Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 16.22%
  • No

31 83.78%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retired

Superman is Canadian. That's what he is to me. There are lots of Canadian content connections. Smallville has often been filmed in Canada--and Kansas is a retcon anyway. One thing they could do is establish that the Fortress of Solitude is in Canada. I always assume it is because the high north of North America is mostly Canadian territory. I have seen some maps that put it in Greenland or somewheres else, but Canada (Nunavut) makes the most sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Superman is Canadian. That's what he is to me. There are lots of Canadian content connections. Smallville has often been filmed in Canada--and Kansas is a retcon anyway. One thing they could do is establish that the Fortress of Solitude is in Canada. I always assume it is because the high north of North America is mostly Canadian territory. I have seen some maps that put it in Greenland or somewheres else, but Canada (Nunavut) makes the most sense to me.

I am Canadian

I'm a huge Superman collector.

I was born in Manitoba, but since 2009 I've lived in Victoria, on Vancouver island, BC.

If writers wanna make a character Canadian, most famously Logan, the Wolverine, thats dope...

As far as changing Superman origin story, I guess in an Elseworlds story would be interesting nice nod... as far as main continuity I can't see why a retcon like that is needed...

Though your idea for the Fortress of Solitude residing in Canadian territory is rather clever. Some interesting stories could be told with his interaction with the Prime Minister or Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I am Canadian

I'm a huge Superman collector.

I was born in Manitoba, but since 2009 I've lived in Victoria, on Vancouver island, BC.

If writers wanna make a character Canadian, most famously Logan, the Wolverine, thats dope...

As far as changing Superman origin story, I guess in an Elseworlds story would be interesting nice nod... as far as main continuity I can't see why a retcon like that is needed...

Though your idea for the Fortress of Solitude residing in Canadian territory is rather clever. Some interesting stories could be told with his interaction with the Prime Minister or Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2)
    I wouldn't recommend it. The British Superman Elseworld was too much of a joke for me.

That being said, I think the concepts of all the superheroes originating and being stationed in different countries is a fascinating concept. The problem is that I wouldn't just switch where Superman lives.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    As a Proud American, No, absolutely not!
    I'm with you!! Absolutely not!!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't understand the resistance . What's the big deal? The passing motorcyclist(Jonathan ) can be of any origin. He can be greek, Italian, chinese, indian, mexican... Etc. It wouldn't change anything. Clark would still be American and so will his earth father. Him being a Canadian jew, wouldn't matter. Why? His cultural ethos will be American and his religious background has always been irrelevant to him.

Retired

Well since he lives in the Fortress of Solitude some of the time, if the Fortress was located in Canada (or another country than the USA, for that matter), I imagine he would have to have some kind of visa or diplomatic status. Maybe its location would be unknown to the masses, but for top secret security (the PMO, DND), he'd have clearance with those high level Canadians.

I think Superman is a citizen of the world and he's not one nationality or another. He's either an international outlaw (which maybe he is when he first starts his career) or he is sanctioned by the UN and given license by most world powers to fly over their airspace. There was that whole kerfuffle about Supes giving up his American citizenship--which suggests to me that his citizenship is in question.

Clark Kent, on the other hand, is supposed to be an American citizen--he might actually be in the country illegally, but no one knows that--ICE isn't after him. CK votes in elections, SM doesn't.

One of my favourite what-if stories is "Super-Brother Against Super-Brother" in SUPERMAN 200 (October 1967). Long story short, Kal-El's brother, Knor-El, becomes Ken Clarkson alias Superman and lives in Metropolis--en même temps, Kal-El devient Charles LeBlanc et le super-héros, Hyperman, à Montréal, Au Québec.

1967, Canada's centennial year, was the greatest year of my life and having Kal-El become Canada's hero was icing on an already amazing birthday cake. I just feel cheated that the story of Hyperman was limited to two panels at the very end of that anniversary story. I always wanted to see what happened next, avec le Hyperman de Montréal.

Flat NO.

It turns out that you CAN go too meta.

Not everything that happened to Superman's creatives IRL needs or should be addressed in the character's narrative.

Let's just change Lara's full name from Lara Lor-Van to Lara Shust-Ar for Joe, like we did with Seyg-El for Jerry.

Superman is, was, and will always be an American icon first and a global icon next, and (looks at Canadian dollar bills) he definitely doesn't belong to any country that recognizes royalty as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Flat NO.

It turns out that you CAN go too meta.

Not everything that happened to Superman's creatives IRL needs or should be addressed in the character's narrative.

Let's just change Lara's full name from Lara Lor-Van to Lara Shust-Ar for Joe, like we did with Seyg-El for Jerry.

Superman is, was, and will always be an American icon first and a global icon next, and (looks at Canadian dollar bills) he definitely doesn't belong to any country that recognizes royalty as a good thing.
    Actually, clark kent persona was based on the experiences of those two creators. So, it wouldn't be much of a change. What i think op means is Jonathan having a Canadian origin.That's is'nt bad.

What would be the point though? A cheap throw-a-way line?

"Jonathon Kent Sr., despite being born in Canada, had now lived in Smallville, Kansas for 30+ years and had become an American citizen!"

An old, but very hand phrase comes to mind, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

"Jonathon Kent Sr., despite being born in Canada, had now lived in Smallville, Kansas for 30+ years and had become an American citizen!"

They need to develop pa and ma anyways. Flesh out pa's background and past. They do this kind of thing with alfred who was an intelligence agent. I am so done with ma and pa being used just for handing down Clark's morality on a silver platter and nothing else. Have pa be some kinda travelling photographer or sleuth, back in his day.I also think the motorcyclist origin for pa and clark meeting was way better. Have Jonathan and martha be actually not married when Jonathan finds clark. Theh were sortof in relationship. Lo and behold! Jonathan is a father and martha a mother.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-30-2020 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They need to develop pa and ma anyways. Flesh out pa's background and past. They do this kind of thing with alfred who was an intelligence agent. I am so done with ma and pa being used just for handing down Clark's morality on a silver platter and nothing else. Have pa be some kinda travelling photographer or sleuth, back in his day.
    Alfred half the time is the former agent, the other half he's just an old butler that became family.

So an alien sauser carrying a baby flew by the produce stand the other daaaaay.

Alfred half the time is the former agent, the other half he's just an old butler that became family.
    Yeah! Writers have the choice and more to work with. It beats ma and pa being there for some "thought for the day" nonsense. Them being actual characters with pasts, adventures and missteps is very much better.

Astonishing Member

It's just to honor Shuster who seems to get less credit than Siegel. He's a product of Canandian and American lineage

As for "if it aint broke, don't fix it" if that was the case wouldn't the Kent's still be dead?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory