Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 16.22%
  • No

31 83.78%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should they make Superman half Canadian?

You know as like a shout out to Shuster?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I'm not a USA citizen, neither inhabitant of the USA territories. But even me understand than Superman represents a lot of the american culture and idiosincracy. It is part of the story of the United States. you can check what Garth Ennis explained about Superman in these threads & pages:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-About-America

https://www.cbr.com/hitman-superman-...ampaign=CBR-TW

You could argue make Superman jewish perfectly too. But it changes the core of the characters. It could make an interesting elseworld, but changes the essence of the character.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

What is half Canadian? Like a Canadian motorist finds him and drops him off in Kansas? Or Martha hails from BC and brings him there for summers?

Brian Vaughan, a Cleveland native, did a funny bit on it in We Stand On Guard.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    What is half Canadian? Like a Canadian motorist finds him and drops in Kansas? Or Martha hails from BC and brings him there for summers?
    How would that make clark Canadian(motorcyclist origin) ? And why Canada? Why not mexico?
    On, funnier note.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-29-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    And why Canada? Why not mexico?
    As the OP says Shuster was from Toronto.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    What is half Canadian? Like a Canadian motorist finds him and drops him off in Kansas? Or Martha hails from BC and brings him there for summers?

Brian Vaughan, a Cleveland native, did a funny bit on it in We Stand On Guard.
    Something like that. Maybe Clark's actual ship crashes in Canada while Jon and Martha are visiting family or something and one of them has roots in the country. Clark spends time going back and forth from Kansas to Saskatchewan or Manitoba or something.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I'm not a USA citizen, neither inhabitant of the USA territories. But even me understand than Superman represents a lot of the american culture and idiosincracy. It is part of the story of the United States. you can check what Garth Ennis explained about Superman in these threads & pages:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-About-America

https://www.cbr.com/hitman-superman-...ampaign=CBR-TW

You could argue make Superman jewish perfectly too. But it changes the core of the characters. It could make an interesting elseworld, but changes the essence of the character.

Half American is still American.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    You know as like a shout out to Shuster?
    As a Proud American, No, absolutely not!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I mean, he's an alien so technically he can't be "half" any type of human. Regardless of where they are from.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I mean, he's an alien so technically he can't be "half" any type of human. Regardless of where they are from.

That's an ethnicity/species thing I put that in another category from his Nationality.Though I guess it would be better to call him Krpto-Candian-American.

Now that I think about it do we know what region/city of Krypton Superman was born in. We know Supergirl lived in Argo-City.

Major retcon 80 years into the character's history after he's extremely widely known to the mainstream audience - no. It'd never keep. Plus, I think there's something negative about giving characters traits of their creators that their creators never intended them to have. It's gotta kinda/sorta fanficcy vibe, if you know what I mean. Creators don't necessarily intend their creations to be like themselves (I recall at least one of the creators said Bruce Wayne was meant to be a WASP, not Jewish). Though if the creators ever did intend it, that can sometimes be a murkier case.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Major retcon 80 years into the character's history after he's extremely widely known to the mainstream audience - no. It'd never keep. Plus, I think there's something negative about giving characters traits of their creators that their creators never intended them to have. It's gotta kinda/sorta fanficcy vibe, if you know what I mean. Creators don't necessarily intend their creations to be like themselves (I recall at least one of the creators said Bruce Wayne was meant to be a WASP, not Jewish). Though if the creators ever did intend it, that can sometimes be a murkier case.
    that's not really an issue. Clark was living in a orphanage even in postcrisis continuity. Regardless, it would just be a homage nothing more.

Well, he wasn't born on Earth he's so he really isn't American or Canadian.

Maybe make one of the Kents Canadian if you want to reference Schuster, maybe Martha.

I don't see the point in doing this after 82 years.

I may not agree with Superdad, but even I have to admit it's advancing the character in a story arc (that I just don't happen to like). Making Superman "half-Canadian" does no such thing. It'd more pointless than when he denounced his US citizenship in Superman 900.

If they wanted to say that either Martha or Jonathan came from Toronto or something it certainly wouldn't bother me in the slightest. In that way he'd have an adoptive connection. Or maybe the family lives there for a time or something, that wouldn't really bother me either. Yet at the same time the fact that the character is the global icon it is approaching the century mark is a huge continual shout out to both creators as it is.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El