Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's 3rd Act

How would you have done the 3rd act differently with Diana and Ares?

Didn't have a problem with it so not really sure what I would have done different. Maybe get a more manly looking man to be Ares?

It’s an absolute cop-out that we find out that Ares is just a small man in a general’s uniform directing the war from behind a desk, but then they have him turn into a **** CGI monster so Diana has someone to fight. Sort of like a cinematic version of the infamous US military wargame against asymmetric opponents that was so frustrating for the participants that they demanded that the opposing forces were given some warships so they had something to shoot at.

If they were going to use an actor of the calibre of David Thewlis in the role it needed to be more of a battle of ideas than a literal battle, with WW inspiring the soldiers to lay down their arms instead of fight (kind of like, y’know, what the story is about). Instead, we get an Unreal Engine cutscene.

Retired

It worked for me. Maybe, the visuals should have looked like the earlier animated sequence where Hippolyta tells Diana the story of the gods. If they leaned into the artifice of the battle--contrasting that with the grounded events involving Steve and his ratpack--people would get the point that it's on a surreal level, given these are gods and they are in a hyper-reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Didn't have a problem with it so not really sure what I would have done different. Maybe get a more manly looking man to be Ares?
    The 3rd act gets dumped on for turning into another bloated CGI comic movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    How would you have done the 3rd act differently with Diana and Ares?
    There is no Ares when the General dies and he is not Ares she learns the War is man's doing alone no influence from the Gods. She now has seen the worst in man but also the best with the sacrifice of Steve Trevor. She helps to end the War and then tells Etta she has decided to take a non active role in Man's Affairs for the foreseeable future until she can decide if the good in Man out ways the evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It’s an absolute cop-out that we find out that Ares is just a small man in a general’s uniform directing the war from behind a desk, but then they have him turn into a **** CGI monster so Diana has someone to fight. Sort of like a cinematic version of the infamous US military wargame against asymmetric opponents that was so frustrating for the participants that they demanded that the opposing forces were given some warships so they had something to shoot at.

If they were going to use an actor of the calibre of David Thewlis in the role it needed to be more of a battle of ideas than a literal battle, with WW inspiring the soldiers to lay down their arms instead of fight (kind of like, y’know, what the story is about). Instead, we get an Unreal Engine cutscene.
    I think we got that when Ares confronted Diana and showed her that he wasn't solely responsible for the war and that her efforts, at least from her perspective at the time, were pointless and goaded her to give up on her principles.

Of course there was a fight involved, but it was still a Superhero movie.
    The 3rd act gets dumped on for turning into another bloated CGI comic movie.
    That makes it sound like there was a sky beam and the battlefield turns into some kind of psychedelic CGI-fest.

Retired

Calling it the third act is a bit misleading. I timed it once and I think the part with WW against godded-up Ares is about ten minutes of the movie. And while that's happening there's all the stuff with Steve, which was one of the most impactful parts of the movie. So if you're saying the last twenty minutes of a film with a 141 minute run time is its third act, okay; but it's not one third of the total movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we got that when Ares confronted Diana and showed her that he wasn't solely responsible for the war and that her efforts, at least from her perspective at the time, were pointless and goaded her to give up on her principles.

Of course there was a fight involved, but it was still a Superhero movie.

That makes it sound like there was a sky beam and the battlefield turns into some kind of psychedelic CGI-fest.
    If Wonder Woman was a high fantasy film, the 3rd Act would be seen in a better light. The psychedelic CGI-fest felt unnecessary as a conclusion to the first two acts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Calling it the third act is a bit misleading. I timed it once and I think the part with WW against godded-up Ares is about ten minutes of the movie. And while that's happening there's all the stuff with Steve, which was one of the most impactful parts of the movie. So if you're saying the last twenty minutes of a film with a 141 minute run time is its third act, okay; but it's not one third of the total movie.
    This. The whole 'Wonder Woman's third act is bad' meme really does strike me as a talking point and not an organic opinion. Steve 'Chad' Trevors death is so fantastic that its one of the few times I'll permit them to bring back a character.

I've personally said before that I don't like the Aries fight because I think there shouldn't have been an Aries at all. The movie would have been better if WW realized that she was chasing a ghost.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 04-01-2020 at 05:43 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This. The whole 'Wonder Woman's third act is bad' meme really does strike me as a talking point and not an organic opinion. Steve 'Chad' Trevors death is so fantastic that its one of the few times I'll permit them to bring back a character.
    This wasn't the 3rd act. That was the good set up for it.

I've personally said before that I don't like the Aries fight because I think there should have been an Aries at all. The movie would have been better if WW realized that she was chasing a ghost.
    You and me both. I didn't like the Ares fight as well. The fight is the 3rd act of the film I would have changed or taken out.

Retired

This wasn't the 3rd act. That was the good set up for it.
    I feel like that's moving the goal posts. And Steve's self-sacrifice happens in the middle of the WW/Ares fight.

Remembering my Syd Fields, I'd say the first act is from the intro to when Steve and Diana are on the boat headed for London; second act is from when they arrive in London to when they free the town and have their love scene; third act starts the morning after and goes until the outro.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Fargo Season 3, sir

The problem is not WW fighting Ares or superhero typical CGI. It looks colorless and uninspired/not well choreographed. There's your problem.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 04-02-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Thought the last act was okay.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)