View Poll Results: You okay with Wallace West?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 43.14%
  • No

13 12.75%
  • He can exist

23 22.55%
  • I ignore him completely

20 19.61%
  • Why are you saying Wally weird?

2 1.96%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I probably dont have enough exposer to the character.

I own Rebirth Flash Vol 1-3 and this was where he made his debut.

I hated the similarity in name.
    He felt like a stereotype.

But honestly those first 3 volumes felt like trash and I stopped collecting them.

Though since ive begun recollecting for the sake of reading Flash wars... havent read yet tho so no idea where its going

As far as more black characters or diverse characters in general Im always for it.

Cant understand why they cant be more original with the origin and name tho, frankly he did not need to be related to wally either.

I selected he can exist.

Tho at this point his poor intro and presents caused me to stop collecting..

Hopefully as I dive back in my opinion will change.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yep, I begin to appreciate his character when Priest took a hold of him in deathstroke.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

With both Impulse and Wally back he just feels redundant and uneeded.

Since he became his own character, and not a cheap substitute of Wally West, yes. I'm fine with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    With both Impulse and Wally back he just feels redundant and uneeded.
    Unless one of them is going to become Kid Flash again, I don't think that's true.

keep him around and keep him prominent. Let Priest write him in a series.
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 03-31-2020 at 05:47 AM.

I hated him when he debuted, I felt he was a stereotypical take on a black sidekick and him being called Wally West felt like a slap in the face to the original Wally that I'd grown up with as the Flash who no longer existed in the New 52. Rebirth allowed writers to do a better job fleshing out Wallace's character, making him stand apart from the other members of the Flash Family and not making him a lazy stereotype. I have no strong feelings on Wallace, positive or negative, but he's been fixed enough that I don't bristle when I see him in an issue of Titans or Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm fine with him overall when he's not being unnecessarily hostile towards Barry or still nursing a chip on his shoulder. Without that he's a fun, optimistic, and promising young man who I like as Kid Flash.
    I've always wanted to like him, and I definitely do now, but I find myself falling in line with this line of thought. I feel like when they are mining for conflict for him (not so much under Priest on Deathstroke) he got pretty irritating sometimes when in the Flash title, less often than I thought in retrospect but it was definitely irritating. I feel like Deathstroke was the turning point for me and the character, and he's since become one of my favorite young black characters coming up at DC. I would love to see him growing in relevance.

I think Damian has more than proven he is not a good leader, i feel he's mainly leading the Teen Titans because he's Robin. Wallace should take the reigns as leader with Emiko as his right hand
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 03-30-2020 at 12:48 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm in the "he can exist" camp because they have worked out his problematic introduction, but I don't have a stake in the character. He's fine. He doesn't show up in much that I read so I don't have enough of a handle on him to have an informed opinion, but I don't know think he really hurts anything so there's no reason not to tell stories with him. Even the solution to him and OG Wally sharing a name worked out cleanly so, yeah, let him stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    In a complete turn around. Yes, I think he's a great character who could take over the mantle of the Flash if he increases in popularity. (You can't exactly have Wally West running around as Kid Flash anymore) Though his name needs to be changed!

Initially I resented him, because it was clear that DC was attempting to replace one of it's most popular characters (Wally West) as a way of bringing more diversity into the DC universe, which just breeds mass resentment amongst fans who "In this case literally" see their favourite hero they grew up with, obliterated from relevance in the DC universe. I know many Wally West fans who quite reading comics after that.

Unless a characters popularity is really floundering, or the new hero is more popular. I am completely opposed to replacement characters for any reason.In my time I have had almost all my favourite male heroes replaced.

Hal Jordan: Goes insane replaced
    Oliver Queen: blown up in a helicopter replaced
    Vic Sage: Dies of cancer replaced.
    Ted Kord: Brains blown out replaced
    Wally West: Erased from time replaced (Now a spectre character)
    Roy Harper (Murdered)
    Legion of Super Heroes (Rebooted so many times, I have no attachment)
    No one replaced Roy Harper.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one replaced Roy Harper.
    I am quite aware of that thank you.

He's fine. Priest probably wrote him best in Deathstroke.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    So, I'm okay with Wallace now. Since Wally came back he got to slowly develop into his own character and the worst parts of his origin are mostly glossed over. However, even though Willianson hinted at many changes, I still sustain that his origin arc needs to be retconned out and redone. Not only it doesn't do Wally any favors, it makes Barry look like an a-hole.
    Yeah, that definitely needs redoing - as the new origin would also involve the older Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Unless one of them is going to become Kid Flash again, I don't think that's true.
    Well, if Doomsday Clock is reliable, it's not Bart who becomes Kid Flash again, it's the OTHER Impulse. Irey West, who recently returned. Which does mean Wallace might need a new codename regardless.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I've always wanted to like him, and I definitely do now, but I find myself falling in line with this line of thought. I feel like when they are mining for conflict for him (not so much under Priest on Deathstroke) he got pretty irritating sometimes when in the Flash title, less often than I thought in retrospect but it was definitely irritating. I feel like Deathstroke was the turning point for me and the character, and he's since become one of my favorite young black characters coming up at DC. I would love to see him growing in relevance.
    Honestly I could do with a lot less "I'm cool with Barry" -> "Now I hate Barry" -> "Now I'm cool with Barry again" -> "Now I hate Barry again" rinse and repeat.

I don't read the Flash books and I'm not invested in the Flash family, so I don't have any real feeling towards him. Unless he's ever in some hugely popular Batman, Superman, or Wonder Woman story or some future classic JL story, that's not likely to change.