Spidekick

Question What happens to the multiverse after Secret Wars?

I read the comic but I don't understand the end. What does TChalla do with the gauntlet after Reed Richards destroyed Battelworld and why do Miles and Peter end up meeting in the same universe. Does the multiverse still exist?

The Future Foundation restored the multiverse. 1610 wasn't originally meant to return, but Bendis ended up bringing it back in Spider-Men II and it's now being used by Saladin Ahmed in Miles's book. We can assume 1610 was one of the last worlds restored before the Fantastic Four came back.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

We're not exactly sure specifically what happened during Secret Wars, we do know that Dr Doom let go of the Beyonder power which caused battleworld to fade away, and T'Challa used either the reality stone or time stone to set the universe back to the first issue of New Avengers. Reed Richards had the Beyonder power and with the help of Franklin's abilities they began to recreate the multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    We're not exactly sure specifically what happened during Secret Wars, we do know that Dr Doom let go of the Beyonder power which caused battleworld to fade away, and T'Challa used either the reality stone or time stone to set the universe back to the first issue of New Avengers. Reed Richards had the Beyonder power and with the help of Franklin's abilities they began to recreate the multiverse.
    I think T’challa just used the Time Stone to travel back himself — I don’t think he did anything to the universe at large.

Doom didn’t “let go” of the Beyonder power; Molecule Man took it from him when he admitted he was too afraid of messing up to recreate the multiverse, and that he believed Reed could do it.

Then Reed used the Molecule Man’s power to save his family and the FF and recreated 616.

I thought Doom admitted Reed makes a better post-Secret Wars Earth than Battleworld, and that’s why Molecule Man transferred Beyonder power from Doom to Reed?

I didn’t think there ever was an Intergalactic Wakanda Empire. So I think Panther used a Reality Stone to make it so?

The Multiverse is like Digifiend outlined. Although all this talk about the 8th iteration of reality has me confused. This whole Annihilation sequence has happened 7 times already? I don’t know if that’s convenient for Marvel writers, or, it’s been introduced to add more dimension to canvas.
    Last edited by jackolover; 03-31-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I thought Doom admitted Reed makes a better post-Secret Wars Earth than Battleworld, and that’s why Molecule Man transferred Beyonder power from Doom to Reed?

I didn’t think there ever was an Intergalactic Wakanda Empire. So I think Panther used a Reality Stone to make it so?

The Multiverse is like Digifiend outlined. Although all this talk about the 8th iteration of reality has me confused. This whole Annihilation sequence has happened 7 times already? I don’t know if that’s convenient for Marvel writers, or, it’s been introduced to add more dimension to canvas.
    Yeah, the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda was foreshadowed at the end of Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman, then established in Marvel Legacy #1 by Jason Aaron and explored in more detail in Ta-Nehisi Coates's Black Panther run. To make a long story short, the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda is basically the flipside to Wakanda Prime's coin --- Wakanda if it'd chosen colonialist expansion over isolation, both rooted in the same core idea of Wakanda protecting itself and its people from its enemies.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Hickman was not setting up the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-ja...er-revelation/

The Empire idea was a Coates invention; he wouldn't come on to write the first volume of Black Panther until months later; it's first appearance, in Marvel Legacy #1, was a full year and a half later.

Now, maybe Coates was riffing on that moment Hickman wrote, I don't know either way.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Hickman was not setting up the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-legacy-ja...er-revelation/

The Empire idea was a Coates invention; he wouldn't come on to write the first volume of Black Panther until months later; it's first appearance, in Marvel Legacy #1, was a full year and a half later.

Now, maybe Coates was riffing on that moment Hickman wrote, I don't know either way.
    Thanks for the correction; I mixed up some things, obviously. My apologies for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda was foreshadowed at the end of Secret Wars by Jonathan Hickman, then established in Marvel Legacy #1 by Jason Aaron and explored in more detail in Ta-Nehisi Coates's Black Panther run. To make a long story short, the Intergalactic Empire of Wakanda is basically the flipside to Wakanda Prime's coin --- Wakanda if it'd chosen colonialist expansion over isolation, both rooted in the same core idea of Wakanda protecting itself and its people from its enemies.
    Okay, I saw H-E-D’s reply, and from what that reference was, I think Coates elaborated on the idea Hickman had of Wakanda teenagers discovering a solar system. This still sounds like an alternative universe to the 616 to me.

