View Poll Results: You okay with Wallace West?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 43.56%
  • No

    13 12.87%
  • He can exist

    22 21.78%
  • I ignore him completely

    20 19.80%
  • Why are you saying Wally weird?

    2 1.98%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 135
  1. #106
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    If they weren’t in the future I’d argue that the tornado twins should be in Damian and Jon’s generation but I’ll take Jai and Iris. They work and Barry’s kids have always been odd anyway for being with the Legion of Superheroes, outside of the recent Young Justice season.

    Also now we have Aquaman’s daughter, she’s still a couple month year old baby but hey now we got son of Superman, Batman, the children of the Flash(Wally), and the daughter of Aquaman.
    I wonder when Hal's getting a baby
    Reading list: Far Sector (DC), Marauders (Marvel), X-Force (Marvel), X-Men (Marvel), Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Venom (Marvel), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Killadelphia (Image), Bitter Root (Image), Black Hammer: Age of Doom (Darkhorse)

  2. #107
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I wonder when Hal's getting a baby
    Considering how some people write him, Hal might very well have a kid already and not just know it.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  3. #108
    Astonishing Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I wonder when Hal's getting a baby
    I could see Hal’s kid being either half-alien, part willpower because remember Hal was made of willpower before recentering himself in Rebirth, or potentially a mix of green lantern energy and Star Sapphire energy(there’s hope maybe for Hal and Carol).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  4. #109
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You mean Avery. Toni Ho is a Marvel character, Rescue II/Iron Patriot III.

    Your second mention of Jesse should be Johnny, and wasn't Max Mercury Bart's mentor, not Jesse Quick? Jesse was a rookie hero herself, that's why she was on the Titans.
    I know that once Wally,Jay,Max,Jonny Quick trained together with Bart and Jesse.
    But it seemed that the training was concentrated to teach BART all what they know in a very short time.

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I would rather have jai and irey in damian and jon's generation than wallace. If i had to choose, wally's twins are actually much better concept than wallace west. He is generic. He is another kid flash.
    Yes-Iris was shown to have the speed-cocoons in future and she would be the first female speedster on her earth (Tornado Twins and XS arent born) AND I prefer them because of the relationship to Wally...

  5. #110
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I could see Hal’s kid being either half-alien, part willpower because remember Hal was made of willpower before recentering himself in Rebirth, or potentially a mix of green lantern energy and Star Sapphire energy(there’s hope maybe for Hal and Carol).
    So basically they'd be like Jade, or maybe they'd have the ability to became the contruct.
    Reading list: Far Sector (DC), Marauders (Marvel), X-Force (Marvel), X-Men (Marvel), Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Venom (Marvel), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Killadelphia (Image), Bitter Root (Image), Black Hammer: Age of Doom (Darkhorse)

  6. #111
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Considering how some people write him, Hal might very well have a kid already and not just know it.
    Oh yes, bring on the renegade alien child with Daddy issues.
    Reading list: Far Sector (DC), Marauders (Marvel), X-Force (Marvel), X-Men (Marvel), Miles Morales: Spider-Man (Marvel), Venom (Marvel), My Hero Academia (VIZ), Killadelphia (Image), Bitter Root (Image), Black Hammer: Age of Doom (Darkhorse)

  7. #112
    Astonishing Member sifighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    So basically they'd be like Jade, or maybe they'd have the ability to became the contruct.
    Yeah pretty much. Think of it this way, Hal Jordan has used and been a part of a lot of green lantern entities and has become the very energy he uses. If that doesnít do something to his kids I donít know what.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

  8. #113

    Default

    I thought he was alright but I didn't really care for him till his presence in Deathstroke.

  9. #114
    Fantastic Member Dr. Ellingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Port Wenn
    Posts
    366

    Default

    I've never ready comics-Wallace, but I like the version on the TV show. But like others have said, I think having both onstage is problematic. Wallace was intended to be a rebooted Wally, which was largely rejected by comic fans, so much so that Geoff Johns undid it (enough) to bring classic Wally back.

    At this point, the best-case scenario is to keep both versions - despite the plot gymnastics required to explain it all, and the general silliness of the situation. Sure, neither version will ever be "the" Wally West as long as it continues, which is what the most vocal fans will want. So yeah - nobody "wins". Wallace goes with the Teen Titans generation, and Wally goes with the semi-graduated Titans generation. Both mostly star in team books, where feasible.

    Is that enough for everyone?

    Doesn't matter - it might have to be. The only other option is to shuffle one of them off to an alternate reality. And I suspect that would be classic Wally; for "synergy", DC is likely going to keep Wally African American in non-comics media going forward.

  10. #115
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I've never ready comics-Wallace, but I like the version on the TV show.
    I know that thios will sound "off" to people who are too hung up on ethinicity, but TV Show Wally is mostly Wally, not Wallace. Now, that's mostly because TV people nailed "Wally" better than comics people, but still.


