All-New Member

Default Why is Arkham Asylum overlooked these days?

When discussing the best Batman stories, it seems like Arkham Asylum is hardly mentioned these days. Instead, everyone talks about The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, Year One, or The Killing Joke. While these are all great stories, Arkham Asylum is easily as good (or better) than all of them.

Arkham Asylum is exceptionally well written with amazing atmosphere and fantastic artwork. Yes, it’s creepy and disturbing, but I happen to like really those elements.

What do you all think of Arkham Asylum?
    Last edited by Viper2; 03-30-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I have caught myself forgetting about that one recently when listing great Batman stories. It's been a while since I read it. Maybe it's because the atmosphere and art lend more to the experience than the plot, though that doesn't make it any less great. It's excellent and deserves a spot with those other classics.

Eh, somehow I find the story...confusing. When I first read it I asked, "What happened?" Kind of a jumbled mess there in the middle. Then I realized Grant Morrison wrote it and I figured out his work is just confusing and too muddled for me. The artwork is great, but the writing isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
    When discussing the best Batman stories, it seems like Arkham Asylum is hardly mentioned these days. Instead, everyone talks about The Dark Knight Returns, The Long Halloween, Year One, or The Killing Joke. While these are all great stories, Arkham Asylum is easy as good (or better) than all of them.

Arkham Asylum is exceptionally well written with amazing atmosphere and fantastic artwork. Yes, it’s creepy and disturbing, but I happen to like really those elements.

What do you all think of Arkham Asylum?
    The real reason, is now people like simplistic stories. I find that sad. Because Arkham Asylum , or to be precise, Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth, is probably one of the greatest and most unique comics ever to have been written.

As a side note, there is another Arkham Asylym, it is called, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, you ought to read that one too.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

The art puts me off. I can't read that thing. Same reason I never read Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    The art puts me off. I can't read that thing. Same reason I never read Sandman
    Have you just seen previews or have you actually tried reading it ? Looks can be deceptive you know ! It's an intence story taking place in Arkham during a riot lead by the Joker in which Batman/Bruce loosing his mind amongs all those crazies.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Have you just seen previews or have you actually tried reading it ? Looks can be deceptive you know ! It's an intence story taking place in Arkham during a riot lead by the Joker in which Batman/Bruce loosing his mind amongs all those crazies.
    I have a 1st printing Hardcover and read it twice. Just not my thing. Also not a fan of Morrison's Gothic but I love his 2000s run dearly.