Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Marvel vs. DC Flame Wars Are DUMB

I'm guilty. I admit it. I used to be one of those guys who started crap on the Internet. I'm mostly a Marvel fan, and I used to engage in "flame wars" just to piss off DC fans.

Then I grew up and realized that both companies are awesome in unique ways, and neither of them should be free from a critical eye. Wasting time on flame wars is stupid. Don't do it.

What are your guys' thoughts? Should brand loyalty be a point of division for comic fans, or should we learn to just get along and have reasonable discussions about our differing tastes?

Quote Originally Posted by MetaComix View Post

I'm guilty. I admit it. I used to be one of those guys who started crap on the Internet. I'm mostly a Marvel fan, and I used to engage in "flame wars" just to piss off DC fans.

Then I grew up and realized that both companies are awesome in unique ways,
    This, right here.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

BANNED

Yeah, I hate them as well. Though I have more experiences with bad DC fans, rather than with Marvel fans. Basically every flame war goes like this:

-Marvel movie is doing great at the box office.
    -Marvel fan says how awesome that is.
    -Marvelite says how awful DC's movies are.
    -DC fanboy starts saying how Marvel is for kiddies and DC is for grown ups.
    -Another DC fan says how awful Marvel comics,games,toys,etc are and how their only good thing, their movies, will wear out because DC will create its own universe soon.
    -Another DC fan comes in and says that a shared universe isn't even needed because it restricts use of characters.
    -DC announces "plans".
    -DC fans start going crazy about how Marvel is gonna get screwed.

Every flame war I've ever been in follows this same pattern. Now, I know that Marvel fanboys are just as bad, it's just that I've never encountered one being such an asshole. Don't get me started on the Lego flame wars...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    Yeah, I hate them as well. Though I have more experiences with bad DC fans, rather than with Marvel fans. Basically every flame war goes like this:

-Another DC fan says how awful Marvel comics,games,toys,etc are and how their only good thing, their movies, will wear out because DC will create its own universe soon.
    -Another DC fan comes in and says that a shared universe isn't even needed because it restricts use of characters.
    -DC announces "plans".

Every flame war I've ever been in follows this same pattern. Now, I know that Marvel fanboys are just as bad, it's just that I've never encountered one being such an asshole. Don't get me started on the Lego flame wars...

Dude, you seriously nailed it here LOL. This really is the exact pattern for flame wars. It's so ridiculous. It seems that it hasn't occurred to most of these individuals that competition between the Big Two is GOOD for fans lol. It means higher quality films from BOTH companies, which means we win. Folks just don't get it lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post

-DC announces "plans".

Wait, wait, wait, wait. There are Lego flame wars I'm sorry I know the routine of Marvel vs DC fanboys its like that in every fan base rivalry just ask the Avengers fans vs X-fans.
    But Lego flame wars, hows does that work? I thought Lego fanboys would usually be at war with the Mega Blocks fans.
    Last edited by stingnewell; 08-11-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Amazing Member

haha, I didn't even see that part of the reply! Yes, now I'm intrigued to know more about Lego flame wars...how is that even possible?

Astonishing Member

Comparing powers and such of characters from diferente companies is fun though.Who is stronger and so on.
    But plain hating a diferente company just because one is fan,always made no much sense to me.
    As i have been saying both Marvel and DC have good and bad comic books and characters.
    And storywise or art wise with the way these have similiar traits it is odd to say that one company is way better that the other one in those departments.

but their flame wars are lame mine are justified because

Quote Originally Posted by MetaComix View Post
    haha, I didn't even see that part of the reply! Yes, now I'm intrigued to know more about Lego flame wars...how is that even possible?
    there is lost of melting involved I would think

BANNED

Rivalries can be a healthy thing. Keeps fandoms sharp and on their toes.

Long as it's mostly in good fun.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    Rivalries can be a healthy thing. Keeps fandoms sharp and on their toes.

Long as it's mostly in good fun.
    Totally agree with that. Unfortunately, my experience has been mostly negative in that regard. I'm all for a little poke and jab as long as it doesn't escalate into some huge dramatic ordeal.

BANNED

Meh I like Marvels comic books, but love DC's cartoons.

welcome to the internet

The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    This, right here.
    Exactly. I love Marvel more, but DC is amazing as well.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Even as a young kid I always read stuff from both companies. Both have had their ups and downs.