batwoman and the Bat-force", because he would overshadow Batwoman and because I think it will be a team of vigilantes too aggressive for the Batman's standards, but he could appears in this "Red Robin and the Bat-factor", even if I think since "Pennyworth R.I.P." the Bat-family is officially dead.
    Anyway I would love know what Tynion meant with "X-Force and X-Factor style team": if the examples are a powerful way to summarize what a person thinks, they are also a likewise powerful way to let other people misunderstand that thougth.

Force = black ops. Factor = investigations.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, the book having to juggle two separate teams and future Tim...I think it's better the way the book ultimately ended up.
    I disagree - I liked the glimpses we saw of Kate, Luke, and Jean-Paul working, and didn't think it distracted too much from Tim, Bruce, Cass, etc. Though as I'm sure will be no surprise, my biggest problem is that Steph's development was most inconsistent and backgrounded (even though #980 did a good job tying her together and honoring her history), and I would hope she'd have a bigger part than she ultimately did in the last 6 issues.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Force = black ops. Factor = investigations.
    During the nineties X-Force was a paramilitary version of the X-Men (more or less) and X-Factor was a governmental team, so I don't want take what Tynion meant for granted.

I think it's obvious he meant the more recent versions, certainly in X-Factor's case. The 90s government team concept definitely wouldn't work with Batman, and investigations a la the Jamie Madrox series definitely fits.

Sorry, I have given to you a misleading answer: I was pointing out how the use of the examples can be traitor. It was only a little rant due to the use to abuse of the example like it were a shortcut to explain ours own thoughts, without actually explain them.
    Obviously I agree with you, because it seems the most logical interpretation.