Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Errrr don't get the relevance

Lawd....

Welll when she resurrects people they come back without their soul.....so maybe......

Well thanks lemonpeace..... I'm surprised there's not more threads following this sorta speculation....
    'Is Rogue from the South?'
    'Is Nightcrawler REEEEEALY Blue?'
    etc
    But what does blue really mean ? Isn't blue a subjective concept ? Does blue mean the same to me as I does to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    we live in a post-truth/post-object reality world these days. people would rather construct narratives in their head to overwrite reality over facing anything they don't like or doesn't jive with what they wanna see.
    Reality? Which reality? Comics stories exist only when people reading them… with a good comic author, stories got stuck in your head when bad comics are quickly forgotten.

Reality is there when the comic is finished. No super-powers. No one is 'special', 'unique'… 'super-something'. No immortality: ageing and dying.

The X-men stories that got stuck in my mind are those resonating with my reality, not those catering my wishes.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel909 View Post
    But what does blue really mean ? Isn't blue a subjective concept ? Does blue mean the same to me as I does to you ?
    I guess we'll shoulD let this guy decide...
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Seven pages about who is under the cerebro despite the writer telling us its Professor X??
    If you remove the sarcastic/condescending a-hole behavior it probably slims down to about two pages.

Nothing wrong with speculation, folks. If you don't agree you don't have to be rude about it. There's plenty of threads out there, you don't have stick around ones where you feel your only option is to try and rub other people's noses in ****. Get along or go away.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

I think it is Professor Charles Xavier, who is perhaps displaying more unknown sides of his personality.....

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel909 View Post
    I think people tend to underestimate Xavier . Right from the beginning he was powerful , authoritarian , determined and ,I'm afraid , manipulative.

Just think back to x men number 2 , Nov 1963 . In that confrontation with Vanisher he is quite terrifying . It literally have me nightmares !

"Vanisher I give you one chance to surrender to me ! Otherwise I shall have to counter your power with a force which is far greater.... far more terrible !"

maybe someone might post the panels ?

Ops , mistaken about second panel but above quote is correct.
    I'm still stunned at the time Charles erased Beast's memory from the minds of every person he'd ever encountered, hell I didn't even think that was possible?!

But Charles has a special place in my heart always has, he's this complex character that has both the representation of being a saint and a devil. They're always competing against one another and exists evidence in abundance of both points, but honestly I thought it was an imposter at first. But what I hope Hickman's giving Xavier is another purpose and thankfully shedding him of the tired "Xavier is mostly evil" narrative of the last decade.

Which consisted of irreverence to the X-men and occupying an anachronistic role when he can be much more I hope we continue seeing Xavier readjust his dream to change in this new era.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 03-31-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Can we have a poll? I think having a poll could narrow down the possibilities.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

This person masquerading as Charles Xavier can only truly be one person...

Destiny!
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I think it is Professor Charles Xavier, who is perhaps displaying more unknown sides of his personality.....
    Could Xavier be inverted somehow? His traits have flipped considerably, post-Moira X.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think Xavier is a character that for the nature of his powers and personality has always been a pretty closed off person whose main defense mechanism has normally been pushing his less optimistic thoughts into his subconcious and be very secretive about things that bother him this of course has the consequence of him pushing so much stuff behind a placid all knowing smile that sooner or later he can´t deal with the pressure and explodes with all those darker thoughts. He needs to talk about the things that bother him but he always assumes the role of caretaker, not the other way around, and the consequence is that he doesn´t have a real confident, soneone to talk to, inside the X-men. Magneto more or less used to serve this role when they were in good terms but after HoM, Utopia, AvX, AoX etc he seems to see Magneto now as someone who yes, he can talk to about stuff, even keep Moira´s secret stuff but who also is in need of being taken care of like the rest of his X-men. I could be wrong and Hickman could in later issues show them talking and trusting each other but this is the current feeling I get from them.

My guess is the Xavier we are seeing currently is one who has decided he had enough of holding so many things back but also has become colder in his day to day interactions. JDW said something about him and Emma becoming pretty closed off ppl because then their powers could get out of control but I think this is only true of early 60´s and 70´s Charles and this current one, while the 80´s and 90´s and middle 2000´s Xavier was a little more warm hearted and this is creating that perception in some fans this is not Charles and just not getting his pov and his change in actitude and direction. I agree with this, Charles secretism is disturbing given how much more liberal he´s in using his powers imo, I don´t think we have seen yet his long term plan that yes, may aling with Moira´s but that could also have his own spin on things.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-01-2020 at 12:54 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    My guess is the Xavier we are seeing currently is one who has decided he had enough of holding so many things back but also has become colder in his day to day interactions. JDW said something about him and Emma becoming pretty closed off ppl because then their powers could get out of control but I think this is only true of early 60´s and 70´s Charles and this current one, while the 80´s and 90´s and middle 2000´s Xavier was a little more warm hearted and this is creating that perception in some fans this is not Charles and just not getting his pov and his change in actitude and direction. I agree with this, Charles secretism is disturbing given how much more liberal he´s in using his powers imo, I don´t think we have seen yet his long term plan that yes, may aling with Moira´s but that could also have his own spin on things.
    Xavier has had his bad moments through the years but this isn't a single moment of him being a jerk it's become his default state. Prior to Krakoa he was a very warm and welcoming individual, there's a reason he's been compared to classic Picard from Star Trek. His idealism is unbreakable. He sees the best in everyone, occasionally we see a moment or two of this the he speaks but its much rarer and he's cold as ice. In too many panels he's the silent outsider, who keeps his own council. This is why people think he's not the "real" Xavier. If he is Moira turned him into a shell of his former self.

https://abload.de/image.php?img=13h9jxu.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Xavier has had his bad moments through the years but this isn't a single moment of him being a jerk it's become his default state. Prior to Krakoa he was a very warm and welcoming individual, there's a reason he's been compared to classic Picard from Star Trek. His idealism is unbreakable. He sees the best in everyone, occasionally we see a moment or two of this the he speaks but its much rarer and he's cold as ice. In too many panels he's the silent outsider, who keeps his own council. This is why people think he's not the "real" Xavier. If he is Moira turned him into a shell of his former self.

What is Charles Xavier without his idealism?
    He is a telepath: he has been able to see the best and the worst of humanity since his childhood.
    Accusing him of naivety is a mock trial. He knows how people functions, how people can change through experiences.
    In a way, his tendancy to rationalize events has prevented him to be too much affected by unavoidable disappointements along the years.

All right, Hickman, he's Charles Xavier, but, devoided of his substance, what does it mean? No much anymore.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I would not call him devoid of substance, just that he´s not the focal character for Hickman right now but he Will be, or at least I hope so once Hickman is done doing the worldbuilding neccesary for the story, yes, he always has been warmhearted and hold onto his ideals, but even Claremont´s Xavier had a less generous side, just like all human beings, I think one of the best ways it was shown in comics was during those moments before Age of Apocalypse and Xavier on Claremont´s Excalibur.

"To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Could Xavier be inverted somehow? His traits have flipped considerably, post-Moira X.
    Inverted from what? The Xavier we are seeing seems very much in line with the character we've read prior to Hickman.

Not true. Prior to Krakoa he was a a-hole.

Again his last story before Hickman portrayed as borderline evil. This is a man that didnt care about the means as long as he got the job done. Murder was fair game as well as manipulating his students to kill for him and mindwiping them if they rebelled. Hickman's Xavier is alot more tame than this and more like his old self than he had been in recent years
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-01-2020 at 10:19 AM.

BANNED

You can't call Hickman out for ignoring Xavier's characterization if you yourself are ignoring the fact that less than a year prior to HoX/PoX it was already established that the millenia spent fighting Shadow King fundamentally changed Charles. and, like Havok83 said, he's being much less ruthless than when he came back in Astonishing X-Men.

Furthermore, the "this is not Xavier" theory is as bad as the "these aren't the real X-Men", because there's literally no weight to the narrative if they are just other people pretending to be the characters.