Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Night Thrasher: Dwayne Taylor Appreciation 2020

Dwayne Michael Taylor had a privileged yet difficult childhood. He witnessed his parents being killed in front of him as a child and vowed vengeance every sense. Sound familiar? It should. Dwayne forgot about how his parents died and the face of their killer. He trained himself for years and became Night Thrasher. Honestly he is a combination of Batman, Tony Stark (gifted inventor and engineer but not a genius) and a dash of the Punisher. He was originally written as very angry and would often lose control. This was a common and cliched habit that many writers would give Black character but that is a story for another thread. During the day, he ran the Taylor Foundation which he inherited from his parents. Like I said it is a bit familiar narrative. By night, he trained and began to patrol the streets. After donning the mantle of the night's seeker of justice, he decides that he would be more effective if he formed a superhero group. Inspired by the Fantastic Four, his original intent is to have a total for 4 member. He finds 5 other heroes to join him and the New Warriors are born.

I became a fan of Night Thrasher as a kid reading the New Warriors. I always had an appreciation of heroes with martial arts training and this character fit the bill perfectly.

Creators:
    Night Thrasher was created by Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz and first appeared on the last page in The Mighty Thor issue 411 in 1989 and fully in the next issue of The Mighty Thor #412.

Power suit Origin:
    Dwayne had formed a partnership with two mutants, Silhouette and Midnight's fire, before he formed the Warriors but their partnership ended when Silhouette was paralyzed from the waist down by a bullet. Silhouette's brother, Midnight's Fire, blamed Dwayne, and began to try to draw Dwayne into a confrontation. Forced to choose sides Silhouette sided with Dwayne, distancing herself from her brother's evil. It was because of the threat of Midnight's Fire that Dwayne built his power suit. Fire mutant powers gives him physical capabilities just beyond Captain America's so Dwayne had a reason to fear him.

Physical Stats:
    Height: 6’3” Reading the New Warriors book, I did not realized Dwayne was so tall. Most artist do not show his height IMO.
    Weight: 220 lbs.
    Eyes: Brown
    Hair: Black

Abilities:

Thrash is an excellent hand to hand fighting combatant and is trained in various martial arts. Some listing have him so proficient that he is considered a master of at least one. He is an excellent acrobat/gymnast, a talented designer of battle-suits and small armaments, and a good computer hacker. His strength was enhanced by his Mark II combat armor, but not to a superhuman degree.

According to the villain Genecide, Dwayne has unspecified "advanced DNA". In issue #10 of the original New Warriors series, Emma Frost states he was somehow immune to her telepathic scans. The advanced DNA aspect of his genetics has never been explored and has great story and character development potential.

I have always believed that Thrash has good potential as a character but is often ignored and underutilized. And since a there is a New Warriors comic being released this year, it is a great time to appreciate its founding member.
    Last edited by taozen; 03-31-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Mighty Member

Thrash bring Nova, Richard Rider, back into the game:

New-Warriors-team-earliest-thrasher-recruiting-Nova.jpg

Mighty Member

An example of his dynamic combat skills:

Night-Thrasher-vs-Bengal.jpg

Mighty Member

Here is Thrash taking on the Punisher and he get the upper hand on him;

Mighty Member

Thrash vs his archrival Midnight Fire:
    midknightfire vs thrash.jpg

Mighty Member

Just a cool comic opening show when he began his tangle with Frank Castle:

I love this character.
    From the Punisher meeting you referenced, Punisher assesses Dwayne and his gear...:

Always thought Thrash had some big cojones for taking on the Juggernaut one-on-one:

Ultimate Member

I loved his fight with Punisher. A lot of give and take that you rarely see with new characters to establish their cred.

For one of the few baseline humans in the MU, Dwayne actually has a pretty good record against superhumans. He's beaten Midnight Fire, held his own against the Hellions and Folding Circle, and fought the Punisher and Bengal to a standstill not superhumans, but good)

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Always thought Thrash had some big cojones for taking on the Juggernaut one-on-one:
    ^^^heck yeah, that’s ballsy!

Here, imho, Thrash is well on his way to beating Shatterstar, and Shatterstar knows it, as he resorts to a ranged energy attack.
    Not dissing Shatterstar, it was a smart move on his part, considering!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^heck yeah, that’s ballsy!

Here, imho, Thrash is well on his way to beating Shatterstar, and Shatterstar knows it, as he resorts to a ranged energy attack.
    Not dissing Shatterstar, it was a smart move on his part, considering!

Bagley was at the top of his art game in his New Warriors run. His dynamic action style worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Bagley was at the top of his art game in his New Warriors run. His dynamic action style worked really well.
    Oh heck yeah. He was putting out some great work, here.

There was a point Bagley was drawing like 5 books a month and skimping on backgrounds etc, but man this stuff right here, his art was just rich and detailed.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 04-01-2020 at 06:19 PM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

This is a fire thread!!!

Dwayne was one of the best things to come out of the 90's era, and I can't believe he didn't have appreciation thread for all this time.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    This is a fire thread!!!

Dwayne was one of the best things to come out of the 90's era, and I can't believe he didn't have appreciation thread for all this time.
    I agree 100%. Thrash doesn’t get the love he deserves!!! I so want an ongoing with a solid creative team.

Mighty Member

Has anyone read Thrash’s appearance in the Punisher’ book from last year (issues 14-16) or Hawkeye Freefall #4 from this month?
    Are they worth picking up in terms of Thrash content?