I think that the idea was to leave the multiverse aside and have a single universe with everything in it, but they changed their minds later on.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Although all this talk about the 8th iteration of reality has me confused. This whole Annihilation sequence has happened 7 times already?
    Take an orange and cut it into many slices. The orange represents a Cosmos as a whole. Now, label each slice, e.g., one is called 616, another 1610, another still 299616, and so on. The slices represent the numerous divergent/alternate realities. I hesitate to call them Alternate Earth Universes, because logic holds that it's quite possible for some of those divergences not to have an Earth at all. Oh, and keep in mind that each of those slices can also be further divided into more slices as things happen to affect the time stream, etc. With me so far?

Ok, now about the orange, I mean Cosmos.

Ewing established that there have been seven previous Cosmos. You are probably familiar with the origin of Galactus. He was originally a mortal scientist named Galan who was born in the 6th Cosmos. However, as the 6th Cosmos ended it bestowed its essence on Galan, who was remade as Galactus at the birth of the 7th Cosmos. Eternity/Infinity, Galactus and Death formed the three pillars of existence in the 7th Cosmos.

The 7th Cosmos is basically everything that we've been reading about up until the cosmos collapsed and was later restored by Reed, Molecule Man and Franklin Richards.

Reed, Owen and Franklin ultimately managed to create the 8th Cosmos. I totally get why this part is confusing, because the 8th Cosmos is for all practical purposes identical to the 7th Cosmos. Eternity still represents the sum of the cosmos. To make matters even more confusing, there are Lesser Eternities atop all of the various divergent realities that comprise the 8th cosmos. From a scientific theory standpoint, I get it, but Marvel isn't doing their casual cosmic fans any favors by making the structure so complex.

Finally, one last thing of note. It's a bit of a misnomer to use Cosmos and multiverse interchangeably. You see, the very first splitting of the orange didn't occur until the 2nd Cosmos. So while there have been 8 Cosmos, there have only been 7 multiverses. Clear as mud?
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 04-13-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Take an orange and cut it into many slices. The orange represents a Cosmos as a whole. Now, label each slice, e.g., one is called 616, another 1610, another still 299616, and so on. The slices represent the numerous divergent/alternate realities. I hesitate to call them Alternate Earth Universes, because logic holds that it's quite possible for some of those divergences not to have an Earth at all. Oh, and keep in mind that each of those slices can also be further divided into more slices as things happen to affect the time stream, etc. With me so far?

Ok, now about the orange, I mean Cosmos.

Ewing established that there have been seven previous Cosmos. You are probably familiar with the origin of Galactus. He was originally a mortal scientist named Galan who was born in the 6th Cosmos. However, as the 6th Cosmos ended it bestowed its essence on Galan, who was remade as Galactus at the birth of the 7th Cosmos. Eternity/Infinity, Galactus and Death formed the three pillars of existence in the 7th Cosmos.

The 7th Cosmos is basically everything that we've been reading about up until the cosmos collapsed and was later restored by Reed, Molecule Man and Franklin Richards.

Reed, Owen and Franklin ultimately managed to create the 8th Cosmos. I totally get why this part is confusing, because the 8th Cosmos is for all practical purposes identical to the 7th Cosmos. Eternity still represents the sum of the cosmos. To make matters even more confusing, there are Lesser Eternities atop all of the various divergent realities that comprise the 8th cosmos. From a scientific theory standpoint, I get it, but Marvel isn't doing their casual cosmic fans any favors by making the structure so complex.

Finally, one last thing of note. It's a bit of a misnomer to use Cosmos and multiverse interchangeably. You see, the very first splitting of the orange didn't occur until the 2nd Cosmos. So while there have been 8 Cosmos, there have only been 7 multiverses. Clear as mud?
    Clear enough, I suppose.