Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post

Furthermore, the "this is not Xavier" theory is as bad as the "these aren't the real X-Men", because there's literally no weight to the narrative if they are just other people pretending to be the characters.
    Yeah Xavier being a fake would be like if at the end of his Avengers run Hickman revealed that the incursions never actually existed and all the superpowered people in the galaxy were screwing themselves over nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    What I find funny is the way he has bulked up from the previous issue…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I would not call him devoid of substance, just that he´s not the focal character for Hickman right now but he Will be, or at least I hope so once Hickman is done doing the worldbuilding neccesary for the story, yes, he always has been warmhearted and hold onto his ideals, but even Claremont´s Xavier had a less generous side, just like all human beings, I think one of the best ways it was shown in comics was during those moments before Age of Apocalypse and Xavier on Claremont´s Excalibur.

I found nice that Claremont came back on a controversial episode of Charles Xavier's life… so many years later.

More than Charles Xavier's dark side, his conversation with Callisto shows his sense of responsability. As a leader, he certainly had to take difficult decisions.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

This doesn´t mean he didn´t manipulate the feelings of a person he had a child with who was also a patient under his care, because he feel lonely. Claremont just used a nicer context to talk about the topic but if this happened to be a new occurrence done by Xavier´s Hickman I could see some fans reacting in a more hostile way while it´s still the same action taken by the character even if done under different writers. Xavier´s hickman is a lot more closed off about what he thinks or what he does but hardly has done something akin to what Claremont Xavier confessed to doing.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-01-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    That wasn’t the point...

LOL...thats all you have to say about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Xavier has had his bad moments through the years but this isn't a single moment of him being a jerk it's become his default state. Prior to Krakoa he was a very warm and welcoming individual, there's a reason he's been compared to classic Picard from Star Trek. His idealism is unbreakable. He sees the best in everyone, occasionally we see a moment or two of this the he speaks but its much rarer and he's cold as ice. In too many panels he's the silent outsider, who keeps his own council. This is why people think he's not the "real" Xavier. If he is Moira turned him into a shell of his former self.

https://abload.de/image.php?img=13h9jxu.jpg
    Pretty sure that’s just because of Patrick Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    LOL...thats all you have to say about this?
    All right… all right.
    So… Charles Xavier has a dream.

It's still a big jump from 'happy to be free from Shadow King's grasp and finding the world in a very deteriorated situation' to 'I will be a benevolent dictator with my friend Magneto, my longtime enemies and my dear sheep of mutants in symbiosis with a mutant tropical island forgetting all the convictions for which I have fought all my life (pre-Shadow King).

He’s not a dictator - he’s a member of the quiet council with the same vote as any other.

All right… all right.
    So… Charles Xavier has a dream.

It's still a big jump from 'happy to be free from Shadow King's grasp and finding the world in a very deteriorated situation' to 'I will be a benevolent dictator with my friend Magneto, my longtime enemies and my dear sheep of mutants in symbiosis with a mutant tropical island forgetting all the convictions for which I have fought all my life (pre-Shadow King).
    Dictator implies that he has complete power. He doesn't. He is one of 12 seats at the table in governing the country.

Besides everything he had fought for in the past was built on lies and he failed everytime. He has a new dream and while this might fail as well, something needed to change and he's explored that. When he was creating this, the X-men and a good chunk of mutantkind were dead (Age of X-men) and even more were dying (Rosenberg's run), not to mention the vaccine that was eliminating new mutants. His back was to the wall and knowing that he had the oppurtunity to create Krakoa and bring back all those that had died....I dont see how he could not. He would have been fighting a losing battle had he not taken steps to bring people back and loop others into this new dream
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-01-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would not call him devoid of substance, just that he´s not the focal character for Hickman right now but he Will be, or at least I hope so once Hickman is done doing the worldbuilding neccesary for the story, yes, he always has been warmhearted and hold onto his ideals, but even Claremont´s Xavier had a less generous side, just like all human beings, I think one of the best ways it was shown in comics was during those moments before Age of Apocalypse and Xavier on Claremont´s Excalibur.

Wasn't there a backup story in Classic X-Men where Charles basically did the same thing to Lilandra across space? It was a weird Claremont retcon.

There is also the fact that at one point Charles was in love with Jean, which not even Claremont wanted to reference more than once.

Charlie's always been kind of a weird creep lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Wasn't there a backup story in Classic X-Men where Charles basically did the same thing to Lilandra across space? It was a weird Claremont retcon.

There is also the fact that at one point Charles was in love with Jean, which not even Claremont wanted to reference more than once.

who isn't??
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    As far as I know, Lilandra and him shared a mental link, similar to the one Jean and Scott shared, it allowed them to develop their romance even across the universe, they married and lived together on Chandrila during a time.

I think you are talking about Amelia Vogh, she was his nurse right after he lost the use of his legs for a while and they had a romance for a time, she´s also a mutant but didn´t share Xavier´s pov on mutant/human relations, she thought his approach was too passive and that in the end he would leave her for his dream so she decided to leave him first, the day she was going to leave he tried to use his Powers to make her stay but regretted it almost inmediately, she slapped him and leave and never came back. Later she would join Magneto´s acolytes. In this case he tried but regretted using his powers this way, it´s part of his characterization that he has to keep quite a strong handle on them,especially when he´s emotional, to keep himself from abusing his power.

Not really, that happened during the 60´s under Stan Lee pen and later never referenced again until Onslaught. he seemed to have feelings for Jean but never pursued them and after a while he forgot about them.

I disagree, I think it´s a drawback of his powers, he can´t express strong emotions openly without having an effect on the people around him so he has to be quite careful with them, just as Wolverine has to keep his savage side in check and Storm has to keep herself controlled to keep from making a mess of the climate around her.

From all this situations I think the one with Gabby is when he can be blamed, given it was not a moment of great emotion but a relationship he developed consciously with his patient.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-01-2020 at 02:52 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I disagree, I think it´s a drawback of his powers, he can´t express strong emotions openly without having an effect on the people around him so he has to be quite careful with them, just as Wolverine has to keep his savage side in check and Storm has to keep herself controlled to keep from making a mess of the climate around her.

From all this situations I think the one with Gabby is when he can be blamed, given it was not a moment of great emotion but a relationship he developed consciously with his patient.
    He's a telepath and one thats far skilled and experienced. He isnt like early teen Jean (or Dani) that couldnt control her powers effectively without influencing others. He doesnt get a pass from me