Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Characters' Middle Names & Family Members' Names

This is something I'm a big enough geek to wonder about.

Superman
    The Wedding Album lists Clark & Lois' full names as Clark Joseph Kent and Lois Joanne Lane. In Smallville, however, Clark's middle name is mentioned as Jerome.
    Obviously, we know Clark's parents are Jor-El & Lara and Jonathan & Martha (or Eben & Sarah on Earth-2), and his uncle & aunt are Zor-El & Alura. Also, I have heard that his biological grandfather was also named Jor-El. On Smallville at least, his paternal grandparents were Hiram & Jessica, and his maternal grandfather is Bill Clark. The idea of Martha Kent's maiden name being Clark is certainly something that has permeated multiple adaptations, but I'm not sure it's ever been made comic book canon.

Batman
    I have heard his middle name as Anthony somewhere. Also, of course, parents are Thomas & MARTHA!!!
    I also believe Dick's middle name is John, after his father (mother: Mary)

Wonder Woman
    Diana, daughter of Hippolyta. We don't even need to get into the Greek pantheon.

Flash
    Bartholomew Henry Allen, son of Henry & Nora Allen.

Green Lantern
    Harold Jordan, son of Martin & Jessica Jordan. Older brother is Jack, younger brother is Jim. Jim's wife is Susan, and their children are Howard and Jane.

And so on, and so forth. Add any other such information from across the universe that you feel is interesting!

Bruce Wayne's middle name is Thomas (Batman #20 (June, 2017) and you are correct Dick's is Richard John Grayson.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Wallys full name is Wallace Rudolph West.

Parents are Rudolph and Mary west. Aunt is Iris West. Grandfather is Ira West. A brilliant scientist but forgetfull.
    Last edited by WallyWestFlash; 03-31-2020 at 10:13 AM.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Guy Gardner's middle name(s) has been stated as both Darrin and Joseph in the comics. Jefferson Michael Pierce is supposedly Black Lightning's full name but i have been unable to locate that in print yet so not sure how official that is. Elongated Man's Randolph William Dibny.

Aquaman
    Arthur Joseph Curry, son of Tom Curry and Atlanna, half-brother of Orm Marius.

The Flash
    Jason Peter Garrick, son of Joseph Garrick and I don't believe his mother's name has been mentioned.

The Flash
    Wallace Rudolph West, son of Rudy and Mary West, nephew of Iris West.

Nightwing
    Richard John Grayson, son of John and Mary Grayson, adoptive son of Bruce Wayne.

Green Lantern
    Guy Darrin Gardner, son of Ebenezer and Gillian Gardner, brother of Gerard and Gloria Gardner.

Green Lantern
    Jessica Viviana Cruz, sister of Sara Cruz and so far parents' names are unknown.

Robin/Red Robin
    Timothy Jackson Drake, son of Jack and Janet Drake, adoptive son of Bruce Wayne.

Black Canary
    Dinah Laurel Lance, daughter of Dinah Drake and Larry Lance.

Green Arrow
    Oliver Jonas Queen, son of Robert and Moira Queen, half-brother of Emiko Queen.

Captain Marvel/Shazam
    William Joseph Batson, son of Marilyn and Clarence Batson, adoptive son of Victor and Rosa Vasquez, adoptive brother of Mary Bromfield, Freddy Freeman, Darla Dudley, Eugene Choi and Pedro Peña.

Lex Luthor
    Alexander Joseph Luthor, son of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, brother of Lena Luthor.

Damn, lots of Josephs.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-31-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Aquaman
    Arthur Joseph Curry, son of Tom Curry and Atlanna, half-brother of Orm Marius.

The Flash
    Jason Peter Garrick, son of of Joseph Garrick and I don't believe his mother's name has been mentioned.

The Flash
    Wallace Rudolph West, son of Rudy and Mary west, nephew of Iris West.

Nightwing
    Richard John Grayson, son of John and Mary Grayson, adoptive son of Bruce Wayne.

Green Lantern
    Guy Darrin Gardner, son of Ebenezer and Gillian Gardner, brother to Gerard and Gloria Gardner.

Green Lantern
    Jessica Viviana Cruz, sister of Sara Cruz and so far parents' names are unknown.

Robin/Red Robin
    Timothy Jackson Drake, son of Jack and Janet Drake, adoptive son of Bruce Wayne.

Black Canary
    Dinah Laurel Lance, daughter of Dinah Drake and Larry Lance,

Oliver Jonas Queen, son of Robert and Moira Queen, older brother to Emiko Queen.

Captain Marvel/Shazam
    William Joseph Batson, biological son of Marilyn and Clarence Batson, adoptive son of Victor and Rosa Vasquez, adoptive brother of Mary Bromfield, Freddy Freeman, Darla Dudley, Eugene Choi and Pedro Peña.

Lex Luthor
    Alexander Joseph Luthor, son of Lionel and Lillian Luthor, brother of Lena Luthor.

Damn, lots of Josephs.
    I thought Arthur Joseph Curry was Aquaman II and that Aquaman I was just Arthur Curry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I thought Arthur Joseph Curry was Aquaman II and that Aquaman I was just Arthur Curry.
    My memory could be deceiving me, but I think there was an outside media product where his middle name was mentioned to be Joseph. Young Justice maybe? I could be wrong but I believe Weisman once posted the characters' age and full names on his blog and Arthur's middle name was Joseph.

