Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    What do you prefer? Garth Ennis deconstruction or Alan Moore's? I like to get your opinions on both... comics and TV shows/movie

Can Someone please insert a Poll?
    I haven't read the Boys comics. I have read Moore's Watchmen and I think it is a stellar piece of work. A lot of comics gets lofty praise and once I have read them, they do fall somewhat short of expectations. Watchmen somehow exceeded my expectations even after everyone was already praising it as one of the finest works in comics. The writing and the art are both so perfect.

I think the Watchmen movie is decent, but it fails to really get the heart of the comics, just like most of Zack Snyder's work. I think he missed the point of Superman in both Man of Steel and BvS: DoJ and he completely missed the mark on Watchmen.

I was reluctant to try the Boys TV show, as it looked from the commercial like it was going to be crap. After a bunch of people swore by it, including one of my friends, I watched it and was surprised how much I loved it.

The Watchmen TV show completely surprised me. Maybe it's blasphemy to say, given the praise I already laid out for the comic, but if there was a 2019 version of the world that the comics set up, I could very well see the TV show being that. The show was brilliant. From what I understand, there won't be any more episodes since Lindeloff has stepped away. Maybe it's for the best. Sometimes things overstay their welcome, but man was the show something special.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

What about show vs show. What characters do you like in Watchmen... how about Boys
    The Boys feels like it might wind up a "Preacher"-level tire fire when it comes to adapting IP while somehow managing to lose ninety-plus percent of what made the IP worth adapting.

Is Garth Ennis mean spirited and angry? Is Alan Moore cynical? Are they both bitter people?
    When it comes to mainstream "Superhero..." comics?

Are you actually posing that question seriously?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    When it comes to mainstream "Superhero..." comics?

Are you actually posing that question seriously?
    I would reply in detail but your avatar freaks me out (and I am not a native speaker)

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I haven't read the Boys comics. I have read Moore's Watchmen and I think it is a stellar piece of work. A lot of comics gets lofty praise and once I have read them, they do fall somewhat short of expectations. Watchmen somehow exceeded my expectations even after everyone was already praising it as one of the finest works in comics. The writing and the art are both so perfect.

I think the Watchmen movie is decent, but it fails to really get the heart of the comics, just like most of Zack Snyder's work. I think he missed the point of Superman in both Man of Steel and BvS: DoJ and he completely missed the mark on Watchmen.

I was reluctant to try the Boys TV show, as it looked from the commercial like it was going to be crap. After a bunch of people swore by it, including one of my friends, I watched it and was surprised how much I loved it.

The Watchmen TV show completely surprised me. Maybe it's blasphemy to say, given the praise I already laid out for the comic, but if there was a 2019 version of the world that the comics set up, I could very well see the TV show being that. The show was brilliant. From what I understand, there won't be any more episodes since Lindeloff has stepped away. Maybe it's for the best. Sometimes things overstay their welcome, but man was the show something special.
    Seriously, I love this. Undecided wether giving HBO my cc details and stream Watchmen (show) right now or wait foooreeverrrrr for the BluRay

Seriously, I love this. Undecided wether giving HBO my cc details and stream Watchmen (show) right now or wait foooreeverrrrr for the BluRay
    Looking Glass is such a cool riff on Rorschach. I am awaiting the Blu-ray.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Looking Glass is such a cool riff on Rorschach. I am awaiting the Blu-ray.
    Are they just trying to drag their heels on that, or do they have some sort of "Bonus..." material up their figurative sleeve?

Since the odds of a second season are as low as they are, I can't figure the way they are losing steam on the possible Blu-Ray set.

Watchmen is better but the Boys is fun with making fun of capeshit.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Are they just trying to drag their heels on that, or do they have some sort of "Bonus..." material up their figurative sleeve?

Since the odds of a second season are as low as they are, I can't figure the way they are losing steam on the possible Blu-Ray set.
    I have waited for GoT to hit BluRay forever. Daredevil on Netflix was even worse than HBO. Why did they drop out of Watchmen? Not following behind the scenes stuff much.

Intermediary

there will not be a second season of Watchmen

it was always intended to be a limited series

IF there is, it probably wont be connected to the first

I enjoyed The Boys more because it has a sense of humor about superheroes and superhero "culture"

I have waited for GoT to hit BluRay forever. Daredevil on Netflix was even worse than HBO. Why did they drop out of Watchmen? Not following behind the scenes stuff much.
    Since a few folks seem to believe it, it seems like it was laid out as a standalone.

That said, a standalone doesn't really just get to easily stay a standalone if it is well received and does solid business.

While there's no telling what could happen, it seems like the network is letting it be based on that they have thought over when it's time to just leave well enough alone.