    But like others have said, I think having both onstage is problematic.
    Yeah, but it's also "traditional". Not like repeated names are a new thing on the Flash family.

    Wallace was intended to be a rebooted Wally, which was largely rejected by comic fans, so much so that Geoff Johns undid it (enough) to bring classic Wally back.
    For good reason. I like to think that despite the birthing pains, we gained a new character. So, you know, "yay!".

    At this point, the best-case scenario is to keep both versions - despite the plot gymnastics required to explain it all, and the general silliness of the situation. Sure, neither version will ever be "the" Wally West as long as it continues, which is what the most vocal fans will want.
    Yeah, I think you're wrong here. Wally is "the" Wally. Wallace is Wallace. At this point, there's no confusion about it among comic readers (which are the only relevant people for this particular discussion).

    So yeah - nobody "wins". Wallace goes with the Teen Titans generation, and Wally goes with the semi-graduated Titans generation. Both mostly star in team books, where feasible.

    Is that enough for everyone?

    Doesn't matter - it might have to be. The only other option is to shuffle one of them off to an alternate reality. And I suspect that would be classic Wally; for "synergy", DC is likely going to keep Wally African American in non-comics media going forward.
    There are many other options: changing either name or heroic identity for any of them, killing one, merging them, etc, etc. I don't like those options, but they do exist.

    That said, yeah, the TV show (barely, anymore) features a version that may be more easily read as Wallace, sure. But animation doesn't, ad there's way more OgWally than NuWally out there on it. I really doubt synergy is something that's gonna affect comics right now, anyway.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  11. #116
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I know that thios will sound "off" to people who are too hung up on ethinicity, but TV Show Wally is mostly Wally, not Wallace. Now, that's mostly because TV people nailed "Wally" better than comics people, but still.
    I haven't watched that show since like, season 3 or something, but this sounds right to me. CW Wally is black, and so is print Wallace, but the similarities largely seem to end there; CW Wally feels far more like print Wally than he does print Wallace. If that makes any sense.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #117
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    I know that thios will sound "off" to people who are too hung up on ethinicity, but TV Show Wally is mostly Wally, not Wallace.
    Isn't his background on the show closer to Wallace?

    Missing/dead mom playing an important role, growing up away from Iris (and the Wests?), taking part in illegal activities, motivated to do the hero thing to make up for past mistakes, and not getting along with Barry in the beginning? There's the interest in cars from Johns' run, but even that is more associated with Wallace these days.
    Last edited by Rend20; 04-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.

  13. #118
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta
    Posts
    4,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    Isn't his background on the show closer to Wallace?

    Missing/dead mom playing an important role, growing up away from Iris (and the Wests?), taking part in illegal activities, motivated to do the hero thing to make up for past mistakes, and not getting along with Barry in the beginning? There's the interest in cars from Johns' run, but even that is more associated with Wallace these days.
    It's really sort of it's own thing.

    The fact that he is Iris' brother, not nephew, eliminates Rudy (*or Daniel) from the equation, and the fact that he has a paternal figure that is pretty much the best person in the show sort of changes his dynamic with Barry to more of an an older brother.

    His motivation/eagerness to gain powers and be a hero is pretty much in line with the most common characterization of OgWally, so is his personality. The whole "illegal activities" bit is so different that it can't really be pointed to any comics version.

    At the end of the day, they forced Show Wally to a more "nightwing" dynamic, which they tried and failed to do in the comic (as they should! Comics Wally is the Flash, not Flashwing).

    Funnily enough, the interest in cars ended up going to Wallace in the comics.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

    To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

  14. #119
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    It's really sort of it's own thing.

    The fact that he is Iris' brother, not nephew, eliminates Rudy (*or Daniel) from the equation, and the fact that he has a paternal figure that is pretty much the best person in the show sort of changes his dynamic with Barry to more of an an older brother.

    His motivation/eagerness to gain powers and be a hero is pretty much in line with the most common characterization of OgWally, so is his personality. The whole "illegal activities" bit is so different that it can't really be pointed to any comics version.

    At the end of the day, they forced Show Wally to a more "nightwing" dynamic, which they tried and failed to do in the comic (as they should! Comics Wally is the Flash, not Flashwing).

    Funnily enough, the interest in cars ended up going to Wallace in the comics.
    Now TV Wally is basically Max Mercury .

  15. #120
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now TV Wally is basically Max Mercury .
    Zen master of speed?

    My, things have certainly changed on that show haven't they?

    Of course, Wally kind of low-key took that from Max by the end anyway I think. He learned what Max could teach and ended up being able to do stuff even Max couldn't (like actually enter the speed force and return to his own time).
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •