Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Look — I’ll be honest and admit that I’m a digital reader. So when I argue for the importance of LCS it’s not because of personal affection.

But the fact of the matter is that LCS are more important to Publishers than digital is. To be clear; I think thatÂ’s largely because the publishers have barely done anything to decrease their reliance on LCS despite the fact theyÂ’ve long been vulnerable to crises.

It was always a when, not an if, something would blow up the LCS. And LCS share a good chunk of the responsibility for that; as a whole, theyÂ’re highly averse to change and adaptation.

Regardless of how we got here: no comics publisher currently has a line that could be financially viable without the direct market. You canÂ’t just expect that retailers going belly up wonÂ’t affect you because you read digital. ItÂ’s unrealistic to assume digital readership would increase enough to support all the books that are currently being solicited.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webtoon

I think the loss of physical market would in time see Marvel and DC transition to more of a webtoon format. The way things are now — individual issues with page counts, etc; that’s a reflection of the realities of physical publishing.

I donÂ’t think doing nothing is a good idea, to be clear. I think retailers are being reactionary and myopic in outright rejecting a solution in the vein of comichub. Marvel and the others need to do *something*. But if that something is to just let retailers die, make no mistake, the impact will be felt just as much by digital only readers like you and I.
    Thank you!

I agree with most your post. If we lose the LCBS, or even a percentage of them, I'm pretty sure Marvel's cancellation line would move substantially up.

We really don't know what the publishers are doing. With Diamond not paying the publishers, which sounds like it is breaking the terms of their exclusive contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if the publishers aren't looking for alternate distributors. Which I tend to think is a good thing, but I'm not sure.

I wonder if Marvel shouldn't start another another universe, sort of like the Ultimates, that was digital only. Likewise, instead of farming out the kids books to IDW, they should consider doing them on a Webtoons or digital only format. They could print the kids book in trades for book store market.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Astonishing Member

I guess some folks never heard of back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Thank you!

I agree with most your post. If we lose the LCBS, or even a percentage of them, I'm pretty sure Marvel's cancellation line would move substantially up.

We really don't know what the publishers are doing. With Diamond not paying the publishers, which sounds like it is breaking the terms of their exclusive contracts, I wouldn't be surprised if the publishers aren't looking for alternate distributors. Which I tend to think is a good thing, but I'm not sure.
    Failing to distribute the April 1 comics that were already in their warehouse is probably also a contract breach. And yeah, it sounds like Diamond are in financial trouble. The publishers need a new distributor, as I'm not confident Diamond will still be around in three months.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    They don't seem to have informed Comixology yet... they're still taking pre-orders for Wednesday's Marvel Comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have one at Marvel's shop on pre-order for April 8th. But there is a disclaimer now saying that date could change
    Then why are Newsarama saying it's confirmed?
    Updated April 6, 2020: Marvel Comics will not release any new comic books digitally or in print on April 8, Newsarama has confirmed.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Then why are Newsarama saying it's confirmed?
    I think the Marvel comic book store is slow updating.

Just logged in this morning. Of course, this may mean nothing and they will just keep bumping it out until they come up with a plan, whatever it is. I'd also like to point out that before my home state made an announcement about closing non-essential businesses, etc. I gave my LCS my pull list through April 1 and paid in advance. I'm only ordering this for a test. So I have purchased the comic anyway and used the free digital code as I usually do under normal circumstances.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-07-2020 at 10:40 AM.

I also poked around their new section just to see what they would have..... These are back issues obviously. BTW, they are having sales and offering a BOGO code on their site. They are also on Marvel Unlimited.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-07-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Mighty Member

So is comixology doing pre-order fot this week or not

They were, as of a few hours ago. They shouldn't be if they're not getting released tomorrow though.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I also poked around their new section just to see what they would have..... These are back issues obviously. BTW, they are having sales and offering a BOGO code on their site. They are also on Marvel Unlimited.
    1.99? You can get a physical copy for half of that in bargain bins. This is my main issue with digital comics, it's an opportunity to bring the prices down but they are still high.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    1.99? You can get a physical copy for half of that in bargain bins. This is my main issue with digital comics, it's an opportunity to bring the prices down but they are still high.
    I agree. I think back issues on their site should only be $1.00. Does DC sell digital back issues?

This is an interesting development but for now they're saying not for the new releases. I wonder what the status is at the printers? That's what is the hold up from what I understand....some are closed down for now. I checked the fine print on the contests page of a recent title I bought and it says Fry Communication in Mechanicsburg, PA. . Nothing on the web site mentions them being closed.

That's because they're not. If printers were closed wouldn't other mags be suspended too and not just comics?

Diamond shipping to homes instead of business addresses means nothing unless they start accepting new product. At least then comic store owners could deliver pull list comics to subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That's because they're not. If printers were closed wouldn't other mags be suspended too and not just comics?

Diamond shipping to homes instead of business addresses means nothing unless they start accepting new product. At least then comic store owners could deliver pull list comics to subscribers.
    I think that it was something reported on another site but I can't recall where. In any case, it doesn't look to be relevant.

Makes you wonder when the last time new product was sent to the printers. Just looked at the article again and noticed that there is a halt by the UPS on deliveries to non-essential businesses? Yikes...that's a bit crazy. Maybe they should let retailers use the hold for pick up option as suggested.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-07-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Fantastic Member

Releasing the books for digital in the meantime wont hurt any industry. Also shipping/mailing the physical copy of books to the diehard "gotta have my physical copy" wont wouldn't hurt either. It always amazes me how some people want to insist that others enjoy things they same way they do and only that one way. If you like digital cool you shouldnt be punished. If you like hard copy enjoy. People will always try to find a way to be divided. I'd rather have books in any medium rather than no books at all and im willing to adjust to either one. Thats reasonable.

I stand by what i said that its stupid not to do anything