Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Yeah, under Bendis, those two have become, in some ways, worse than Bruce as parents.
    It really is amazing how all it takes is one issue for near perfect parents to suddenly dive bomb so hard that fucking Batman looks better by comparison. Truly, Bendis is a miracle worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    The panel is from the Catwoman 80th anniversary issue and King's story isn't even listed as the last story in this, which is usually the only one that matters to current events in comics. So I doubt this story has any ramifications for the main universe.
    Big changes like that don't come from a special. Also, Selina doesn't seem to be pregnant in Tynion's book and I really think Tynion is going to focus on his Joker War story and building up to death metal not a baby.

King basically admitted in December that Batman and Catwoman isn't canon to the main universe. It's his own thing and you don't need to read it to get his full Batman story. He's done shaping Batman.

He also said in a world baloon podcast that the book is supposed to span 50 years, first meeting to death, how is a story like that supposed to matter to the main universe?
    That's what I thought. Kinda disappointing. She's not necessary but I still would have liked to see Helena be made canon. After what King did to them, she pretty much became the only reason I was still excited about BatCat.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Let me understand: in December King said that "Batman and Catwoman" will not be in canon, but Tynion said some weeks ago that it is difficult write about the relationship between Batman and Catwoman, because he have to take what King will do with them into consideration?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

"Canon" is pretty much just a marketing gimmick to make consumers some make believe stories are more "real" than other make believe stories. And DC'c canon is pretty much always a house of cards anyway. It being self contained doesn't mean much on its own.

A Batman and Catwoman comic where they learn of Selina's pregnancy and the Phantasm also returns is 100% my jam, but judging by the weirdness of the later parts of King's run the actual execution is up in the air. It'd be on my pull list automatically if someone else was writing it. Though King does better with the mini-series than he does in ongoing titles, so maybe this will land better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I want her to be. Am still annoyed that Bruce gets to keep his kids (well, most of them) and so many others don't (Ollie, Wally, Roy, etc.). Plus, specifically within the Bruce/Selina dynamic - they can be together with him having someone else's child, but not with her doing so. It's a double-standard. Wouldn't be an issue, really, if she'd never had one. After all, he's the bigger character. But afterwards, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    Do you want Steph's baby to come back too then? She gave up her baby for adoption as well and obviously has the means to raise it now with Bruce's resources.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Agreed. Its like DC doesn't know what to do with fun kid characters except to either brutally kill them off (began with Jason Todd, sadly) or suddenly age them up to the point they are nothing like they were(like with Jon being the most recent).
    What ever gave you that idea?

At least Greg Weisman is doing a good job with fun kid characters. Really made Artemis into a great aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I want her to be. Am still annoyed that Bruce gets to keep his kids (well, most of them) and so many others don't (Ollie, Wally, Roy, etc.). Plus, specifically within the Bruce/Selina dynamic - they can be together with him having someone else's child, but not with her doing so. It's a double-standard. Wouldn't be an issue, really, if she'd never had one. After all, he's the bigger character. But afterwards, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth..
    The baby was called Helena though, which would have had to be specifically chosen as a name to tease Bruce being the father. I think when they revealed it was some nobody like Sam Bradley (not even Slam), interest waned in general. Because that was basically a false promise, a more low key version of the build up to the wedding in #50 that didn't pan out.,

If this baby is Helena, the baby she gave up is essentially coming back (for however long that is). Just with the father people would be interested in.

She thinks it's cancer. that is funny. Plus batbucket

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Do you think he going to teach this one the secret technique of communication with punches in the face?
    It's Tom King and we know what Tom think's about Batman and Babies.

Better let Selina handle everything to do with communication.

BANNED

Damian will be jaleous all the attation the new baby have and kidnap the baby to sell the baby on the second market. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    "Canon" is pretty much just a marketing gimmick to make consumers some make believe stories are more "real" than other make believe stories. And DC'c canon is pretty much always a house of cards anyway. It being self contained doesn't mean much on its own.
    Well, when you have a main, relatively longstanding, interconnected continuity, I think there is an importance in-separating something that's "canon" or "in-continuity" from what's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Do you want Steph's baby to come back too then? She gave up her baby for adoption as well and obviously has the means to raise it now with Bruce's resources.
    Steph probably wouldn't take Bruce's money though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

why ? it's not like Bruce's money is dirty.

Well, when you have a main, relatively longstanding, interconnected continuity, I think there is an importance in-separating something that's "canon" or "in-continuity" from what's not.
    At one point maybe, but by now DC's continuity is an unstable house of cards (and has been since the 80s, if not even earlier, it's just much worse now) and many of their biggest classics/evergreen sellers are not even in the main canon to begin with.

I think distinguishing things is important. But I think specifically saying a story is not "important" or "lesser" because it doesn't fit in with some other imaginary system (not saying you're saying this btw) is a bit ridiculous. As a self contained 12 issue series, if this good, it shouldn't matter if it's canon or not.

She uses his resources to help fight crime. Her using his resources to help raise her child seems possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    Let me understand: in December King said that "Batman and Catwoman" will not be in canon, but Tynion said some weeks ago that it is difficult write about the relationship between Batman and Catwoman, because he have to take what King will do with them into consideration?
    He didn't confirm that he had to take what King will write into consideration though. Tynion was talking about ideas of the batcat relationship.
    He said it's difficult to write about their relationship after King's take on them and because King will explore his idea of their relationship in his upcoming book. From the first few issues of Tynion's run alone it's pretty easy to tell that their takes on the relationship differ from each other.
    It's not a confirmation that he has to take King's plot into consideration while writing his book, it could just as easily mean that he feels that his take on them in the main book and King's take in the Batman and Catwoman book might clash.
    Last edited by Astralabius; 04-02-2020 at 02:59 AM.