Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Why are is this even be debated? Roberto is biracial. He has a Black father and a White mother.

Anyway this is what Bob McLeod, the artist that created the original New Mutants team, thought about the Sunspot casting:

Meanwhile, McLeod revealed he also had an issue with the film's depiction of Roberto da Costa/Sunspot. "But mainly I was very disappointed that Roberto isn't short and dark-skinned," he said. "Yet another example of Hollywood white-washing. There's just no excuse." The artist ended his post by stating, "I think I'm done with this movie."

Me too Bob. Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Why are is this even be debated? Roberto is biracial. He has a Black father and a White mother.
    Sure let me tell you why in the most respectful manner. Roberto being biracial was established earlier and we were discussing if dark Brazilians were black. Hahaha but since being ignorant is such a common theme around CBR forums, you made this off adrift comment. But right, like you said, "anyways".
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 08-28-2020 at 04:23 PM. Reason: I suck at proof reading
    "I swear to god, if I get banned..."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AtheistInRed View Post
    So he is like, biracial? Unless both of his parents are black. Ok cool.
    Sure let me tell you why in the most respectful manner. Roberto being biracial was established earlier and we were discussing if dark Brazilians were black. Hahaha but since being ignorant is such a common theme around CBR forums, you made this off adrift comment. But right, like you said, "anyways".

Last edited by Micabe; 08-28-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Hm?^ It would help if you were more precise. EDIT: Nevermind.
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 08-28-2020 at 05:02 PM.

BANNED

Precise? Okay, who in those three pages would be deemed to be visually black and who would be deemed to be visually biracial?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Precise? Okay, who in those three pages would be deemed to be visually black and who would be deemed to be visually biracial?
    To be honest...Sunspot always seemed like a non-black Latino to me until today. You would have to tell me he is black for me to know that. That's all. Personally, race and culture is difficult to understand in South America.

To be honest...Sunspot always seemed like a non-black Latino to me until today. You would have to tell me he is black for me to know that. That's all. Personally, race and culture is difficult to understand in South America.
    Do you mean his later appearances? If so, that's sadly due to whitewashing.

Because I think in his early appearances it was much more apparent, even if you ignore his creator literally telling us he was biracial with more prominent black features (with his teammates being racists) in his origin.

Incredible Member

I am South American aswell, he is black, he was punched in the face in his first appearence because he was black.

Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification guys. My bad if I came off as a little impolite with my questions, perhaps I should have been a bit more delicate. Sunspot gets more interesting the more I learn about him. He is probably my favorite new mutant now.

To be honest...Sunspot always seemed like a non-black Latino to me until today. You would have to tell me he is black for me to know that. That's all.
    Uhhhh how many issues of the OG Nee Mutants have you actually read? We've been telling you that the past 2 pages in his first appearance the story let's you know what else could be used to qualify race in comics???

Personally, race and culture is difficult to understand in South America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milici View Post
    I am South American aswell, he is black, he was punched in the face in his first appearence because he was black.
    I meeeean Milici pretty much nailed it short. Simple.
    Oh, I see. Thank you for the clarification guys. My bad if I came off as a little impolite with my questions, perhaps I should have been a bit more delicate. Sunspot gets more interesting the more I learn about him. He is probably my favorite new mutant now.
    ??
    GrindrStone(D)

Thumbs up Alright, Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Uhhhh how many issues of the OG Nee Mutants have you actually read? We've been telling you that the past 2 pages in his first appearance the story let's you know what else could be used to qualify race in comics???

??
    I think I read issue #1 but I don't remember anything from it. Magik wasn't it right? Ahah. Well, again, that was already said. Sir or mam or whatever, let me assure you in the kindest fashion. It's just that I've been telling you for the past two pages that DARK SKIN DOES NOT MEAN BLACK. I talked about Sunspots race again when Micabe made his comment. (It's weird because he brought up my comments about Roberto's race being established, but then he brought up race afterwards...)

I mean, if I see a cool panel like this:rdc.jpg I wouldn't believe it is a black guy or even biracial LOL Like where is is his short curly hair, what is the size of his nose, lips and why does he have colored eyes.(btw I believe he is black now so calm down guys, please.)

You know it's really disrespectful when a group of people who (probably) aren't even black tell a young black male, try to unjustly rebuke a young black male because he was simply questioning the blackness of a fictional character. (re-read that sentance) Broski, I was saying black =x= dark skin, that's all.

"???" No need to be confused. This convo is over. I don't be want to be scolded by people who think they know blackness from comic book panels LMAOOO. Last word is yours broski
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 08-29-2020 at 10:47 AM.

I think I read issue #1 but I don't remember anything from it. Magik wasn't it right? Ahah. Well, again, that was already said. Sir or mam or whatever, let me assure you in the kindest fashion. It's just that I've been telling you for the past two pages that DARK SKIN DOES NOT MEAN BLACK. I talked about Sunspots race again when Micabe made his comment. (It's weird because he brought up my comments about Roberto's race being established, but then he brought up race afterwards...)

I mean, if I see a cool panel like this:rdc.jpg I wouldn't believe it is a black guy or even biracial LOL Like where is is his short curly hair, what is the size of his nose, lips and why does he have colored eyes.(btw I believe he is black so calm down guys, please.)

You know it's really disrespectful when a group of people who (probably) aren't even black tell a young black male, try to unjustly rebuke a young black male because he was simply questioning the blackness of a fictional character. (re-read that sentance) Broski, I was saying black =x= dark skin, that's all.

"???" No need to be confused. This convo is over. I don't be want to be scolded by people who think they know blackness from comic book panels LMAOOO. Last word is yours broski
    Unfortunately I think that tone sometimes gets lost in these forums because some people are genuinely mean-spirited while others are simply seeking clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Unfortunately I think that tone sometimes gets lost in these forums because some people are genuinely mean-spirited while others are simply seeking clarification.
    Quite frankly, I see no reason to be nice any longer, I tried and yet I still get flamed. It's just so weird. But like I said I'm done.
    Last edited by AtheistInRed; 08-29-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Mighty Member

Its funny how folks seem real shocked Roberto is Black. Like on the one hand, I get we come from different places. But antiblackness is global. They certainly know how to call us the N word globally so acting like they dont know Brazil has Black people just seems disingenuous every time I read it. This disavowment of Roberto's Blackness and that Black people actually live in Brazil( as well as the rest of South America which they do) is anti black as hell.

Also my new go to.. Roberto is Black like Pele the soccer player is Black.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Look, I'm brazilian; and here Roberto definitely would be/is considered a black man. Also, from the very beginning of New Mutants, I have always see him as one.