Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Ares simply tells Diana that he never caused the war and humanity does it themselves. Diana try to fight Ares but Ares casually tanks her attacks causing Diana to become more angry and hateful resulting in unleashing her God mod. This startles Ares.
    She attacks Ares with all her power and Ares tries to block it with his sword. This results in a big nuclear explosion of divine energy vaporising kilometres of land and soldiers.

Diana emerges from the rubbles shocked at the destruction she caused. She begins too weep at her actions.
    Area appears and says he is unkillable as long as war and violence exist among Humans. Diana remembers Steve's sacrifice. She vows to erase war and Violence and promote love and peace and defeat Ares.
    Ares starts to hysterically laughs hearing Diana vows. Diana walks away from Ares further determined.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    How would you have done the 3rd act differently with Diana and Ares?
    I would have kept Geoff Johns away from this movie.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

She kills General Luddendorf....and nothing happens. There is no CGI smoke monster manipulating mankind. It is there that she sees Steve's great sacrifice and realizes that humankind is fluid, there's no easy answers.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-21-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    She kills General Luddendorf....and nothing happens. There is no CGI smoke monster manipulating mankind. It is there that she sees Steve's great sacrifice and realizes that humankind is fluid, there's no easy answers.
    So the same ending but with a minor change. The CGI smoke monster wasn't manipulating mankind in the movie either. Just one overzealous general.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    So the same ending but with a minor change. The CGI smoke monster wasn't manipulating mankind in the movie either. Just one overzealous general.
    One overzealous general? Nah man, WW1 was way more complicated and than that.

No one is manipulating the world, conflicts just happen between individuals because humans have more than 2 emotions.

Wonder Woman would accept that, but still press on fighting for people because she's a hero.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-24-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Retired

My main takeaway is that it's not the soliders and not the commanding officers that are the true source of belligerence in the world. It's the petty bureaucrats like Lord Patrick.

That's the irony of it all. Diana is looking for a big military man, when really Ares is a tiny man who has no real power of his own but thrives off the power he gets from warring humans. He only gets big when she displays her power. And when she embraces love and forgiveness, he becomes powerless.

Lord Patrick is brokering the peace, but in reality he understands that by doing so--by fostering an unstable treaty between the nationalist forces--he's really creating the foundations for an even more terrible Second World War. As Ludendorff says to Diana, "Peace is only an armistice in an endless war.”

This is what Ares wants and needs. If humankind destroyed itself, there would be no war. Humans have to keep going to war, for Ares to continue. However, I think when Lord Patrick first sees Diana, he recognizes there's another hope for him. Given she is a divinity herself, Ares can retrieve the glory he once had through her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My main takeaway is that it's not the soliders and not the commanding officers that are the true source of belligerence in the world. It's the petty bureaucrats like Lord Patrick.

That's the irony of it all. Diana is looking for a big military man, when really Ares is a tiny man who has no real power of his own but thrives off the power he gets from warring humans. He only gets big when she displays her power. And when she embraces love and forgiveness, he becomes powerless.

Lord Patrick is brokering the peace, but in reality he understands that by doing so--by fostering an unstable treaty between the nationalist forces--he's really creating the foundations for an even more terrible Second World War. As Ludendorff says to Diana, "Peace is only an armistice in an endless war.”

This is what Ares wants and needs. If humankind destroyed itself, there would be no war. Humans have to keep going to war, for Ares to continue. However, I think when Lord Patrick first sees Diana, he recognizes there's another hope for him. Given she is a divinity herself, Ares can retrieve the glory he once had through her.
    what do you mean Ares has no power of his own? He destroyed her sword with his bare hands. He was just pretending to be a little, fragile man.

My sister told me Ares was basically the devil trying to recruit Diana to his evil side. But love saved her. The love of Steve, his selflessness let her see humans deserved a chance. Some are bad, some are good.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 04-24-2020 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    One overzealous general? Nah man, WW1 was way more complicated and than that.

No one is manipulating the world, conflicts just happen between individuals because humans have more than 2 emotions.
    The movie never claimed that World War 1 was happening because of one overzealous general. it never even claimed the war happened because of Ares.

What Ares was trying to do was keep the war going for his own reasons and he was using the general to accomplish that goal. That is what Diana was trying to stop. The film is very clear on the fact that humans are more than capable of war and bloodshed without Ares' influence.

Wonder Woman would accept that, but still press on fighting for people because she's a hero.
    Again, exactly what happened at the end of the film.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 04-24-2020 at 04:05 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    what do you mean Ares has no power of his own? He destroyed her sword with his bare hands. He was just pretending to be a little, fragile man.

My sister told me Ares was basically the devil trying to recruit Diana to his evil side. But love saved her. The love of Steve, his selflessness let her see humans deserved a chance. Some are bad, some are good.
    Ares has no power but what he gets from others. That's why he has to keep wars going. He was thrown down from heaven--he's hobbled a la Hephaestus. This could be a disguise, but I think it reflects his actual state. All the gods are gone and the rituals that kept them powerful are ended. Ares has the power to inspire Ludendorff and Dr. Poison to make more war--but it doesn't seem like he can do more than that. Not that he needs to, since humans are quite capable on their own.

This is just my take, but it strikes me that Lord Patrick only appears to Diana after she has killed Ludendorff--and there's that explosion when she kills Ludendorff. See my left to right analysis of the whole movie. It's Diana going back on her values that feeds Ares and makes him more powerful. He draws greater strength from her turn to belligerence--a lot more than what he gets from humans. The sword doesn't work on him because it isn't the god killer, she is. So that illusion she had is destroyed.

He is like Lucifer--who also was thrown out of heaven. But Lucifer has no power of his own--if human beings didn't listen to him we would be living in an earthly paradise.

One thing I was missing in the third act was anything resembling an explanation of her powers and what her bracelets are and why she'd worn them here whole life without thinking about it then suddenly they're the key to victory which nobody questions because everyone knows "Wonder Woman uses her bracelets - that's her thing," so.... okay.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    One thing I was missing in the third act was anything resembling an explanation of her powers and what her bracelets are and why she'd worn them here whole life without thinking about it then suddenly they're the key to victory which nobody questions because everyone knows "Wonder Woman uses her bracelets - that's her thing," so.... okay.
    The entire amazons and even Ares wears bracelets like Wondy in the movie

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I always find it funny how fans can both clamor for and then criticize CGI in films.

I actually loved the third act of Wonder Woman. If Wonder Woman had a weakness, it was the weird Doctor Poison/German General subplot. But even that was fine.