Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    So where do you believe Thrash's fighting ability rank? I think he is more skilled than the Punisher and Shatterstar. But would you put him on par with someone like Daredevil? I mean both he a DD defeated the Bengal. I know that Dwayne has not been used that much in comics history so he has not gone against most of Marvel's best fighters, but where do you think he would/should rank?
    In pure theory, he should be up there. He tore Punisher a new one, beat Bengal's @$$, has fought and defeated superhumans.

But he's 3rd string at best, so I don't see him doing well against any established characters anymore

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    In pure theory, he should be up there. He tore Punisher a new one, beat Bengal's @$$, has fought and defeated superhumans.

But he's 3rd string at best, so I don't see him doing well against any established characters anymore
    Do you mean in terms of skill of just that he is not being used so writers will not write him at his old level?

Mighty Member

Anyone know which comic this is.

Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    Anyone know which comic this is.

Marvel Comics 1000
    https://oxymitch.tumblr.com/post/189...ne-taylor-blue
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 04-21-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Mighty Member

We got into a bit of a discussion about Thrash on the Black Panther board as to whether or not Thrash is a genius? It is often written that Dwayne is a talented weapons and armor designer who often dabbles with any new ideas or known possibilities. He also possesses a high proficiency in computer tapping, software coding, security set-up, and hacking. I think I always saw him as a well above average intelligence but I am not sure about genius. So do you all think he's a genius? Genius starts at about 150 to 160 IQ. Would Thrash have lest say a 140 IQ? Hell that's high since an average IQ is about 100. Obviously he is not at Reed's, Doom's, Stark's or T'Challa's level but they are super geniuses. Would you say he is at Peter Parker's original level of intelligence?

He’s well educated, intellectually curious, super resourceful, and strategically brilliant. It’s his work ethic that makes him dangerous, though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    He’s well educated, intellectually curious, super resourceful, and strategically brilliant. It’s his work ethic that makes him dangerous, though.
    Exactly. Thrash's will and determination should push him through so many obstacles and opponents.

Agreed.

Also, I’d say he’s a genius. Many ppl w. genius level IQs aren’t necessarily versed in the sciences.
    taozen posed the question, but also pointed out how Thrash has a high proficiency in computer tapping, software coding, security set-up, and hacking. So Thrash actually does have technical areas where he’s applied his intellect.

Would he rank in the top ten of Marvel’s smartest ppl?
    Unlikely, but there are many other geniuses who wouldn’t either. When you think about who -would- be in that top ten, there’s zero shame in not being on that list.

Fair enough. Personally, I see no upside in labeling him a genius. It invites comparison. And, like you said, he's likely not in the top 10. He's a formidable opponent of pretty much anyone who is in his way. He's definitely above average intelligence. And he's way above average when it comes to hacking and utilizing technology. I just don't weigh his IQ as more important than the work he put in to specifically master those skills. He has been bred as a survivalist with an eye on thriving in a world full of superhumans. He isn't building time machines. But he could find someone who does and would do the homework necessary to utilize one. That impresses me more than someone who just makes intuitive leaps. I just like underdogs.

Fair enough. Personally, I see no upside in labeling him a genius. It invites comparison. And, like you said, he's likely not in the top 10. He's a formidable opponent of pretty much anyone who is in his way. He's definitely above average intelligence. And he's way above average when it comes to hacking and utilizing technology. I just don't weigh his IQ as more important than the work he put in to specifically master those skills. He has been bred as a survivalist with an eye on thriving in a world full of superhumans. He isn't building time machines. But he could find someone who does and would do the homework necessary to utilize one. That impresses me more than someone who just makes intuitive leaps. I just like underdogs.
    I'm w. you 100% on how he was bred and how he'd do things, and that its impressive.

Unfortunately i'm also w. you in that it invites comparison. Comics fans are funny that way. Its not enough to be a genius, a character has to be IN-THE-TOP-TEN, or he somehow isnt enough of a genius. It doesnt really bother me if Marvel doesnt confirm Thrash's genius. I've always had my opinions on what certain characters are and arent/can/cant do.
    And Thrash is one smart cookie!

No doubt. I just reread the Money Don’t Buy storyline. There’s some really good insight into his character in that one. He’s actively figuring things out and trying to learn from the other heroes he encountered. Best was his adventure with Tchalla. He was in awe of how the Panther controlled his people; his ability to strategize in the middle of a battle and coordinate them. Dwayne has the potential to do all of that. But he has to work at it.

No doubt. I just reread the Money Don’t Buy storyline. There’s some really good insight into his character in that one. He’s actively figuring things out and trying to learn from the other heroes he encountered. Best was his adventure with Tchalla. He was in awe of how the Panther controlled his people; his ability to strategize in the middle of a battle and coordinate them. Dwayne has the potential to do all of that. But he has to work at it.
    I’d love to see someone who thinks of him in that manner get a chance to write him for an extended period. Watching him evolve would be a great ride.

Mighty Member

I haven't read that Thrash series in so long, I've forgotten what happens in them. The only writer that will occasionally use Thrash as a guest star is Matthew Rosenberg. He admitted that he is a fan of the character and used him as a guest star in 3 or 4 of his series. I hope they will give him a series again at some point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Agreed.

Also, I’d say he’s a genius. Many ppl w. genius level IQs aren’t necessarily versed in the sciences.
    taozen posed the question, but also pointed out how Thrash has a high proficiency in computer tapping, software coding, security set-up, and hacking. So Thrash actually does have technical areas where he’s applied his intellect.

Would he rank in the top ten of Marvel’s smartest ppl?
    Unlikely, but there are many other geniuses who wouldn’t either. When you think about who -would- be in that top ten, there’s zero shame in not being on that list.
    I bought of this point on another board. I was arguing that MCU Black Panther has not been shown to be a genius in any of the MCU movies. I said that the one line in the BP movie that he designed the Cap. American Civil War suit does not necessarily make him a genius. I used Thrash as an example as a gifted designer that has not been designated a genius. Some said that Thrash was a genius so I brought the question to this board. He could be a low level genius or just below a genius IQ. This could be explored in conflict with villains that are known to be a genius. I could see Thrash as a master level tactician and manipulator who is extremely gifted with technology.

Mighty Member

Artist Shawn Alleyne take on Thrash:

nuperspective-night-thrasher.jpg