View Poll Results: You okay with Wallace West?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 43.14%
  • No

13 12.75%
  • He can exist

23 22.55%
  • I ignore him completely

20 19.61%
  • Why are you saying Wally weird?

2 1.96%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are people okay with Wallace West now?

I’m doing this 1. Because I’m bored and 2. After a few years I’m genuinely curious on the thought on this character. Sure people weren’t a fan of his in new 52, to say the least, because he was meant to replace the Wally we all know but since initial appearance and with Rebirth establishing him as someone else I’d like to think he’s had a chance to stand out.

I mean he’s been Kid Flash and Barry’s current sidekick for a little while now, he’s been in Teen Titans for a while, he was in the Deathstroke run, and he’s our new/only Flash in the DCeased comic series. The guys gotta have some people who like him right?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Now that he us his own character, yes.

Extraordinary Member

I never had a problem with him, but I was also pretty much new to reading DC with the New 52.

I ignore him. I have no interest whatsoever in that boring version of the real Wallace West.

I'm fine with him. Now.

His debut was....problematic, to say the least. But we're well past that now. Wally is back, Wallace has been allowed to grow into his own character, and he's no longer being written like a stereotype.

Well, he's written like a sidekick stereotype, but not a "angry black kid tagging walls and getting arrested" stereotype. I'm not going to buy a Wallace solo and he's not going to get me to buy a book just because he's in it, but I'm perfectly fine with him sidekicking for Barry and being a Teen Titan. He's a fine addition to the Flash family, even if he's not a "great" addition to it. I got no problems with the kid. Now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

he's fine, i wish he had more of a backbone and stopped falling in line with whatever awful thing damians up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I ignore him. I have no interest whatsoever in that boring version of the real Wallace West.
    That's my overall thought on him. I hated him back when he was not only supposed to replace Wally but seemingly become DC's answer to Miles Morales. But now? I just see no point in him. Making him his own character was a step in the right direction. But the character he's become is always either the most boring or the most unlikable member of whatever cast he's a part of. Good God, I wanted to punch him in the throat all through Rebirth's first Teen Titans run. He's improved since then but now he's just kinda....there. Nothing about him is special. Nothing about him makes me want to seek out stories with him in it. He's just not fun to read about at all.

And it makes me sad because I love seeing young black heroes in the spotlight. I love Static, Miles, Jakeem, Jackson, etc. I don't dislike Duke Thomas anymore thanks to Outsiders. And I hear Naomi is REALLY good. But Wallace? I'd be fine if he just...went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, which made it weird that he started hating on Barry again because of it, but what can you do (other then blame Barry).
    I'm not surprised. Misplaced anger kinda seems to be his thing. Look at how badly he messed up in TT and yet he felt like Damian owed him an apology for firing him.
    Last edited by Blue22; 03-30-2020 at 03:25 PM.

I'd rather he get his name changed officially to something else to avoid any possible connection to what he was in the New 52, or just erase the character completely. To me as long as he keeps the name he will never be able to escape the awfulness of what he was created for in the New 52. It is like a stench that won't go away as long as he has that name. Plus the idea of two characters in the same franchise basically having the same name who have occupied the same role is horrible for storytelling.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

He can exist, but I honestly think the character is superfluous.

He was created as a replacement for the OG Wally. No question.
    Problem was, there were a number of people who were VERY upset by this. (Me included)
    Once DC realised just how much of a cock up they'd made they changed his origin instead of simply removing him altogether.
    Doing this put the character behind the eight ball in terms of character building and it's taken literally years to get him to a point where he's now readable.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.