Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Just saying “no” to changes to the status quo doesn’t erase the fact that they’re there. And calling a retcon you don’t like “stupid” doesn’t denote anything critically wrong with it beyond your personal bias against it. Also what about the Five are “retcons”? Not everything is a retcon lmao.

The plot hole that there was only one human that was affected out of it being an only mutant-related illness??

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Just saying “no” to changes to the status quo doesn’t erase the fact that they’re there. And calling a retcon you don’t like “stupid” doesn’t denote anything critically wrong with it beyond your personal bias against it. Also what about the Five are “retcons”? Not everything is a retcon lmao.

The plot hole that there was only one human that was affected out of it being an only mutant-related illness??
    The "no" is to you.
    Goldballs' powers, Josh's powers, Proteus' behavior in general, changing the way their powers worked and altering their personalities to make this 5 nonsense happen was the retcon.

Its not really a plot hole to say a virus evolved or mutated. Grated its been awhile since I picked up the original Legacy Virus book but I could have sworn the Legacy Virus starting to effect humans was a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    The "no" is to you.
    Goldballs' powers, Josh's powers, Proteus' behavior in general, changing the way their powers worked and altering their personalities to make this 5 nonsense happen was the retcon.

Its not really a plot hole to say a virus evolved or mutated. Grated its been awhile since I picked up the original Legacy Virus book but I could have sworn the Legacy Virus starting to effect humans was a plot point.
    Oh, well the only thing you’re right about is Goldballs. Elixir’s always has mastery control over life and Proteus is unified with mutantkind (the same thing you tried to downplay is in effect here, that isn’t what a retcon is).

The virus mutating and only affecting one human is super unlikely.

Oh, well the only thing you’re right about is Goldballs. Elixir’s always has mastery control over life and Proteus is unified with mutantkind (the same thing you tried to downplay is in effect here, that isn’t what a retcon is).

Elixir has always been an omega level biokinetic. He's been getting slapped with the Stupid Changes stick since he showed up in Stabby-Force. Suddenly being no longer gold and linked to this weird collective is changing it for the worse. Being 'unified' is no excuse for the changes to his personality or how everyone else is acting generally off.

But it being the start of things, the first of many isn't.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02
    They are a weird crowd, what with being ok with 18/19 year old Peter Rasputin dating a 13 year old and Kurt banging his sister
    Kitty was supposed to have a crush on him, I donīt remember well but didnīt she date Pete Wisdom before Peter first? and I donīt have any idea how that happened with Kurt and his sister but I agree that was weird.

Slight quibble, but this one definitely was referenced by Claremont once. It was just after Jean became Phoenix and she was in the hospital, either issue 101 or 102. He thinks to himself that he thought he loved her at one time like he once loved Moira, but that was it. Like the rest of us, Claremont seemed to want to forget that ever happened

I agree, I only read the Onslaught one and my reaction was like, nope that didnīt happen I make my own canon, shut up marvel
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-01-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Retcons are good.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Retcons are good.
    No...Retcons in general are not good or bad.
    How they're done and individual ones are though.

Proteus has had a good explanation as to why he's stable now. It's also in line with the overall concept of Hellions: some mutations might make you a "villain".

Elixir not having a gold skin is literally not a big deal and it didn't change his powers. He's just being colored differently.

Mutankind has never been this united, so it's a new thing. Utopia was nowhere near this level of unity. We still Selene, Sinister, Apocalypse etc. stirring trouble in a form or another.

We also rarely had this level of cohesiveness among books, they're all so connected now.

Also, Hickman confirmed it and Xavier showed his face. He is Charles Xavier.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Mutankind has never been this united, so it's a new thing. Utopia was nowhere near this level of unity. We still Selene, Sinister, Apocalypse etc. stirring trouble in a form or another.

We also rarely had this level of cohesiveness among books, they're all so connected now.
    Agreed. However, the fact mutant kind has found unprecedented unity is not without its problematic aspects and the fact it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.

That's true, Hickman's done the impossible by coordinating the books. Something beyond even Grant Morrison.

Also, Hickman confirmed it and Xavier showed his face. He is Charles Xavier.
    What were his exact words?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    Elixir has always been an omega level biokinetic. He's been getting slapped with the Stupid Changes stick since he showed up in Stabby-Force. Suddenly being no longer gold and linked to this weird collective is changing it for the worse. Being 'unified' is no excuse for the changes to his personality or how everyone else is acting generally off.

But it being the start of things, the first of many isn't.
    What changes in his personality though? There hasn't been a book to explore his personality since this new era started?

Is understandable is X-Men wanted immunization to be easily digestible and easily processed by certain people who would have done that but instead opted for the route of the most storyline potential. And maybe some people don't like that but I will damn sure stand by his choice because the Exline was stuck in a stagnant stagnant Loop of previous glories

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Kitty was supposed to have a crush on him, I donīt remember well but didnīt she date Pete Wisdom before Peter first? and I donīt have any idea how that happened with Kurt and his sister but I agree that was weird.
    No she dated Peter first. There was that time during the Brood saga where she wished she was older so he could bang her before they died, and he wished she was older too. Then he later said to Wolverine he could marry Kitty in his home country but not America.

