Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    And they tend to get their teeth kicked in much more then anyone else. Goblin would have been dead now if not for Flash, Brock is only alive because Peters merciful and Ock found out but then had a face turn.
    And thanks to Mephisto, Ock reverted to his former self without any lingering memories or influence from Peter, so he probably doesn't remember anymore that Peter is Spider-Man. (Still somewhat bitter, by the way.) As for Osborn, he also owes his continued wretched existence to Peter's incredible sense of mercy, as Jonah was ready to pop all the caps in Osborn and it was Peter taking the bullet that stopped Jonah. Brock had a face turn as well and he and the symbiote are trying their best to be better, though even at his canonical worst, he wouldn't actually hurt Mary Jane or Aunt May, just put a good scare in MJ and play house with Aunt May; if he did actually threaten or try to kill them . . . well, Renew Your Vows showed exactly what would happen in that case. Speaking of, you know who else found out the hard way not to f*** with Spider-Man's loved ones? The Kingpin. Beaten half to death in front of a bunch of criminals in the prison Fisk thought he was running, and if not for Mephisto's intervention, Peter would have come back to finish the job.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I wish they'd just kept it public after Civil War. Secret identities are kind of ridiculous and unnecessary. I am currently reading Uncanny Avengers and I rolled my eyes when Spider-Man says he is "Peter Parker's Bodyguard"

That excuse deserves an eye roll, considering he was ripping off Tony Stark, who used the same excuse in the silver age.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by FreshGuy View Post
    I wish they'd just kept it public after Civil War. Secret identities are kind of ridiculous and unnecessary. I am currently reading Uncanny Avengers and I rolled my eyes when Spider-Man says he is "Peter Parker's Bodyguard"
    I think what's really ridiculous and unnecessary about secret identities is the metaphorical knots superheroes will twist themselves into in order to hide their costumed identities from their friends, families, and/or other loved ones. I don't mind total strangers or the general public not knowing who a superhero is behind the mask, the less people who know, the less chance of a supervillain obtaining and using that knowledge to attack a superhero through his or her loved ones, whether they also know or not. However, the people that superheroes are close to deserve better than to be constantly deceived, if not even gaslighted, by someone they consider a friend, a family member, or otherwise dear and important to them, especially given that if a supervillain finds out about the superhero's double identity, their lives are at risk regardless of whether or not the superhero confesses the truth to them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I think what's really ridiculous and unnecessary about secret identities is the metaphorical knots superheroes will twist themselves into in order to hide their costumed identities from their friends, families, and/or other loved ones. I don't mind total strangers or the general public not knowing who a superhero is behind the mask, the less people who know, the less chance of a supervillain obtaining and using that knowledge to attack a superhero through his or her loved ones, whether they also know or not. However, the people that superheroes are close to deserve better than to be constantly deceived, if not even gaslighted, by someone they consider a friend, a family member, or otherwise dear and important to them, especially given that if a supervillain finds out about the superhero's double identity, their lives are at risk regardless of whether or not the superhero confesses the truth to them.
    You are really missing a key point about Peter Parker. The “Great Responsibility” part. He is very reluctant to be Spider-Man. It has caused him misery down through the years ( Starting with Amazing Fantasy 15). But he does the job ( and it is very much a job for him). Does anyone think he enjoys lying to people ( especially Aunt May)? Of course not. Because of this conflict, I have always considered Spider-Man Requiem to be one of the most brilliant Spider-Man stories of them all, because this is the theme of it. Think about it, Peter being radioactive and intimate with MJ killed her, but there is still is a need for Spider-Man, so Peter must put on the costume again ( even though he does not want to), and he will do it until he can be reunited with her in death. This has also been explored by Spencer with the splitting of Peter and Spider-Man, and the understanding by MJ that guess what? There is a need for Spider-Man. Can it end for Peter? Yes death or Miles taking over, but not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    You are really missing a key point about Peter Parker. The “Great Responsibility” part. He is very reluctant to be Spider-Man. It has caused him misery down through the years ( Starting with Amazing Fantasy 15). But he does the job ( and it is very much a job for him). Does anyone think he enjoys lying to people ( especially Aunt May)? Of course not. Because of this conflict, I have always considered Spider-Man Requiem to be one of the most brilliant Spider-Man stories of them all, because this is the theme of it. Think about it, Peter being radioactive and intimate with MJ killed her, but there is still is a need for Spider-Man, so Peter must put on the costume again ( even though he does not want to), and he will do it until he can be reunited with her in death. This has also been explored by Spencer with the splitting of Peter and Spider-Man, and the understanding by MJ that guess what? There is a need for Spider-Man. Can it end for Peter? Yes death or Miles taking over, but not yet.
    Fair enough, but when does that become a self-imposed psychological and emotional burden? Of the people close to him that knew, they had to figure it out for themselves; hell, when Aunt May found out, what she was really taken aback by wasn't him being Spider-Man, but his assumption that she wouldn't be able to handle it, when she'd already lived through and survived Uncle Ben's death, which she actually blamed herself for as much as Peter blamed it on himself. In fact, by the end of that issue, Peter found himself reflecting that Aunt May knowing the truth freed him from the burden of "having" to lie to her all the time, which was what I was trying to address. No one here is stupid enough to say that Peter being Spider-Man isn't a net good or a necessity, but at the same time, it wouldn't be so bad if he could bring himself to confide in those he cares about and who care about him in turn.

too many people know again. way too many. Too many writers think it's cute to accidentally reveal it. I'm already not on board with Jonah knowing again. it will backfire eventually.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    too many people know again. way too many. Too many writers think it's cute to accidentally reveal it. I'm already not on board with Jonah knowing again. it will backfire eventually.
    It was frustrating when, after all the effort the Amazing Spider-Man team went to in restoring his secret ID, the Avengers office had him reveal his identity to the random assortment of characters who just happened to be on the Avengers that month.

It's all so short-sighted.

I hated it when Aunt May knew, and I hate that Jonah now knows. It breaks the characters, it breaks the conflicts, it breaks the dichotomy the entire series is built upon.