Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Marvel Announces plans for April 1st Comics

This morning Marvel announced that it will not be releasing any comics digitally. Well, there goes my pre-order I put in last night at Marvel's digital store for one comic to test it out. I got my confirmation that the order was placed but nothing else.

Same. Rip..
    Yikes, my grammar has gone to ****. Rip

Funny thing is they have no news about this at Marvel.com but then I always thought their home page could be improved in that regard.

hopefully freelancers will still get paid for the work they have done and are doing currently.

As far as I can tell, they are still doing the work. I know the author of the Doctor Doom series Christopher Cantwell tweeted that he turned in the script for issue #10. I do worry about the companies themselves. Their revenue stream is being diminished and they have staff to pay. At least Marvel has Disney to hopefully keep them afloat and they just raised some cash by selling off some debt securities.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-31-2020 at 10:49 AM.

I'm willing to cut Marvel (and DC, as well as all other publishers) a lot of slack on this. These are unprecedented circumstances and the length of time before it's cleared up is unknown. Certainly our thoughts are for the best for creators and staff members, but in a world where even the big companies are unsure what's going on, it's going to be tough to find the best course of action. For example, while it may be possible to produce digital versions of comics during the COVD-19 break, eventually digital and print will need to synchronize again. Questions may exist as to Diamond's capacity and how many weeks' worth of books can be handled at a time. My layman's guess is that April 1st books (seriously, could there be a better release date for this ****?) will be released on a future Wednesday when businesses and public behavior is back to normal. Diamond's capacity and readiness to get back is a big factor. Different states' rules about "non-essential businesses" like LCS reopening may very well vary.

Back issues and trades are pretty much my options here. And fan-fic. By the way, there are solicitations for CBR forums in the sticky section of the Marvel and DC forums which may be fun to look at. And actually buy in a digital sense.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Interesting. I see this as an opportunity for Marvel to brainstorm their content. I can't be the only one who is finding it difficult to find a book that he/she likes. That said, I also realize that whenever there is a major stoppage, there is always the possibility that not every title resumes after the stoppage. Let's all hope this ends quickly and it's business as usual 3-6 months from now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Interesting. I see this as an opportunity for Marvel to brainstorm their content. I can't be the only one who is finding it difficult to find a book that he/she likes. That said, I also realize that whenever there is a major stoppage, there is always the possibility that not every title resumes after the stoppage. Let's all hope this ends quickly and it's business as usual 3-6 months from now.
    You asking for too much.

LOGIC would suggest that.

This should be a time to hear pitches and plan out stuff at least through July 2021. If that has not already been done.

Now would be a good time to plot out some $5-7 one shots for some characters-so you can have as much new stuff ready for stores to order.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

With the amount of money Disney is losing at the current time i think the only thing anyone at Marvel Comics is wondering is if Daddy Disney is going to even keep the comics division going if things don't right themselves in the next few months. Disney likes money and comics in the big picture of the company don't make them squat. If this does cause a major shift in comics with stores closing right and left then marvel comics as we know it today will be a thing of the past.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Imagine if you couldn't download games because of retail shops, imagine not streaming movies or TV shows.

The medium is being held back by this weird attachment to a bygone era.

It's readers who prefer retail, blame them!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Will next weeks books be out on Wednesday? Do we know?

This is interesting. I pre-ordered Doctor Doom #7 on Monday even though I already had paid for it with my pull list on the last day my LCS was open last week. I looked at it just now in the store and instead of April 1st it now says "available April 8th"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Imagine if you couldn't download games because of retail shops, imagine not streaming movies or TV shows.

The medium is being held back by this weird attachment to a bygone era.
    Completely agree

Held back by LCS backwards thinking and they’ll be the death of comics if they’re allowed to continue to dictate.

I can't believe I willed away Marvel comics as revenge of how they treated the Wasp. Ugh my power