View Poll Results: You okay with Wallace West?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

44 43.14%
  • No

13 12.75%
  • He can exist

23 22.55%
  • I ignore him completely

20 19.61%
  • Why are you saying Wally weird?

2 1.96%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Zen master of speed?

My, things have certainly changed on that show haven't they?

Of course, Wally kind of low-key took that from Max by the end anyway I think. He learned what Max could teach and ended up being able to do stuff even Max couldn't (like actually enter the speed force and return to his own time).
    Yeah, basically.

I really never had anything against Wallace, but I did like when they shifted from calling him Wally to Wallace, it made him a more distinct character.

The one thing I have against his character is HOW HIGH HE WEARS HIS PANTS!!!!
    Does anyone remember those old TV Land ads “the pants that ate Fred Mertz”?
    Yeah, that’s all I can think of every time I see his waistline up around his neckline.
    Boo for that artistic choice! 😳

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    I really never had anything against Wallace, but I did like when they shifted from calling him Wally to Wallace, it made him a more distinct character.

The one thing I have against his character is HOW HIGH HE WEARS HIS PANTS!!!!
    Does anyone remember those old TV Land ads “the pants that ate Fred Mertz”?
    Yeah, that’s all I can think of every time I see his waistline up around his neckline.
    Boo for that artistic choice! ��
    LOL! Glad someone else noticed the absurdity with that. Looks that way only in T.T with, B. Chang's art. Most of it is fine but whenever he draws, Wallace... well....

kf.jpg
    kf2.jpg
    kf3.jpg

Screw it, I'd turn that into a character quirk. He likes his pants high. I'd be telling my artists to draw him in high waist jeans.

Scoff if you want, but that's the weird kind of detail that makes a character come alive. Or it's just a sight gag. You decide!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Yeah, I think you're wrong here. Wally is "the" Wally. Wallace is Wallace. At this point, there's no confusion about it among comic readers (which are the only relevant people for this particular discussion).
    Absolutely true, within the comics audience. The reason I said it's a good idea for the current status quo to remain is because of other media.

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    There are many other options: changing either name or heroic identity for any of them, killing one, merging them, etc, etc. I don't like those options, but they do exist.

That said, yeah, the TV show (barely, anymore) features a version that may be more easily read as Wallace, sure. But animation doesn't, ad there's way more OgWally than NuWally out there on it. I really doubt synergy is something that's gonna affect comics right now, anyway.
    We're in the speculation realm here, but I know this:

1. TV/movie executives get engaged by simplicity. Looking at a successful TV series, they see an African American Iris West, and that will their model. Witness - when they were casting for Justice League and the Flash film, they hired an African American actress - Kiersey Clemons. Assuming that pattern leads to a film series and expanding cast, it also leads to...

2. Wally will be African American in live action as well. And likely, Iris' brother instead of a nephew, in line with the TV series.

And that's why the current comics status quo is better in my eyes - nobody needs to gets shoved out of the way because of "synergy".

Screw it, I'd turn that into a character quirk. He likes his pants high. I'd be telling my artists to draw him in high waist jeans.

Scoff if you want, but that's the weird kind of detail that makes a character come alive. Or it's just a sight gag. You decide!
    I think it would be fun to imagine that it’s the whole speed force can make clothes trick but Wallace doesn’t have it fully under control so he keeps screwing up the waist of his pants but he’s too embarrassed to tell anyone.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Zen master of speed?

My, things have certainly changed on that show haven't they?

Of course, Wally kind of low-key took that from Max by the end anyway I think. He learned what Max could teach and ended up being able to do stuff even Max couldn't (like actually enter the speed force and return to his own time).
    Wait, that sounds like Bart. Is TV Wally a composite character then? A combination of Wally, Wallace and Bart (in short - all of the Kid Flashes)?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I've never liked him: imho he is annoying. But I get that someone likes him, so he can exist, while I keep ignoring him.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wait, that sounds like Bart. Is TV Wally a composite character then? A combination of Wally, Wallace and Bart (in short - all of the Kid Flashes)?
    At this point CW characters are kind of their own thing that take inspiration from the comics. I mean he doesn’t even have either Wally origin, he became Kid Flash because he was Flash in the Flashpoint universe and the universe made him a flash again after that.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Which part of it sounds like Bart?

Fantastic Member

I have been reading Teen Titans since Percy's run and now Glass' run and I feel like the character is just there. He really adds nothing to the overall plotlines at the moment. Even the newer characters like Djinn, Crush and Roundhouse have done more to effect the plot of the books more than he does. Which is really sad this character has existed since the new 52 and I feel like no writer has done anything of importance with him. As one of the few young African American characters at the front of DC comics current generation of young heroes this makes me really sad he should have more development. At this point it's really unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if the character was just removed at some point because DC writers are not giving fans a reason to care.

Spectacular Member Grandmaster_J's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shadow6743 View Post
    I have been reading Teen Titans since Percy's run and now Glass' run and I feel like the character is just there. He really adds nothing to the overall plotlines at the moment. Even the newer characters like Djinn, Crush and Roundhouse have done more to effect the plot of the books more than he does. Which is really sad this character has existed since the new 52 and I feel like no writer has done anything of importance with him. As one of the few young African American characters at the front of DC comics current generation of young heroes this makes me really sad he should have more development. At this point it's really unacceptable. I wouldn't be surprised if the character was just removed at some point because DC writers are not giving fans a reason to care.
    The biggest thing he did during Percy's run was helping Deathstroke steal his speed, then pulling him out of the speed force, understandably being fired and joining Defiance. Glass' run, it's too busy telling the same repeating Damian angles, and lots of focus on the newbies which I get since their new. Wallace is just there to complain and point out every flaw in their group while doing nothing about it. Agreed it's sad, and even when this current story arc with Djinn is over, it's going into another Damian centric one. So, there's little hope he ever gets a major character arc at this point.

I'd love if they brought back Daniel West and center a 3 issue or so story around that since ever writer has him fearing becoming his dad. You can trade in all the repeating Damian crossing the line stories and replace em with, Wallace. That to me would be pretty epic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grandmaster_J View Post
    The biggest thing he did during Percy's run was helping Deathstroke steal his speed, then pulling him out of the speed force, understandably being fired and joining Defiance. Glass' run, it's too busy telling the same repeating Damian angles, and lots of focus on the newbies which I get since their new. Wallace is just there to complain and point out every flaw in their group while doing nothing about it. Agreed it's sad, and even when this current story arc with Djinn is over, it's going into another Damian centric one. So, there's little hope he ever gets a major character arc at this point.

I'd love if they brought back Daniel West and center a 3 issue or so story around that since ever writer has him fearing becoming his dad. You can trade in all the repeating Damian crossing the line stories and replace em with, Wallace. That to me would be pretty epic.
    His writing is strange. They clearly set him up to be the mortal centre of the team but at the same time they don't have him taking actions to be the mortally of the team. If you were to remove him and Roundhouse from the book at some point and replace them it wouldn't be a huge loss.Both are kind of just existing to makeup a full team roster. At least Emiko gets moments when we see what's she is thinking and we can understand deeper aspects of her character. Wallace West is what you see is what you get nothing deeper at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which part of it sounds like Bart?
    Time/dimensional travel and connection to Max Mercury.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Never had a problem with him really,mostly because I started reading comics in 2007 and Wally was at the end of his run so I never was invested in him.