View Poll Results: You okay with Wallace West?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 43.14%
  • No

13 12.75%
  • He can exist

23 22.55%
  • I ignore him completely

20 19.61%
  • Why are you saying Wally weird?

2 1.96%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Are people okay with Wallace West now?

I’m doing this 1. Because I’m bored and 2. After a few years I’m genuinely curious on the thought on this character. Sure people weren’t a fan of his in new 52, to say the least, because he was meant to replace the Wally we all know but since initial appearance and with Rebirth establishing him as someone else I’d like to think he’s had a chance to stand out.

I mean he’s been Kid Flash and Barry’s current sidekick for a little while now, he’s been in Teen Titans for a while, he was in the Deathstroke run, and he’s our new/only Flash in the DCeased comic series. The guys gotta have some people who like him right?
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Now that he us his own character, yes.

Extraordinary Member

I never had a problem with him, but I was also pretty much new to reading DC with the New 52.

I ignore him. I have no interest whatsoever in that boring version of the real Wallace West.

I'm fine with him. Now.

His debut was....problematic, to say the least. But we're well past that now. Wally is back, Wallace has been allowed to grow into his own character, and he's no longer being written like a stereotype.

Well, he's written like a sidekick stereotype, but not a "angry black kid tagging walls and getting arrested" stereotype. I'm not going to buy a Wallace solo and he's not going to get me to buy a book just because he's in it, but I'm perfectly fine with him sidekicking for Barry and being a Teen Titan. He's a fine addition to the Flash family, even if he's not a "great" addition to it. I got no problems with the kid. Now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Spectacular Member

he's fine, i wish he had more of a backbone and stopped falling in line with whatever awful thing damians up to.

BANNED

The character goes against so many things that I believe in, stand for, and actually work very hard to...have an alternative to that I'll never be okay with him. Thus, on a fundamental level the character appalls me.

First of all, he's a...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

A BLACK MAN IN A WHITE MAN'S CLOTHES WITH A WHITE MAN'S NAME!!!\
    He is very literally that. No exaggeration there.

Then he's a race bent character, and even worse, he follows the incredibly disturbing trend of ginger erasure.

Then I believe he's just a bad character and he began as a laughable stereotype.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 03-30-2020 at 07:04 AM.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Right now, mostly.

When he debuted, the character offended me in 2 different levels:

As someone who is invented in Wally, I was pretty pissed that they made him an inexperienced 12 year old kid. That fundamentally removed everything meaningful about "Wally West".

But then, as a black person, I was way more pissed at the stereotypical characterization they chose to go with. The delinquent who was abandoned by his father and would be saved by the oh-so-wise white man who thought it was ok to show his police badge and then arm-lock a child (God, that page is disgusting). Thing is, this is all problematic in itself, but it could lead top a discussion about structural racism etc etc. However, since OgWally was nothing but a good kid and NuWally was a thug in the making, the whole origin jumped from "problematic" to "downright racist". It became a comment on black people, and that I could not deal with.

Now, with proper Wally back, both situations were somewhat improved. On the "Wally West" side, Wally was no longer stuck at the very bottom of the DC hierarchy. On the racial side, his origin ceased to be a commentary on "how a good kid would be bad if he was black".

So, I'm okay with Wallace now. Since Wally came back he got to slowly develop into his own character and the worst parts of his origin are mostly glossed over. However, even though Willianson hinted at many changes, I still sustain that his origin arc needs to be retconned out and redone. Not only it doesn't do Wally any favors, it makes Barry look like an a-hole.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

He's been much better since his debut
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm mostly indifferent towards him.

I feel that Iris having two nephews named Wally, who both get mentored by Barry Allen and wear the Kid Flash costume is incredibly stupid. Wally already struggles enough sharing space with Barry, he really does not need a younger version of himself (except black) also running around simultaneously.

I'm fine with him overall when he's not being unnecessarily hostile towards Barry or still nursing a chip on his shoulder. Without that he's a fun, optimistic, and promising young man who I like as Kid Flash.

I’ve been fine with him since Rebirth. I feel like Willamson and Priest have revamped him enough that he can stand apart from Wally.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Before, I saw him as an awfully conceived racial stereotype and a walking talking symbol of disrespect to OG Wally, his fans, and the Flash legacy.

Now, I just see him as a kind of useless character. I'm behind on my Flash reading and don't read TT, but nothing about his character really grips me. He's just a sidekick who occasionally gets mad that Barry and "the adults" lie to him, but there's just nothing too unique there. So I mostly ignore him.

BANNED

I did not even mention how weird and confusing the character is. There are just so many problems with him, from my perspective, that he's nothing more than a giant problem. Two Wally Wests running around, except one is black and one is white? That's not a good idea by any means.

Mighty Member

In a complete turn around. Yes, I think he's a great character who could take over the mantle of the Flash if he increases in popularity. (You can't exactly have Wally West running around as Kid Flash anymore) Though his name needs to be changed!

Initially I resented him, because it was clear that DC was attempting to replace one of it's most popular characters (Wally West) as a way of bringing more diversity into the DC universe, which just breeds mass resentment amongst fans who "In this case literally" see their favourite hero they grew up with, obliterated from relevance in the DC universe. I know many Wally West fans who quite reading comics after that.

Unless a characters popularity is really floundering, or the new hero is more popular. I am completely opposed to replacement characters for any reason.In my time I have had almost all my favourite male heroes replaced.

Hal Jordan: Goes insane replaced
    Oliver Queen: blown up in a helicopter replaced
    Vic Sage: Dies of cancer replaced.
    Ted Kord: Brains blown out replaced
    Wally West: Erased from time replaced (Now a spectre character)
    Roy Harper (Murdered)
    Legion of Super Heroes (Rebooted so many times, I have no attachment)