Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TraneTrax View Post
    From https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-new-muta...s-a-1844806878
    "io9: We’ve got to talk about the criticisms that have been leveled against the film for casting Henry Zaga to play Roberto, a character who’s Afro-Brazilian in the comics, originally read as Black, and whose origins do touch upon anti-Black racism in Brazil. I suppose my first question’s: do you get where that criticism came from?

Boone: You won’t have any argument from me. It’s like my thing was my goal was to cast a real Brazilian and I saw 300 of myself black, brown, lighter-skinned. I saw every shade of the sun. It was the same case with Blu Hunt. It’s like we looked at 300 Native American people and people very close ties to the Native American community. My goal was to find the best actor who, because they’ve done so little work, was at least the closest to kind of what I saw in my head for the character. There was nobody who hold a candle to Henry. It’s like maybe if Henry didn’t exist, I would have found somebody who was darker skinned who exemplified what I needed. But it was never about the color of their skin for me.

io9: Did that just not fit into your vision for Roberto’s story in the film?

Boone: I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned. To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seems like he could look like a guy who’s had the silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and [Henry] just exemplified all these things.

Henry’s such a dedicated performer and you can see it in her performance on The Stand where he’s playing someone who can neither speak nor hear, and he put so much time into learning sign language and spending time learning from deaf people was just great. He’s a beyond reproach human being, and I sort of defy anybody who wants to say that Henry’s not a good Roberto simply because he’s lighter-skinned."

I am livid.
    Isn't it funny how skin color does not matter whenever someone is white cast or light-skinned casted. Wow but they had no problem casting rolls with actors that look like Illyanna, Wolfsbane, Dani, etc. And it happened with both Bobby and Cecilia!! I guess skin color does not matter when it comes to casting dark skinned heroes. SMDH

I've read the exact same argument as Boone's with Domino.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

"io9: We’ve got to talk about the criticisms that have been leveled against the film for casting Henry Zaga to play Roberto, a character who’s Afro-Brazilian in the comics, originally read as Black, and whose origins do touch upon anti-Black racism in Brazil. I suppose my first question’s: do you get where that criticism came from?

Boone: You won’t have any argument from me. It’s like my thing was my goal was to cast a real Brazilian and I saw 300 of myself black, brown, lighter-skinned. I saw every shade of the sun. It was the same case with Blu Hunt. It’s like we looked at 300 Native American people and people very close ties to the Native American community. My goal was to find the best actor who, because they’ve done so little work, was at least the closest to kind of what I saw in my head for the character. There was nobody who hold a candle to Henry. It’s like maybe if Henry didn’t exist, I would have found somebody who was darker skinned who exemplified what I needed. But it was never about the color of their skin for me.

Boone: I didn’t care so much about the racism I’ve heard about in Brazil, about light-skinned versus dark-skinned. To me, it was I wanted to represent Brazil in a positive way and I wanted to find somebody who seems like he could look like a guy who’s had the silver spoon in his mouth, who has like a really rich dad and [Henry] just exemplified all these things.

Henry’s such a dedicated performer and you can see it in her performance on The Stand where he’s playing someone who can neither speak nor hear, and he put so much time into learning sign language and spending time learning from deaf people was just great. He’s a beyond reproach human being, and I sort of defy anybody who wants to say that Henry’s not a good Roberto simply because he’s lighter-skinned."

I am livid.
    I just read this and Im cringing at this. So he couldnt envision a black actor playing a role that came from a rich family? I cant beleive the gall of him dismissing racisim to defend his casting choice. He shouldnt have said anything. Im livid too

so much wrong with what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    wildly different contexts

Wow this director...

Once again a director who totally missed the point of X-Men, it's social justice metaphor, and minority oppression themes. The whoosh sound is overpowering.

Why is someone like this directing New Mutants?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    so much wrong with what he said.

wildly different contexts
    People always forget context and power relationships .. things change when power is understood.

Ultimate Member

I am livid.
    That is offensive.

So dark skinned folks can't look like rich kids??? I must be watching the wrong movies and shows on Netflix.

Comments like that will have you with a box office bomb.

Wow Boone outta be ashamed
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

Trash, looking forward to seeing this project fail & underperform

stormshade.jpg

Boone been canceled since the casting was revealed years ago, but this "explanation" has only made it worse.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    stormshade.jpg

Boone been canceled since the casting was revealed years ago, but this "explanation" has only made it worse.
    Exactly. I was really looking forward to this movie before they announced the cast and then they ruined it. Hope Boone gets dragged and I hope this movie bombs. Sorry not sorry.

Mighty Member

Yeah I love the New Mutants and grew up reading them but F*** this movie! Those two casting choices are not a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    whats Domino's race in the comics?
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    whats Domino's race in the comics?
    Exactly!! I am not an avid Domino fan and have never seen her origin in comics but she is literally white as snow. I know her name is Neena Thurman but I do not know specifics.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is offensive.

So dark skinned folks can't look like rich kids??? I must be watching the wrong movies and shows on Netflix.

Comments like that will have you with a box office bomb.
    Not necessarily. Well if it is a shared viewpoint then the message it is sending doesn't affect that many ppl - not that many ppl will care.