The Amanda thing is one of the dumbest things Claremont ever did, taking Kurt's civilian airline stewardess girlfriend and adding this unnecessary convoluted backstroy to her, and then never doing much at all with it.

Plus, let's be honest: Are there really enough people who give a crap about Goldballs do be upset at this retcon/change in powers?

This isn't a hill anyone should want to die on lol

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Agreed. However, the fact mutant kind has found unprecedented unity is not without its problematic aspects and the fact it's a ticking time bomb waiting to go off.
    A unity at the cost of an artificial result: people that shouldn't get along get along…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    You mustn't have read many X-men comics or other media with Xavier in it. He's made many horrible mistakes over the years but at heart he's not evil or uncaring.
    You must not have. Most stories from the past 15 years have dropped the pretense that Xavier is some sweet innocent old man and if you go back to stories prior, the new revelations shed light on some of his previous questionable actions. I used to be bamboozled by you but he's had a bit of a dark side to him for a long time. Thats what most people call a hypocrite

There's a large gap between being an a-hole and being a super-villain. Current Xavier is the latter.
    Do you honestly think he is more evil now than he was in that issue of AXM that I posted?

Incidents like this are the exceptions, not what defined Xavier, pre Krakoa. He's never been defined as the ends justifies the means, that's the other guy with the M on his helmet.
    Exceptions are things that happen once or very infrequently. What happened here wasnt an exception

1. Enslaves Danger in the DR and uses her against her will to train the X-men
    2. Uses TP to simulate training to the Lost X-Men, they get killed and he mindwipes Scott's memories of his brother
    3. Has sexual relationship with his mental patient, Gabrielle Haller, producing a baby, which was a form of rape
    4. Completely mindwipes Magneto, resulting in Onslaught
    5. Faked his death multiple times
    6. The Xavier Protocols. He methodically thought out how to murder each and every one of the X-men that he enrolled in his school
    7. He took in Beast and erased his existence from his entire family
    8. Used TP to manipulate Wolverine into joining the X-men as his weapon

There's alot more. One has to be naive to pretend as if Xavier doesnt have a shady past and this all started now with Hickman

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You must not have. Most stories from the past 15 years have dropped the pretense that Xavier is some sweet innocent old man and if you go back to stories prior, the new revelations shed light on some of his previous questionable actions. I used to be bamboozled by you but he's had a bit of a dark side to him for a long time. Thats what most people call a hypocrite

Do you honestly think he is more evil now than he was in that issue of AXM that I posted?

Exceptions are things that happen once or very infrequently. What happened here wasnt an exception

2. Uses TP to simulate training to the Lost X-Men, they get killed and he mindwipes Scott's memories of his brother
    3. Has sexual relationship with his mental patient, Gabrielle Haller, producing a baby, which was a form of rape
    6. The Xavier Protocols. He methodically thought out how to murder each and every one of the X-men that he enrolled in his school

There's alot more. One has to be naive to pretend as if Xavier doesnt have a shady past and this all started now with Hickman
    9. Owes at LEAST 18 years of back child support...and we talking about Co$mic dolla$$...
    smMUTHAFINGh
    Damn shame....
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Xavier is a man with high principals and while he's not innocent he has good intentions and ins't out there deliberately hurting people, and has shown remorse when he gets caught. I don't know what you're talking bout in the last sentence, maybe an edit is in order to be clearer? He has done bad things, but that isn't all he is. Many X-men have done shady things, they're still good people.

Yes.

1) Which was a dick move, and now she's on Krakoa. She did worse once she got unleashed and used sentinels to kill people.
    2) I didn't read that event, are you implying Xavier murdered the Lost X-men and covered it up?
    3) Agreed.
    4) That was a reaction to Magneto stripping Wolverine of his admantium right in front of him. Xavier went too far to punish him, but he's always been too soft on Eric. He regretted doing this once he learnt it created Onslaught.
    5) Considering who his enemies are, it's surprising more X-men aren't doing this.
    6) Theoretically specking the concept was sound, since the X-men aren't immune to mind control or turning evil. Apocalypse routinely recruited them for his Horsemen.
    7) What was the context?

Those incidents didn't define his character unlike now, which is what's occurring now. He wasn't doing this every week in the comic books, unlike now where his behaviour is to be a dick 24/7. Hickman amplified his bad traits, that's why I bought up the idea that he was inverted. His bad traits are all he is these days. Can't be in an argument without reading peoples mind and completely ok with Emma Frost mind wiping people while showing fake concern that it was wrong while smiling.

Xavier does have a shady past, no doubt. What he isn't is a super-villain, unlike now.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 04-02-2020 at 04:40 PM.