Beast Boy (Garfield Mark Logan)
    Red Arrow (Roy William Harper, Jr.)
    Donna Hinckley Stacy Troy
    Batwoman (Katherine Rebecca Kane)
    Batgirl (Barbara Joan Gordon)
    Lois Joanne Lane
    Starman (Theodore Henry Knight)
    Hawkgirl (Kendra Shiera Saunders)
    Doctor Mid-Nite (Pieter Anton Cross)
    Nuklon (Albert Julian Rothstein)
    Huntress (Helena Rosa Bertinelli) - also sometimes Janice.
    Man-Bat (Robert Kirkland Langstrom)
    Red Hood (Jason Peter Todd)
    Question (Charles Victor Szasz)
    Question (Renee Maria Montoya)
    Airwave (Harold Lawrence Jordan)
    Harley Quinn (Harleen Francis Quinzel)
    Captain Atom (Nathaniel Christopher Adam)
    Fire (Beatriz Bonilla DaCosta)
    Booster Gold (Michael Jon Carter)
    Supernova (Daniel Jon Carter)
    Blue Beetle (Theodore Stephen Kord)
    Rocket Red (Dmitri Dmitriyevich Pushkin)
    Pozhar (Mikhail Denisovitch Arkadin)
    Nemesis (Thomas Andrew Tresser)
    Poison Ivy (Pamela Lillian Isley)
    Superboy (Jonathan Samuel Kent)
    Spectre (James Brendan Corrigan)
    Atom (Raymond Carson Palmer) - Legends of Tomorrow
    Last edited by Lonewolf36; 03-31-2020 at 11:44 AM. Reason: adds

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    My memory could be deceiving me, but I think there was an outside media product where his middle name was mentioned to be Joseph. Young Justice maybe? I could be wrong but I believe Weisman once posted the characters' age and full names on his blog and Arthur's middle name was Joseph.
    Thanks! I did not know that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Alfred Thaddeus Pennyworth

Tim Drake - Timothy Jackson Drake

New 52 Superboy of the future - Jonathan Lane Kent

some more

Peter Joseph Ross
    Lana Elizabeth Lang
    James Bartholomew Olsen
    Penguin (Oswald Chesterfield Cobblepot)
    Flamebird (Mary Elizabeth Kane)
    Malcolm Arnold Duncan
    Guardian (James Jacob Harper)
    Dove (Dawn Marie Granger)
    Damage (Grant Albert Emerson)
    Sandman (Wesley Bernard Dodds)
    Deacon Joseph Blackfire
    Jonah Woodson Hex
    Sapphire (Candace Jean Gennaro)
    Azrael (Michael Washington Lane)
    Bat Lash (Bartholomew Aloysius Lash)

Incredible Member

Bruce Wayne's "classical canon" middle name was indeed Anthony, not only in Elseworlds of the late 90s and early 2000s, but in the main universe as well, according to West End Games' Daily Planet Guide to Gotham City, which was created in collaboration with the Batman editorial office and reflects the post-No Man's Land status quo of Gotham at the time.

Of course, then Tom King came up with Thomas, which I don't personally like. Anyway, there's...

Bruce Anthony Wayne
    Richard John Grayson
    Jason Peter Todd
    Timothy Jackson Drake
    Victoria Elizabeth Vale
    Harleen Frances Quinzel
    Pamela Lillian Isley
    Robert Kirkland Langstrom
    Helena Rosa (or Janice) Bertinelli
    James Worthington Gordon
    Barbara Eileen Gordon (Senior)
    Alfred J. Pennyworth, according to the R.I.P. special; Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, according to Detective Annual 3

I could've sworn Stephanie Brown's was Nicole...?
    Last edited by PurpleGlovez; 03-31-2020 at 12:37 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    Bruce Wayne's "classical canon" middle name was indeed Anthony, not only in Elseworlds of the late 90s and early 2000s, but in the main universe as well, according to West End Games' Daily Planet Guide to Gotham City, which was created in collaboration with the Batman editorial office and reflects the post-No Man's Land status quo of Gotham at the time.

Of course, then Tom King came up with Thomas, which I don't personally like. Anyway, there's...

Bruce Anthony Wayne
    Richard John Grayson
    Jason Peter Todd
    Timothy Jackson Drake
    Victoria Elizabeth Vale
    Harleen Frances Quinzel
    Pamela Lillian Isley
    Robert Kirkland Langstrom
    Helena Rosa (or Janice) Bertinelli
    James Worthington Gordon
    Barbara Eileen Gordon (Senior)
    Alfred J. Pennyworth, according to the R.I.P. special; Alfred Thaddeus Crane Pennyworth, according to Detective Annual 3

I could've sworn Stephanie Brown's was Nicole...?
    I don't even know where these all come from, but someone else said Barbara's middle name was Joan.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimybug View Post
    I don't even know where these all come from, but someone else said Barbara's middle name was Joan.
    Joan comes from Batgirl #25 (January, 2014) I think is Barbara Eileen Gordon is the older non Batgirl Barbara?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Joan comes from Batgirl #25 (January, 2014) I think is Barbara Eileen Gordon is the older non Batgirl Barbara?
    Senior - it's Barbara's mom/aunt who is also named Barbara (and/or Earth 2 Mrs. Gordon). I kinda sorta wish they'd just make her Eileen and be done with it. Not really fond of same-name characters. But she's not around (as far as I know - not reading Batgirl), so I guess it doesn't matter. Silver age she was Thelma, and I think that's Barbara's birth mother's name in post-COIE.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 03-31-2020 at 01:06 PM.