Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I didn't know people had a problem with it - I liked it.

Also disagree on the notion there shouldn't have been an Aries, would have felt like a copout and that we went along with Diana for no payoff.

Retired

Ares is the MacGuffin.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd be pissed if we didn't get Ares. I can see the logic in saying it's a copout, but the film makes clear that he doesn't make mankind do what they do, he just takes advantage and fans the flames a bit. But a superhero movie without one of Diana's major antagonists, specifically the best one suited for her origin, would be a massive ripoff.

The major problem is the actor is not physically suited to play Ares, at least after he armors up. Thewlis worked great for an unassuming mortal disguise, but they should have gone full Perez with the armored look and not have anything visible inside the helmet besides the glowing red eyes. Get a bigger actor to do the motions for that, but keep Thewlis for the voice. It is very cheesy seeing the inside of that helmet with that mustache lol.

I had no problem with the fight. I just think they needed a better design for Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd be pissed if we didn't get Ares. I can see the logic in saying it's a copout, but the film makes clear that he doesn't make mankind do what they do, he just takes advantage and fans the flames a bit. But a superhero movie without one of Diana's major antagonists, specifically the best one suited for her origin, would be a massive ripoff.

The major problem is the actor is not physically suited to play Ares, at least after he armors up. Thewlis worked great for an unassuming mortal disguise, but they should have gone full Perez with the armored look and not have anything visible inside the helmet besides the glowing red eyes. Get a bigger actor to do the motions for that, but keep Thewlis for the voice. It is very cheesy seeing the inside of that helmet with that mustache lol.
    LOL This. Beyond that though, put me down as someone who otherwise didn't have a problem with the final fight.

I had no problem with the fight or Ares being there at the end. But I feel that the movie should have established Ares better up front to make for a better payoff at the end. And perhaps if you do that, then also have Athena show up at the end in some manner. Go all out and make it gods vs gods.

Alternatively, I'd have made the villains just be mankind, alone. And had Ares' face appear in the cloud at the end overseeing things, Lion King style. Imply that he is the inventor of war, but don't make him a direct player in events. Its beneath him.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    If Wonder Woman was a high fantasy film, the 3rd Act would be seen in a better light. The psychedelic CGI-fest felt unnecessary as a conclusion to the first two acts.
    I think there were enough fantastical elements as is with an amazonian demigoddess in World War 1 fighting soldiers to warrant it. And I wouldn't call it "psychedelic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I had no problem with the fight or Ares being there at the end. But I feel that the movie should have established Ares better up front to make for a better payoff at the end. And perhaps if you do that, then also have Athena show up at the end in some manner. Go all out and make it gods vs gods.
    I don't know how much more upfront they could have been since they made it clear Diana went to Man's World because she believed stopping him would end the war.

I don't really fault the creators for having Aries be the final boss of the film as that is how he is usually treated in the comic book. The people who watch these movies don't actually like subverting expectations and want a big fight at the end of the film (The backlash from the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 is a good example of this).
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know how much more upfront they could have been since they made it clear Diana went to Man's World because she believed stopping him would end the war.
    Clearly Ares was a theme throughout the movie, but I would have added something similar to the first LotR movie, which showed the combined armies of men and elves fighting Sauron and his forces on a battlefield in the past. Show the Amazons in a big physical confrontation with Ares and his forces, or have him talking at least - something to establish him a little better as a character.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't really fault the creators for having Aries be the final boss of the film as that is how he is usually treated in the comic book. The people who watch these movies don't actually like subverting expectations and want a big fight at the end of the film (The backlash from the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 is a good example of this).
    Iron Man 3 made over a Billion dollars only some comic book fans had an issue with Mandarin. Wonder Woman's Ares fight was met with critism by even some mainstream critics. No one felt it ruined the movie just that it felt like Patty Jenkins film got highjacked for a few minutes by Zack Snyder.

Retired

I'd like to see a more structured approach to movies from now on. I want the Acts to be identified and there should be intermissions between the Acts. I think this would help with hygiene and sanitation. We could all go to the washroom and do our business between the Acts. And the cleaning staff could come in and tidy up the theatre. I'm calling for a new age of civility and cleanliness in the theatre-going experience of the future.

I noticed some people are referring to Ares as Aries. Ares is the Greek god of war. Aries is the ram (male sheep) which provided the Golden Fleece (sheep skin) in the story of Jason and the Argonauts
    Also the name of the constellation Aries and the sign of the zodiac Aries came from. Two different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Iron Man 3 made over a Billion dollars only some comic book fans had an issue with Mandarin. ust that it felt like Patty Jenkins film got highjacked for a few minutes by Zack Snyder.
    Bragging about terrible movies making over a billion dollars. You are proving Scorsese's point right about MCU movies.
    Wonder Woman's Ares fight was met with critism by even some mainstream critics. No one felt it ruined the movie .No one felt it ruined the movie just that it felt like Patty Jenkins film got highjacked for a few minutes by Zack Snyder.
    To Infinity Wars been mostly 97% CGI for all acts of the film. Endgame committed more CGI crimes in the 3rd Act.

The 3rd act of Wonder Woman was criticised as it felt overblown compared to the first and second act, the movie never set itself up for such a final fight, but make no mistake,wonder Woman is not a bad film. Iron Man 3 is a bad film that set out to be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    There is no Ares when the General dies and he is not Ares she learns the War is man's doing alone no influence from the Gods. She now has seen the worst in man but also the best with the sacrifice of Steve Trevor. She helps to end the War and then tells Etta she has decided to take a non active role in Man's Affairs for the foreseeable future until she can decide if the good in Man out ways the evil.
    This, the initial twist that there wasn’t Ares was great. Finding out there was an Ares who played a key part in the War brought down the movie considerably. The fight was pretty meh and anti-climatic too.
    Don’t get me wrong there absolutely should have been a final slug match but they could have just had the general guy transform into a monster like Wade Eiling.

Retired

What would have been the point of all the other things in the movie that led up to Ares being revealed? You'd have to strip all that out, because it would just leave audiences scratching their heads. And the movie would have had a lot less to it. The little turn in the movie that shows Diana she doesn't know what she thinks she knows was a pretty cool twist, the first time I watched it (but not so much the other seven times I watched it).